A place to discuss anything.
Euler

I didn't read it that way
eightbo

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:15 pm
eightbo wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:05 am
Personally, I like to address and 1-up the hater. I find genuine joy in picturing the hater reading the response and getting all worked up :twisted:.
You've essentially dealt with the issue by doing so, and how you structure your response can help aid those neutrals reach a conclusion as to whether or not to believe the comment. If they were to reply further, you can just ignore them (continued low-effort).
My only worry with this would be a never ending back and forth but if you can have the discipline to ignore them after the first comment its probably the best way.
Yeah, I mean you should view it as a game, one you need to apply strategy to. I suspect you could learn that discipline if you cared enough.

I've got a bit of a following from a video game I play and am no stranger to haters.

The recipe for a hater seems to be:
The person can't do what you do (jealousy / disbelief / spite / etc.)
+
The person has certain personality traits (short-tempered / reach conclusions easily / happy to believe things which aren't proven / etc.)

I think there's two main categories of hater:
- the bored hater / troll (not very invested)
- the invested hater (you've upset them in some way and they're seeking vengeance)

The former will quickly give up if you don't give them attention, their comments are probably pretty basic and neutrals will be familiar with this kind of comment so will probably dismiss it easily.

But the invested hater should be dealt with, as their stories are probably more advanced, they may well return scale up the frequency / severity of their posts if it appears can get away with it (think Stanford Prison Experiment).

Addressing then ignoring saves face and provides some necessary resistance to mitigate that scaling up where possible.

Hater's are people too, and won't like being made fun of, so that approach can dissuade them from 'scaling up'.
There must be other ways to reach the same end, though.
ShaunWhite

From the Psychology of Money posting ..

The paradox of wealth is that people tend to want it to signal to others that they should be liked and admired. But in reality those other people bypass admiring you, not because they don’t think wealth is admirable, but because they use your wealth solely as a benchmark for their own desire to be liked and admired.

You can't change (their) human nature.

As Sun Tzu says, "You can ensure the safety of your defense if you only hold positions that cannot be attacked."
JTEDL

time for a bump - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbWSgwTcHVs

2nd comment made from a certain person:

'it's all a show.. Pete is a hustler. Notice the screens. looks at the graph and table screens. Ask yourself, why have those screens on? What is he trying to convey? Than look at his first screen? Make the connection. Pete is smart, but I know a hustler when I hear one.'

nice vid BTW very true, (absolute god = psychoff ;) )
Euler

Message received in support this morning. I just had to share it.
It's a scam run by Betfair.....,..mathematically impossible to profit long term from this nonsense..........thank god I stuck to training mode........... should be forced to say on the software "if you do this long term you will lose money"...........no such thing as a successful Betfair trader......modern urban myth😂😂😂
Euler

I can sort of see where some of those sort of comments come from though. There are so many people pretending to be traders and pushing duff information so much that your average newbie could burn through a ton of systems and cash and never get anywhere. There are so few real traders offering advice now, I'd imagine most get drowned out by people who make a living selling 'advice' which doesn't have any real relevance. It seems people slap the trading label on anything now if it can earn them a few quid.
Derek27

I've met many people like the guy you quoted in my gambling days, who believed it's impossible to beat the bookies. The frustrating thing is that people talk complete bollocks about things they know absolutely nothing about, and yet they are 100% confident that they're right!
LeTiss

I understand the confusion. Not everyone will be successful at this, some people will lose money......lots of it. That causes anger and resentment, and a feeling they've been done

Since being on Twitter for the past 6 months, I've been contacted by many who claim to be trading experts. Within 30 seconds i realise they are anything, but experts

Therefore, people like PW just get tarnished by these muppets. Novice traders can't see the wood from the trees with social media experts, and just end up dismissing those who are genuine experts
weemac

There might also be a more intelligently calculated method to their apparent madness. There could be a deliberate ploy of using extreme negativity to try to tempt/force you into 'giving away' some strategy that works.

If I proffered such negativity, that would be my sole reason for doing so.
LeTiss

weemac wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:17 pm
There might also be a more intelligently calculated method to their apparent madness. There could be a deliberate ploy of using extreme negativity to try to tempt/force you into 'giving away' some strategy that works.

If I proffered such negativity, that would be my sole reason for doing so.
That hadn't even crossed my mind..........my god you're a devious bastard weemac :D
Allan R

Anna List wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:10 pm
50% of the people in this world have a below average IQ. I find that a scary thought.

There are some smart cookies on this forum. Out there, in the wider betting world, it's a different story. Go into any betting shop at random and listen to the jibber jabber that takes place. It's frightening. How on earth some of them manage to tie their shoe laces of a morning is beyond me. It therefore comes as a shock that some of them even learn to read and write and find their way on to social media.

We live in a democracy. We wouldn't like our freedom of speech to be curtailed and therefore, we have no right to curtail the freedom of others, regardless of how much we may dislike and/or reject hearing the thoughts of others. Someone once said, I may not agree with what you say but I will defend your right to say it.

Bookmakers, to a great extent, have become expert in the exploitation of human weaknesses in order to acquire wealth. On the one hand, we are all responsible for our own well-being. On the other, it would not be a caring society that ignores the weak and less fortunate.

There are people in this life who see gambling as some kind of ill that afflicts society and takes advantage of the vulnerable. Maybe the social media poster is of this ilk, maybe not. Maybe the poster sees you, Peter, as being a part of this ill, maybe not. Right now, you don't know the nature of his angst or why.

You could ignore him, of course, but this could be seen by many as an admission that the poster is correct.on't forget that 50% of those on social media are as thick as trees. Ignoring him could also inflame the situation. Some people take umbrage at being ignored.

In your position, I would ask him for proof of his claims. If he takes a hike, he will be seen as holding fresh air. If he responds, you might then be in a better position to defend. Someone once said, if you intend to retaliate, first know thine enemy.

There again, I'm not you and I'm not in your position.

Hope this helps.
"50% of the people in this world have a below average IQ. I find that a scary thought."

We used to live in caves and rub sticks together to make fire..We have come a long way...Dont be scared.. :roll:

"Go into any betting shop at random and listen to the jibber jabber that takes place. It's frightening."

Why would anyone do this?..The words you use in this post, would suggest you dont spend much time in the bookies.
How frightening is it?? :roll:

"How on earth some of them manage to tie their shoe laces of a morning is beyond me. It therefore comes as a shock that some of them even learn to read and write and find their way on to social media."

Not everybody has the same opportunities in life, leading to them having less knowledge than others..
Someone with a low "IQ" could be a great football player or a great artist...or even a great trader :D

"it would not be a caring society that ignores the weak and less fortunate"

See above comments??. :lol:

"You could ignore him, of course, but this could be seen by many as an admission that the poster is correct."

I could not disagree more..A comment from a guy with no name..Against Peter Webb!..The guy lost the moment he had the idea :lol: ..And the trading community know this.

This is all, just my opinion..i have no proof of claims :shock:
Just one last thing.....UMBRAGE...WT.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
threedogs

Allan R wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:43 pm
Anna List wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:10 pm
50% of the people in this world have a below average IQ. I find that a scary thought.

There are some smart cookies on this forum. Out there, in the wider betting world, it's a different story. Go into any betting shop at random and listen to the jibber jabber that takes place. It's frightening. How on earth some of them manage to tie their shoe laces of a morning is beyond me. It therefore comes as a shock that some of them even learn to read and write and find their way on to social media.

We live in a democracy. We wouldn't like our freedom of speech to be curtailed and therefore, we have no right to curtail the freedom of others, regardless of how much we may dislike and/or reject hearing the thoughts of others. Someone once said, I may not agree with what you say but I will defend your right to say it.

Bookmakers, to a great extent, have become expert in the exploitation of human weaknesses in order to acquire wealth. On the one hand, we are all responsible for our own well-being. On the other, it would not be a caring society that ignores the weak and less fortunate.

There are people in this life who see gambling as some kind of ill that afflicts society and takes advantage of the vulnerable. Maybe the social media poster is of this ilk, maybe not. Maybe the poster sees you, Peter, as being a part of this ill, maybe not. Right now, you don't know the nature of his angst or why.

You could ignore him, of course, but this could be seen by many as an admission that the poster is correct.on't forget that 50% of those on social media are as thick as trees. Ignoring him could also inflame the situation. Some people take umbrage at being ignored.

In your position, I would ask him for proof of his claims. If he takes a hike, he will be seen as holding fresh air. If he responds, you might then be in a better position to defend. Someone once said, if you intend to retaliate, first know thine enemy.

There again, I'm not you and I'm not in your position.

Hope this helps.
"50% of the people in this world have a below average IQ. I find that a scary thought."

We used to live in caves and rub sticks together to make fire..We have come a long way...Dont be scared.. :roll:

"Go into any betting shop at random and listen to the jibber jabber that takes place. It's frightening."

Why would anyone do this?..The words you use in this post, would suggest you dont spend much time in the bookies.
How frightening is it?? :roll:

"How on earth some of them manage to tie their shoe laces of a morning is beyond me. It therefore comes as a shock that some of them even learn to read and write and find their way on to social media."

Not everybody has the same opportunities in life, leading to them having less knowledge than others..
Someone with a low "IQ" could be a great football player or a great artist...or even a great trader :D

"it would not be a caring society that ignores the weak and less fortunate"

See above comments??. :lol:

"You could ignore him, of course, but this could be seen by many as an admission that the poster is correct."

I could not disagree more..A comment from a guy with no name..Against Peter Webb!..The guy lost the moment he had the idea :lol: ..And the trading community know this.

This is all, just my opinion..i have no proof of claims :shock:
Just one last thing.....UMBRAGE...WT.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Off subject but I once did the Great North run and came in about 18000th out of 38000 runners and was moaning to my friend saying eighteen thousand runners have beaten me and he replied immediately that I had also beaten twenty thousand other runners which made me feel better .....
JTEDL

I see a certain 3 'pro traders' got a bit of grief on twitter yesterday when they announced an 'Exclusive Pro Trader Event sponsored by Betfair' ;)
Naffman

Billed as 'trading is set to change forever' and then they come up with that :P
LeTiss

JTEDL wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:31 am
I see a certain 3 'pro traders' got a bit of grief on twitter yesterday when they announced an 'Exclusive Pro Trader Event sponsored by Betfair' ;)
I have 3 differing opinions on those guys -

Mark Iverson is worth listening to. He has tremendous knowledge on trading cricket, and retains humility in his approach to other traders. A knowledgeable, classy guy

Steve Howe, I went off. He was a tremendously entertaining guy in the early days of being Mugs, and was always full of great advice. However, he then started to suck his own dick and considered himself the new Peter Webb, offering videos and courses in that drab Brummy accent. No thanks

Caan Berry is simply a full on bellend

Return to “General discussion”