Completely daft messages on social media

A place to discuss anything.
Moody Mare

ruthlessimon wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:18 pm

They must be pretty deluded to call you a gambling addict. You should come on the forum more, although we may be considered egotistical, sounds like you could offer some really interesting insights. What sports are you trading?

-That said, if I was demonstrating to wider family, I'd slap spreadsheets in their faces - & walk em through the biases - no where near the screens. Luckily cos they know sod all about trading they wouldn't be able to use it!
ah thanks, that's very nice of you to say - Maybe this forum isn't so bitchy after all!
I trade horse racing and greyhounds, would be interested in other sports though, its just having the time to learn something new when there's pretty much always a horse racing or greyhound race coming up! Maybe if we get a lot of abandoned racing meetings this winter i'll take the opportunity to look elsewhere
Euler

You deserve a lot of credit for being a higher rate PC payer. Anybody who gets to those levels and stays there deserves credit, especially if they did it from scratch without guidance. That would actually elevate you above the vast majority on the sell side.
ShaunWhite

invisiblelayer wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:45 pm
Grief from folk that cowardly they don't even have names or real pictures
Says 'invisiblelayer' with no photo on his profile ;)
Derek27

Moody Mare wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:56 pm
I've been a higher rate PC payer for some time. I have winning trades and losing trades (obviously!). The 3 times I tried to explain to my wider family what I do, I decided to trade live and demonstrate. all 3 times were losing trades!!! So it doesnt matter that I make X figures a year from trading, they saw me lose! and and so dont take what I do seriously, they probably think i'm deluded. So thats why I dont put too much stock into who does and doesnt trade live, noone wins every time, or you can get lucky when youre demonstrating and have the perfect trade with everything going your way. Unfortunately I didnt and my family think i'm just a gambling addict. Personally i'll never live trade for anyone again,
That really is sod's law in extreme, but it was brave of you to try it. I wouldn't like to demonstrate trading for the simple reason that the pressure would make me more nervous, as it's more than money you've got to lose.

I know, as you've said, some people get jealous and resentful towards successful people but I'd like to think far more are genuinely pleased for people who are doing better, or perhaps encouraged to improve if it's within reach.
PDC

Part of the reason for the criticism is the outlandish claims that were being made prior to the announcement being made. There were claims that the up coming announcement was going to change trading forever or such strong words to that effect.

So people were expecting something big and game changing, people were asking about PC being cancelled, a new exchange being launched etc but when that didn't happen people felt let down and led on, a meeting of like minded people isn't a game changer in the terms they were using to promote the event in the led up.

Also one of them was tweeting like they knew nothing about the event in the days before, asking 'Does anyone know what this (announcement) is about? Then it turns out they are one of the people involved, it was like the internet had just been invented with marketing tactics more suited to 2000 not 2018.

As for the event itself I am sure it will be a fun event where people will come away with new ideas. The people involved I would not doubt their success as Betfair have pinned their name to these people.

Had they just made the announcement and not had the hyperbole in the lead up to it I think it would have been received much better.

Mark comes across as a genuine person and has done a good blog post explaining his reasons for his participation which is worth a read for those interested.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:19 am
some people get jealous and resentful towards successful people
Hi Derek.. :)

My take is that people get hateful towards successful people they don't like, and applaud the sucessful people they do like.

Success in itself doesn't seem to be the driver, it's just that often when successful people are 'attacked' they find it easier to blame it on their success rather than their unappealing personality. Remember success and ego often go hand in hand, the real reason someone's disliked may not be very palletable, so 'how great they are' seems to be an understandable explaination to them.
invisiblelayer

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:48 am
invisiblelayer wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:45 pm
Grief from folk that cowardly they don't even have names or real pictures
Says 'invisiblelayer' with no photo on his profile ;)
On social media always had a mugshot to my real name, be sort of weird on a forum to do likewise with just a handle, bedides some people might start messaging for nudes if I did that!
Trader Pat

invisiblelayer wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:08 am
On social media always had a mugshot to my real name, be sort of weird on a forum to do likewise with just a handle, bedides some people might start messaging for nudes if I did that!
I don't have to worry about that. There are already nudes of me floating around somewhere on the web!
napshnap

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:42 pm
invisiblelayer wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:08 am
I don't have to worry about that. There are already nudes of me floating around somewhere on the web!
Are you, by any chance, Sasha Gray?
Moody Mare wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:24 pm
I joined this forum years ago, but these recent posts sum up the whole reason ive as of yet been reluctant to get involved. The whole trading community seems so full of animosity, jealousy and hate.
You shouldn't expect much from us, we are gold diggers. 8-) .
LeTiss

Moody Mare wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:43 pm
other people's success does tend to make others feel bad, for one reason or another, resulting in them feeling the need to abuse or ridicule the successful person. The bigger the online profile of the person, the more grief they are likely to get social media wise. Maybe that should be taught as a measure of success! The recipients prob dont care too much. I doubt PW cares too much when he is a target of abuse either. comes with the territory of success. Congrats to all of those who reach the stage of abuse i say! Instead of reacting so bitterly, we should all try appreciating what they have achieved. You dont have to personally like someone to be able to appreciate their success
My beef with Caan Berry and his associates at GT reared it's ugly head again on Twitter last night.

I do not envy anybody of their success, I congratulate all 3 guys involved in this venture - Mark, Caan, Steve on their awesome and continued success. That doesn't mean I have to like their attitude, which is where Caan rubs me up the wrong way.

GT dislikes Peter Webb, they see him as a competitor, and the comments they openly make about him personally on social media are totally unprofessional and actually rather offensive. Caan makes the terrible mistake of latching onto that, and it shows him in a very dim light.
PDC

i thought they were all getting on these days, it wasn't that long ago I saw a post of them all out for the night after some event, maybe a year or so ago.

But yes, the twitter wars seem to have started again. There was one tweet that disappointed me, it highlighted that Bet Angel had changed the title of a series of forum threads from 'Trading for newbies - Part x' to 'Betfair trading made simple' - Part x. Obviously this is the title of Caan's book.

viewforum.php?f=2

I can't think of any reason why Bet Angel/Peter would do this other than the obvious which really disappointed me as given all of Peter's previous posts on this thread etc I thought he was above such things. I would like it if it could be explained as just a coincidence but I can't see that being possible.

The fact Caan is still using a picture of himself with Peter on twitter as his header is also surprising, he appears to be using someone else's reputation to help promote himself.

Then as for The Geek effectively saying Bet Angel just copies other peoples features I just had to laugh. Yes of course Bet Angel have picked up features in other peoples software such as PIQ but I think it is pretty clear that Bet Angel is largely ploughing its own field in development. I think it is something like 2 years since The Geek did an update to his software.

I wish they could all just get on and help promote the industry to the benefit of all with no underhand things from any of them as at present they are all to one extent or another damaging the industry.
LeTiss

The only reason why BA introduced PIQ is because there were countless of requests on here.

Peter wants to offer a product that assists traders, but as a businessman he also wants to keep his customers satisfied.

He wasn't 100% sure of PIQ, especially with XM, and he has been proven correct - I use the PIQ feature as a guide, but I wouldn't rely on it, as it's not perfect in it's accuracy

All businesses look at their competitors and try to replicate what they like, but to try belittle their oppponents with catty remarks on social media doesn't impress me. It might others though, so each to their own
spreadbetting

LeTiss wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:23 pm

All businesses look at their competitors and try to replicate what they like, but to try belittle their oppponents with catty remarks on social media doesn't impress me. It might others though, so each to their own
If you're going to rename threads to the title of someone's book, to pick up internet traffic, surely you've got to expect some flak.

At this time of the year you expect a few panto villians to pop up and unless Peter starts posting up traveller type 'call out' videos or Caan sticks up a drill video I doubt there's anything to be arsed about.
ShaunWhite

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 pm
If you're going to rename threads to the title of someone's book, to pick up internet traffic, surely you've got to expect some flak.
It's a really low blow to someone he must surely see as inconsequential compared to his 'biggest ever' status. Esp as xmas is the biggest time for book sales. 'Well he did it first Miss' will probably be the defence, but I really thought he was a big enough 'name' not to get involved in this type disappointing and undignified bs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAk4OAAzZBs
Trader Pat

LeTiss wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:23 pm
The only reason why BA introduced PIQ is because there were countless of requests on here.
Same with candlesticks I seem to remember... there was a lot of posts to the tune of 'other software has it why can't Bet Angel'

As for posts on social media there's a lot of nastiness that goes on especially on Twitter between traders and a lot of plug my ebook and I'll plug your website kind of stuff. There's a well known trader who posted in his blog that CB wasnt a trader at all but worked full time as windows salesman or something like but then posted pictures of a house which they said was CB's house. If it was his house then that's bang out of order and deserves a smack in the mouth in my book and if false then why bother in the first place?

My point is social media and Twitter especially is just full of nastiness and put downs and snide comments and in fairness to PW he stays above most of it and doesnt respond like for like. Even when I unintentionally created a minor Twitter spat between he and Pepe Le Pew's cousin he stayed above most of the nastiness coming in his direction. I rarely post on Twitter now so I'm more of a lurker than a poster but the internet in general has and always will be full of keyboard warriors and so most of what they say needs to be viewed in that context unless it's obviously attacking youre character.

Return to “General discussion”