A place to discuss anything.
Jukebox

Euler that's quite an 'owzat
ruthlessimon

JTEDL wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:22 pm
just an excuse for a p*ss up
& it won't even be that good

My insider (god rest his forum soul), reckoned Peter was an absolute party animal off the screens 8-)
Trader Pat

arbitrage16 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:58 pm
oh god he's not had the temerity to go out and try to help people has he?! I haven't done the PW course, but from everyone I've spoken to it's usually a 'meh'. Mugs gives a proven understanding of how to extract profit from the market on a consistent basis. Can people from the PW course say the same?
I think I've posted about this before but I'll happily type a few lines about it again.

I did the BA Masterclass course several years ago and in September of 2016 I did the Horse Racing Workshop. I got a lot from the workshop in particular as it was held on a Friday so we got the chance to see PW in action in live markets. He spent the morning discussing all kinds of stuff to do with the upcoming racing markets and certain indicators that could be used to spot an opportunity. When the racing started he pulled approx £300 from 3 markets while utilising 1 particular indicator he had spoken a lot about in the morning. This was pretty impressive as he was able to put into practice exactly the plan he had discussed in the morning, right down to identifying at least 2 of these markets as possible opportunities hours before the racing even started. So in answer to the question I would say its a big yes.

I can't speak about any of the 3 guys mentioned above but 1 of them several months back posted a video of a trade he did on a pre off horse race which left me amazed because while he was talking about the positions he had in the market and the logic behind them the market was very clearly about to move in the opposite direction. He still didnt seem to grasp this until it actually snapped back, I dont think he lost any money but for someone who's classed as a professional trader I found it very surprising he couldnt see what I could!

Even the worst of the worst who class themselves as professional traders (none of the above) have followers on social media who think they're geniuses so people will always believe who and what they want. C'est la vie!
invisiblelayer

JTEDL wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:31 am
I see a certain 3 'pro traders' got a bit of grief on twitter yesterday when they announced an 'Exclusive Pro Trader Event sponsored by Betfair' ;)
Grief from folk that cowardly they don't even have names or real pictures to their Twitter handles so pretty apt it's on a thread about daft social media comments. It's not something I'm personally interested in but can see it being great for folk starting out and could bring more money to the market's so why the grief with Betfair getting behind them? Seems a positive thing even though no interest in it myself
ShaunWhite

Social media is all about either rampant egotism, selling sh!t, or bitching. often all at the same time. None of those interest me so I don't read it and anyone who takes any of it seriously really needs to get a grip.
Moody Mare

I joined this forum years ago, but these recent posts sum up the whole reason ive as of yet been reluctant to get involved. The whole trading community seems so full of animosity, jealousy and hate.
Moody Mare

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:50 am
JTEDL wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:31 am
I see a certain 3 'pro traders' got a bit of grief on twitter yesterday when they announced an 'Exclusive Pro Trader Event sponsored by Betfair' ;)
I have 3 differing opinions on those guys -

Mark Iverson is worth listening to. He has tremendous knowledge on trading cricket, and retains humility in his approach to other traders. A knowledgeable, classy guy

Steve Howe, I went off. He was a tremendously entertaining guy in the early days of being Mugs, and was always full of great advice. However, he then started to suck his own dick and considered himself the new Peter Webb, offering videos and courses in that drab Brummy accent. No thanks

Caan Berry is simply a full on bellend
other people's success does tend to make others feel bad, for one reason or another, resulting in them feeling the need to abuse or ridicule the successful person. The bigger the online profile of the person, the more grief they are likely to get social media wise. Maybe that should be taught as a measure of success! The recipients prob dont care too much. I doubt PW cares too much when he is a target of abuse either. comes with the territory of success. Congrats to all of those who reach the stage of abuse i say! Instead of reacting so bitterly, we should all try appreciating what they have achieved. You dont have to personally like someone to be able to appreciate their success
Trader Pat

Moody Mare wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:43 pm
other people's success does tend to make others feel bad, for one reason or another, resulting in them feeling the need to abuse or ridicule the successful person. The bigger the online profile of the person, the more grief they are likely to get social media wise. Maybe that should be taught as a measure of success! The recipients prob dont care too much. I doubt PW cares too much when he is a target of abuse either. comes with the territory of success. Congrats to all of those who reach the stage of abuse i say! Instead of reacting so bitterly, we should all try appreciating what they have achieved. You dont have to personally like someone to be able to appreciate their success
I don't know what any of these guys have or have not achieved but good luck to them for whatever they have achieved. My issue in general with people pedalling stuff is when there is no way of verifying their level of skill. PW has traded live and is verifiably a top trader whos been at the top of the game for a long time. You say above 'The bigger the online profile of the person, the more grief they are likely to get social media wise' and you are definitely right about that however its a 2 way street. The size of someone's online presence is also been used wrongly as a way of evaluating a persons level of skill. This guy has x amount of followers on Twitter so he must know what he's on about
Moody Mare

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:09 pm
I don't know what any of these guys have or have not achieved but good luck to them for whatever they have achieved. My issue in general with people pedalling stuff is when there is no way of verifying their level of skill. PW has traded live and is verifiably a top trader whos been at the top of the game for a long time. You say above 'The bigger the online profile of the person, the more grief they are likely to get social media wise' and you are definitely right about that however its a 2 way street. The size of someone's online presence is also been used wrongly as a way of evaluating a persons level of skill. This guy has x amount of followers on Twitter so he must know what he's on about
Agree. I wouldnt be interested in what any old 'random' has to say. Caan Berry and Steve Howe though have a massive fan club of people who have bought and benefited from their products. Their reputation seems pretty validated and for every hater, there're thousands of lovers, it just tends to be the haters who shout louder! The 3-traders-betfair event thing is sponsored by betfair, im pretty sure betfair knows who is successful or not and wouldnt accredit/sponsor just any old degen! I'm thinking about going! not because I want to learn a plie of new strategies, i'm already very happy with my trading. It would just be nice to get to hear the 3 traders speak and mix with a load of other traders too, dont get that opportunity too often. i've never heard of the third speaker before. I havent read any recent negative stuff about him though, so he must have a much smaller online presence!!!

I've been a higher rate PC payer for some time. I have winning trades and losing trades (obviously!). The 3 times I tried to explain to my wider family what I do, I decided to trade live and demonstrate. all 3 times were losing trades!!! So it doesnt matter that I make X figures a year from trading, they saw me lose! and and so dont take what I do seriously, they probably think i'm deluded. So thats why I dont put too much stock into who does and doesnt trade live, noone wins every time, or you can get lucky when youre demonstrating and have the perfect trade with everything going your way. Unfortunately I didnt and my family think i'm just a gambling addict. Personally i'll never live trade for anyone again,
ruthlessimon

Moody Mare wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:56 pm
I've been a higher rate PC payer for some time.

Unfortunately I didnt and my family think i'm just a gambling addict.
I've never seen that one before!

They must be pretty deluded to call you a gambling addict. You should come on the forum more, although we may be considered egotistical, sounds like you could offer some really interesting insights. What sports are you trading?

-That said, if I was demonstrating to wider family, I'd slap spreadsheets in their faces - & walk em through the biases - no where near the screens. Luckily cos they know sod all about trading they wouldn't be able to use it!
Moody Mare

ruthlessimon wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:18 pm

They must be pretty deluded to call you a gambling addict. You should come on the forum more, although we may be considered egotistical, sounds like you could offer some really interesting insights. What sports are you trading?

-That said, if I was demonstrating to wider family, I'd slap spreadsheets in their faces - & walk em through the biases - no where near the screens. Luckily cos they know sod all about trading they wouldn't be able to use it!
ah thanks, that's very nice of you to say - Maybe this forum isn't so bitchy after all!
I trade horse racing and greyhounds, would be interested in other sports though, its just having the time to learn something new when there's pretty much always a horse racing or greyhound race coming up! Maybe if we get a lot of abandoned racing meetings this winter i'll take the opportunity to look elsewhere
Euler

You deserve a lot of credit for being a higher rate PC payer. Anybody who gets to those levels and stays there deserves credit, especially if they did it from scratch without guidance. That would actually elevate you above the vast majority on the sell side.
ShaunWhite

invisiblelayer wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:45 pm
Grief from folk that cowardly they don't even have names or real pictures
Says 'invisiblelayer' with no photo on his profile ;)
Derek27

Moody Mare wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:56 pm
I've been a higher rate PC payer for some time. I have winning trades and losing trades (obviously!). The 3 times I tried to explain to my wider family what I do, I decided to trade live and demonstrate. all 3 times were losing trades!!! So it doesnt matter that I make X figures a year from trading, they saw me lose! and and so dont take what I do seriously, they probably think i'm deluded. So thats why I dont put too much stock into who does and doesnt trade live, noone wins every time, or you can get lucky when youre demonstrating and have the perfect trade with everything going your way. Unfortunately I didnt and my family think i'm just a gambling addict. Personally i'll never live trade for anyone again,
That really is sod's law in extreme, but it was brave of you to try it. I wouldn't like to demonstrate trading for the simple reason that the pressure would make me more nervous, as it's more than money you've got to lose.

I know, as you've said, some people get jealous and resentful towards successful people but I'd like to think far more are genuinely pleased for people who are doing better, or perhaps encouraged to improve if it's within reach.
PDC

Part of the reason for the criticism is the outlandish claims that were being made prior to the announcement being made. There were claims that the up coming announcement was going to change trading forever or such strong words to that effect.

So people were expecting something big and game changing, people were asking about PC being cancelled, a new exchange being launched etc but when that didn't happen people felt let down and led on, a meeting of like minded people isn't a game changer in the terms they were using to promote the event in the led up.

Also one of them was tweeting like they knew nothing about the event in the days before, asking 'Does anyone know what this (announcement) is about? Then it turns out they are one of the people involved, it was like the internet had just been invented with marketing tactics more suited to 2000 not 2018.

As for the event itself I am sure it will be a fun event where people will come away with new ideas. The people involved I would not doubt their success as Betfair have pinned their name to these people.

Had they just made the announcement and not had the hyperbole in the lead up to it I think it would have been received much better.

Mark comes across as a genuine person and has done a good blog post explaining his reasons for his participation which is worth a read for those interested.

Return to “General discussion”