Completely daft messages on social media

A place to discuss anything.
ticktake

I attended the event last Saturday, thought I'd scan the BA forum to see if it had been discussed. The consensus around an expert trader not getting much value is probably correct.

Personally, I really enjoyed the event - I've only been live trading for a couple of months. Over the past 18 months I've been reading/listening/watching as much trading info as possible (whilst matched betting). I know Caan's blog really well and have watched most of PW's videos.

For someone like me, the event was great. I would say that the social aspect of it was probably worth just as much as the presentation content. I spent at least an hour with Mark talking about cricket & trading generally. It was also great to talk to other people who trade - there was a large spectrum of ability! I sat next to a cricket trader who I found very interesting whilst there were some people where I thought "you don't have a clue!" (although I appreciate it may be may that has no clue).

I definitely think there's a market for some sort of event where traders meet up, I was thinking about it on the drive home. The value is usually going to be with the less experienced traders - I'd drive anywhere in the country to buy PW a pint. PW isn't going to get much from it though (other than a free drink). There would have to be financial incentive to get the experts to attend. I reckon if PW hosted a Q&A/Interview type event, it would sell to us novices.
JTEDL

Good to hear the feedback, I think they did advertise it as 50% presentation / 50% social event. Having a few beers discussing what you're interested in with like minded people can't be a bad thing.
Euler

I've offered to both Betfair and Betdaq in the past to do these events, but my concept was that they would need to be free and therefore funded by the exchanges, not their customers. Also, they would need to be on a day where it wouldn't impact my trading. I realise a Saturday is a good day for a gathering, but it's an impossible day to make if you trade seriously. Where I have attended events on a Saturday, I've always traded. This is well documented.
invisiblelayer

Shouldn't it be Betfair be paying the speakers good chunks and getting a few bigger venues all over and making it free? they used to do academies back in the day all over and was also prominent on racecourses with booths but its way more advanced now than then.

Seems like they don't really care about the exchange in all honesty and the difference in customer services personally when its been required has been awful compared to yesteryear, you know when you'd be telling all your mates about it. Interestingly at one point they was going to sell Betfair merchandise, umbrellas, jackets, hats, mugs etc I saw the site before it ever went live which it never for some reason I even got sent one of these for my lad at the time https://gyazo.com/ccb35f529fe62fc5b2b314824dbb803d :lol: can't remember what issue I was having but they always sorted and in a decent way, not stupid copy/paste replies :roll:
ticktake

Whilst I'd definitely attend a free Betfair event if PW was attending, I struggle to see the appeal from their perspective. They'd want to hold it on a Saturday to get maximum attendance so would cost them a fortune as I dread to think how much PW makes on a Saturday. Would they recover this cost? Presumably these attendees would already be Betfair customers?

Also, I think a fee acts as a bit of a qualifier - £150 isn't that much really but you wouldn't waste it on something you weren't genuinely interested. If it was a free event, I'd be worried it would be really busy and I wouldn't expect to get much, if any, time to talk to PW. If I had to choose between a free event to hear PW speak or a paid event with the opportunity to spend some time talking to PW, I'd opt for the latter.
Trader Pat

Does anybody know how many people attended?
Dallas

ticktake wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:04 pm
Whilst I'd definitely attend a free Betfair event if PW was attending, I struggle to see the appeal from their perspective. They'd want to hold it on a Saturday to get maximum attendance so would cost them a fortune as I dread to think how much PW makes on a Saturday. Would they recover this cost? Presumably these attendees would already be Betfair customers?

Also, I think a fee acts as a bit of a qualifier - £150 isn't that much really but you wouldn't waste it on something you weren't genuinely interested. If it was a free event, I'd be worried it would be really busy and I wouldn't expect to get much, if any, time to talk to PW. If I had to choose between a free event to hear PW speak or a paid event with the opportunity to spend some time talking to PW, I'd opt for the latter.
Even if free it would still be a ticket event with the room only holding the same number of people so anytime you get with Peter or other speakers would still be the same.

I can't see any issues on holding it on a Mon/Tue, the room would likely be cheaper so BF can watch the pennies and no one misses a serious days trading, even those who work during the week could still attend, if serious about it they could book the days off, and for those who need to travel its far easier to do so during the week than a weekend
ticktake

Trader Pat wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:12 pm
Over a hundred I'd say.
Emmson

All male I assume, why does sports trading not appeal to women? Has this forum ever had any female contributors.
Trader Pat

ticktake wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:20 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Over a hundred I'd say.
So lets say conservatively there was 100 people there, doesnt give much time for interaction with the triumvirate. That would surely be an issue with this kind of event where there are so many people, very limited opportunity to actually have a proper conversation.

TT you did very well to have an hour long discussion with Mark Iverson, there must have been many people firing question in and wanting to buy him a drink and pick his brain
ticktake

Emmson wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:22 pm
All male I assume, why does sports trading not appeal to women? Has this forum ever had any female contributors.
I was shocked!! There were 6/7 females there - half had been dragged by their other half!
Emmson

ticktake wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:33 pm
Emmson wrote:
I was shocked!! There were 6/7 females there - half had been dragged by their other half!
Great to hear that, more participants in the market the better.
PDC

ticktake wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:
Over a hundred I'd say.
I saw a tweet that said 148 out of the 150 who were expected attended.
Emmson wrote:
There were a few women in the photos but it looked to be largely white middle aged males.

In general men have more of an interest in finance and money than women so it is no surprise sports trading is dominated by men. There are a few involved though, there is one on Twitter I see from time to time appear in my feed when Peter has liked one of her tweets.
ticktake

Trader Pat wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:30 pm
ticktake wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:
Over a hundred I'd say.
So lets say conservatively there was 100 people there, doesnt give much time for interaction with the triumvirate. That would surely be an issue with this kind of event where there are so many people, very limited opportunity to actually have a proper conversation.

TT you did very well to have an hour long discussion with Mark Iverson, there must have been many people firing question in and wanting to buy him a drink and pick his brain
Probably about 60 stayed for drinks after the talks.

Mark was an absolute Gent. 6 of us were having a general chat and he came over to us and answered all our questions. Similar size groups were chatting to the other two speakers. It was harder to grab Caan, I was expecting to leave about 7, stayed until 9 in order to talk to him. They were there all night talking though. When you weren't talking to them though, the room was full of people with the same passion.
ruthlessimon

Emmson wrote:
Generally risk averse (evolutionary) imo

Return to “General discussion”