Question about earnings of Professionals

A place to discuss anything.
Lucacrebbe

hello, Can I ask you somenthing?

The majority of trader in loss, but there is a small, very small percentage of traders (the famous 1%) who can regulary make some profit out of the market

I have seen many famous betfair traders claiming gains in order of 10/30k per month. And no, those were not lies, they are famous traders, who are really skilled

I would like to ask you how are those kind of gains possible if Betfair.com does not have that much liquidity to let those kind of gains to happen

I mean it's very difficult to match a bet of 5k/10k on betfair... without to have problems of hig spread and bad risk / reward ratio... so I was wondering, how can they make that such gains, without betting a big stake (10/20k) time after time?
jimibt

what a strange question... from that i mean, there is no way that you can possibly use any of that info to reliably benchmark your own approach as you'll have no way to know:

1. what tactics they employ
2. what frequency they operate with
3. whether they bot their success
4. whether they attend the events or not
5. how they manage their bank
6. etc, etc

an example of this, which is an enigma on here, is the the trader known as the bomber. he/she literally shows up for a few weeks of the year (on horse racing) and literally affects market prices to the extent that his/her trades totally dictate the entire market. then, as suddenly as they appeared, they are gone with only speculation as to how many 100k's were made on that brief journey.

in a word, there is no standard 1%, each will have a unique approach which helps keep them in said 1%.
Trader Pat

Lucacrebbe wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:55 am
I mean it's very difficult to match a bet of 5k/10k on betfair... without to have problems of hig spread and bad risk / reward ratio... so I was wondering, how can they make that such gains, without betting a big stake (10/20k) time after time?
Completely depends what sport you're trading. Simple to get 5,10k matched on match odds in football, cricket even tennis.
Freepunt

Hi,

10k per month would be around £330.00 per day. That could be 15 races per day earning £22 per race. You don't need a lot of liqudity for that.
Derek27

Lucacrebbe wrote:
The majority of trader in loss, but there is a small, very small percentage of traders (the famous 1%) who can regulary make some profit out of the market
I didn't know I was world famous. :lol:

Not all consistently successful traders are professional or full-time and it's quite possible to make £1k a month without staking more than a few £100.

The size of a trader's stake is relative. Traders spread their risk by not putting their entire bank on one trade, so if a trader invests £10k I would presume it's only a fraction of his capital.

Luca, stop worrying about how much other people make and how much you could potentially make - just learn and practice trading.
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:18 pm
Lucacrebbe wrote:
Luca, stop worrying about how much other people make and how much you could potentially make - just learn and practice trading.
lol, was wondering when i'd next get the opportunity to use the word *petulant* ;)
gutuami

Derek27 wrote:
Lucacrebbe wrote:

+1
ShaunWhite

When you know enough to make a steady profit, you'll know enough to answer your own question.

All you need to know for now is that the numbers you mention are being done but the very nature of the markets means that each of those traders are probably doing it in slightly different ways. I will be your job to find your own way.

You didn't respond to my assistance about using a second bet if there's no way to lay off your position..... Did you fully understand it, get excel, and work out the necessary calculations? Or was it too hard and we've gone back to dreamland again? When are you getting access to betfair.com?
Lucacrebbe

Derek27 wrote:
Lucacrebbe wrote:
I didn't know I was world famous. :lol:

Not all consistently successful traders are professional or full-time and it's quite possible to make £1k a month without staking more than a few £100.

The size of a trader's stake is relative. Traders spread their risk by not putting their entire bank on one trade, so if a trader invests £10k I would presume it's only a fraction of his capital.

The problem is that I trade only one match .. I am not into horses races, because I don't know how they work

I can tell you how Svitolina will probably serve the next 15'

I can speculate on how much Gabrilova will win the first set, but I can't trade too many match per time, without losing confidence on my trades.
I am not that kind of trader who places bets around different matches.

Let's suppose I would stake 10k on a match.

A little scalp would give me a 10% of profit on a single match.
The problem is that is difficult to match 10k in a single match, while is easy to match them trought different matches... which is not how I am used to trade...

It would be really good if the liquidity would be so high to stake conmfortably 10k on a single match, and pretty easy (if you know what you are doing) profit of 5% or 10%

That's not possible now with the betfair.com liquidity

Do you think that with international European liquidity could it be possible?

Otherwise we have to wait for a decentralize betting exange thanks to blockchain and smart contracts, having an international liquidity

At that point it would be so easy to stake 10k

Immagine all the world betting on a decentralized trustless blockchain betting service like Augur

My dream is to stake 10k on a single match, because my trading strategy it does not relay on spreading bets around various matches
Last edited by Lucacrebbe on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lucacrebbe

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:34 pm
When you know enough to make a steady profit, you'll know enough to answer your own question.

All you need to know for now is that the numbers you mention are being done but the very nature of the markets means that each of those traders are probably doing it in slightly different ways. I will be your job to find your own way.

You didn't respond to my assistance about using a second bet if there's no way to lay off your position..... Did you fully understand it, get excel, and work out the necessary calculations? Or was it too hard and we've gone back to dreamland again? When are you getting access to betfair.com?

I can't get access to betfair.com, I am using betfair.it
MemphisFlash

i stake 10000 or more on tennis matches and i have no problem getting them matched.
Derek27

Most successful traders start with small stakes until they've built up their confidence and capital. I suspect newbies who start with $10k stakes will end up with nothing!

I could easily make 10 x £100 on 10 successful scalps - and then blow £1000 on one scalp that goes wrong!

You won't win anything by looking at how much you can make with one scalp and going big, you have to learn to successfully trade first and then scale up.

No hairdresser got paid to cut hair the first time they picked up a pair of scissors - they spent 6-12 months learning before they could charge. You can't just jump into the trading ring and make money Luca!
Derek27

MemphisFlash wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:35 pm
i stake 10000 or more on tennis matches and i have no problem getting them matched.
He doesn't have access to betfair.com
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:34 pm
Or was it too hard and we've gone back to dreamland again?
I think it's back to dreamland!
Lucacrebbe

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:40 pm
MemphisFlash wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:35 pm
He doesn't have access to betfair.com
Even on Betfair.com is not easy to match 10k

You can see all this money coming into the market at the price of 1.05 , or 1.02....... those kind of prices are useless ...

Immagine 10'000 offer on a price of 3,25.

Two days ago I was trading Ostapenko vs Sloane stepehen.

There was an offer on Ostapenko of 100$ at 3,25

Knowing that Ostapenko is much more valuable than a 3,25 offer (to back), I backed her

Long story short... made 39$ staking 100$ on Betfair.it.

Now imagine to have staked 10k.

It would have been 3900$ man... 3900$.... I am looking for those kind of rewards, because I put so much efforts in my trading.

Return to “General discussion”