Women and your trading

A place to discuss anything.
stueytrader

Now, this might be a slightly tricky topic for some more than others.
But, I wondered what were peoples thoughts about the relation between their relationships/women and their trading?

(note, I'm presuming most are men on here, though feel free to correct me if wrong!) :)

I remember reading a blog from Dave the trader (very good inplay trader) about his women difficulties at many times when trading. I think one difficulty is them understanding why you are sitting (doing nothing of course :roll: ) for so long staring at a screen. Even knowing I'm doing well doesn't seem to placate always in terms of the 'time' I'm spending doing that.

I could show her my good record of results, but not sure that achieves much - they never believe that will carry on anyway. I'm not by any means professional, so I can't argue this is my job as such - I am employed and like to supplement that with trading. Luckily my employed work is very flexible so I have the time.

Maybe more important, I wonder whether I sometimes lose focus simply because I'm getting the signals to 'put that thing away' at times. I know we all need to balance life/trading activity, and I try to do that (I do put it away when it's family times). I try not to let trading get in the way, and we have plenty holidays, meals etc that counts as down time to me.

Anyway, just be interested what others think or have experienced in this respect of their home and trading activities.

Cheers,
Stu.
jimibt

i guess if you wanted to strike the balance between woman traders and their spouses, male traders and their's, then the correct title should be:

(Wo)men and your trading

i think that covers ALL angles ;)

:D
LeTiss

Not easy for women to understand at all - they like to see a man putting in some effort!

I had an ex-girlfiend that spent her Saturday morning at my flat, where she was under the impression I was working

According to her - all I did was watch a footy match on Sky, drank 6 cups of coffee, ate a packet of Jaffa Cakes, and ran Gordon Ramsey close for the Guiness Book of World Records for saying the word fuuck over 100 times in an hour
MemphisFlash

i'm single, free as a bird.
Hepburn

My ex loves the footy. Used to winge at me loads for not paying him all the attention.

When Im at home Im not the type to sit there and do nothing, even if its chatting. I have to be doing something :D :ugeek:
northbound

My personal experience with women lead me to the following conclusion: whatever a man does, they find something to complain about.

Therefore, I decided to remain single and trade as much as I want.
Black Ice

I'll tell you the best possible sort of relationship..being a LAT. (Living Apart Together)!! Get together at w/e's...occasionally mid week...rest of the time...you are apart and can trade to your hearts content. Believe me...she likes it too...we all like our space!! Mind you...you probably have to go through a messy divorce & get rid of the kids first...but as a way of life in one's latter years I thoroughly recommend it! :)
ShaunWhite

Wife v1. 0 was a *@#%ing nightmare. Took everything I owned including my son.

Wife v2. 0 is a diamond. 100% supportive, literally as she's been the breadwinner while I do this. We chat about trading a lot which she relates to because she's played poker for years, better than me actually. She's fine if I'm under her feet and fine if I'm in the office or garage 24/7. Married now for 18yrs. She'd been through the same crap as me with her first husband and I think that's the key. Both know I good thing.

Sounds like I'm lucky but after the first one it was going to be no woman or the woman.

If I lost her for any reason, like I nearly did through illness just before Christmas, I wouldn't have another. I'd stick to the old saying, if it flys, floats or fvcks, rent it.
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:47 pm
Wife v1. 0 was a *@#%ing nightmare. Took everything I owned including my son.

Wife v2. 0 is a diamond. 100% supportive, literally as she's been the breadwinner while I do this. We chat about trading a lot which she relates to because she's played poker for years, better than me actually. She's fine if I'm under her feet and fine if I'm in the office or garage 24/7. Married now for 18yrs. She'd been through the same crap as me with her first husband and I think that's the key. Both know I good thing.

Sounds like I'm lucky but after the first one it was going to be no woman or the woman.

If I lost her for any reason, like I nearly did through illness just before Christmas, I wouldn't have another. I'd stick to the old saying, if it flies, floats or fvcks, rent it.
Shaun - that's bitter sweet and makes me realise why my own happiness is so profound... (i have 4 kids by my partner and we still have the spark). i often joke to new friends funnily enough that we are 2nd time around (my wife just sighs), as it is kinda like the way you describe it above - supportive and a true diamond.

ooops sh!t, better get moving, i've been *told* we've got some sh!t tv to watch... :D
SeaHorseRacing

The Great Bernard Manning once said.

Love, I've won the pools! Get yourself together and pack your bags

Wife: Amazing! Where are we going?

Just pack your bags.

Wife: Done, bags are packed.

Great. Now fuck off.

I can reflect this to your p &l that unless your trading is obsessive tell her this joke.
ShaunWhite

stueytrader wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:45 pm
I think one difficulty is them understanding why you are sitting (doing nothing of course :roll: ) for so long staring at a screen.
You know what they say stuey...."Beauty fades, dumb is forever" (it's a Judy Judy quote actually :oops: )

It was crucial for me that I had someone who was as smart as me, ideally smarter. I'd had enough of trying to reason with an idiot. And afterall, someone had to be on the ball in the team because I spend half my life with my head in the clouds.

Paid off too, when I told my current wife that I wanted to spend a year trading full time, she said something like, "that seems crazy, if you only go through the year once, you won't have the chance to fix the mistakes you made. If you're going to do it you need 2yrs :shock: 8-)

(btw always prefix the word 'wife' or 'girlfriend' with 'current', it keeps them on their toes :) )
wearthefoxhat

The quote from worm after Mike McD's girlfriend walks out on him, he breaks a promise not to play poker again (and lies about it). She also takes the bedsheets...sheeesh...

"In the poker game of life, women are the rake man. They are the fuckin' rake."
Black Ice

"Shaun White wrote:
(btw always prefix the word 'wife' or 'girlfriend' with 'current', it keeps them on their toes :) )

Like it Shaun!!!
PeterLe

We initially had the (long) conversation as to whether I was "Gambling"
...not matter what I said she always said "...Yes but its still gambling"
To solve it once and all...She opened her own betfair account with £200 (which I provided), which I automated and when she eventually bought her car from the profits she conceded that it wasn't gambling after all.
We haven't had the conversation since :)
Dallas

PeterLe wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:15 am
We initially had the (long) conversation as to whether I was "Gambling"
...not matter what I said she always said "...Yes but its still gambling"
To solve it once and all...She opened her own betfair account with £200 (which I provided), which I automated and when she eventually bought her car from the profits she conceded that it wasn't gambling after all.
We haven't had the conversation since :)
That I like :D

Double clever in that your initial £200 'investment' will of saved you far more on shopping trips over the years!

Return to “General discussion”