Living in London

A place to discuss anything.
ruthlessimon

Crazy parallels to trading this one

Question is - is Peter choices 4 & 5? :D
ShaunWhite

Lol sorry pat.

These commandments are enough for me......
Thou shalt always kill

Back in my consciousness after hearing it mentioned on Only Connect.
Derek27

sa7med wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:16 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:45 pm
89% humanist, but I'm struggling to work out which answers lead to 100%.
in your face Derek I've done the test and I'm 100% Humanist! :D :lol:

Hope I get a badge or something :?
100% here as well, we should start a club...oh wait there already is one :lol:
Some of those questions aren't exclusive - there's more than one applicable answer.
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:12 pm
Some of those questions aren't exclusive - there's more than one applicable answer.
There is always more than one answer.

With insight like that maybe I should start my own religion 🤔
Derek27

I see why I failed to get 100%. I chose the meaning of life comes from nowhere. In my opinion life cannot have a meaning because it's naturally occurring. Only god, if there was one, could decide on it's meaning.

If you're totally religious you score 0%.

If you're selfish and lack opinion you get about 50%.
ruthlessimon

Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:32 pm
I chose the meaning of life comes from nowhere.
Nahh; you live for trading mate! :)
ShaunWhite

My brand of humanism is better than yours. I'm going to wipe you off the face of the planet.
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:32 pm
I see why I failed to get 100%. I chose the meaning of life comes from nowhere. In my opinion life cannot have a meaning because it's naturally occurring. Only god, if there was one, could decide on it's meaning.
I chose 'My connections with others, my experiences, and the emotions I feel.'

Maybe you misread the question? It wasnt the meaning OF life, it was the meaning IN MY life... Monty Python made an entire movie about the meaning of life and still couldnt figure it out and I bow to their superior intellect :)
Trader Pat

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:41 pm
Maybe you misread the question?
Ddint mean for that to sound so condescending!
Kafkaesque

Okay guys, this has surely run its course at this point.

Not trying to lecture anybody with this, because I was as guilty as anybody; sticking my hand into the fire of this thing early in the thread, before realizing that nothing good was gonna come out of it.

I will say this for the forum. It's good that this hasn't descended into name calling across the trenches, which would have happended anywhere else (online), but I can't help feel, it's tithering on the brink of just that happening. Which I think would be a great shame for a forum otherwise full of people very good at helping each other along the eternal journey of becoming better traders.

And it is indeed trenches. I could think of quite a few choice words for the people arguing the opposite side of this highly complex issue. And I have zero doubt that they could think of likewise for me. End of the day we all come into this debate with varied backgrounds, different understanding of the facts, figures and stories presented to us by more or less biased media outlets, and perhaps most importantly different everyday experiences that influences our understanding of the issues. Nodoby is going to convince anybody else of foregoing those beliefs deeply rooted in things outside of this www-thing with words on a bloody forum. Absolutely nobody, right or wrong, comes out this shit looking very good.

My two cents anyhow, so here's hoping we can all stop needing to see this things at the top of new posts on nearly every visit and get back to trading, which is why we're here anyway. Also, I'll post something else to that end, in a minute, to see if we can't bash each other's proverbial heads in with a bit more fun :lol:
Trader Pat

Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:16 pm
Okay guys, this has surely run its course at this point.

Not trying to lecture anybody with this, because I was as guilty as anybody; sticking my hand into the fire of this thing early in the thread, before realizing that nothing good was gonna come out of it.

I will say this for the forum. It's good that this hasn't descended into name calling across the trenches, which would have happended anywhere else (online), but I can't help feel, it's tithering on the brink of just that happening. Which I think would be a great shame for a forum otherwise full of people very good at helping each other along the eternal journey of becoming better traders.

And it is indeed trenches. I could think of quite a few choice words for the people arguing the opposite side of this highly complex issue. And I have zero doubt that they could think of likewise for me. End of the day we all come into this debate with varied backgrounds, different understanding of the facts, figures and stories presented to us by more or less biased media outlets, and perhaps most importantly different everyday experiences that influences our understanding of the issues. Nodoby is going to convince anybody else of foregoing those beliefs deeply rooted in things outside of this www-thing with words on a bloody forum. Absolutely nobody, right or wrong, comes out this shit looking very good.

My two cents anyhow, so here's hoping we can all stop needing to see this things at the top of new posts on nearly every visit and get back to trading, which is why we're here anyway. Also, I'll post something else to that end, in a minute, to see if we can't bash each other's proverbial heads in with a bit more fun :lol:
Well said
ruthlessimon

Best post of the thread:
Emmson wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:27 pm
Noteworthy how this thread attracts posts the way most other sports trading threads do not despite it being a sports trading forum.
Really really thought-provoking imo

I wish there were more trading threads, that go deep, & critically into a topic (i.e. the importance of race type). Imagine a thread like that in this type of depth!
Crazyskier

superfrank wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 pm
If I could emigrate to England fifty years ago, I'd go tomorrow.
Me too! What a wonderful place it was then, where men were men and ladies were delicate and fragrant. Almost all children were also born within the security and stability of a married Mother & Father, who loved, nurtured and disciplined them. Any adult could tell off any child, without fear of being stabbed or worse!

Ferru123 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:12 pm
Back to the days when gays were imprisoned, women were never seen in a boardroom other than to serve tea and biscuits, and children could be beaten for trivial misdemeanors?
Be careful what you wish for. :) In some ways things have gone backwards, but in other ways things are better.
Actually only sodomites/buggers were imprisoned as sodomy/buggery were outlawed here until 1967. Indeed, most of the Commonwealth nations and most of the Arab world STILL continue to outlaw this practice (and rightly so in the view of many). I could also start of the 'spareth the rod, spoileth the child' debate and how discipline and respect for authority figures has declined massively since the cane was banished from schools across the land, but I'll resist just this once, lol.

CS
Derek27

Don't start on marriage and sodomy - most of us are trying to wind this thread down. :)

I just hope somebody overseas thinking of holidaying here doesn't do a 'living in London' internet search and find this thread. :?
BetScalper

I blame Guy Fawkes...

Return to “General discussion”