Forum rules poll.

A place to discuss anything.

Does the forum need rules on what's posted?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:08 pm

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 37
Trader Pat

I was one of the first to speak out against some of the content but not sure anymore about heavier moderation. The forum does work really well as it is and I've decided just not to engage in a conversation if I find it a bit offensive.

It's good that we can all be grown ups and discuss it without it getting nasty so for that reason alone maybe we dont need the moderators to step in?
wearthefoxhat

mobius wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:31 pm
Now here's food for a forum vote >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Salad Cream: Heinz 'considers Sandwich Cream re-brand'
BBC.co.uk 1hr ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44373387

Don't shoot me I'm just the messenger
:evil: :evil: :evil:
Mind you, some advertisers don't always think things through...

dasani.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FrogThimble

I don't think we need any rules, really. So long as everyone stays broadly on topic in each thread then nobody will even need to see anything that offends them as most of the thread titles are pretty much true to their content (or vice versa).

Although I'm politically active in real life, and a political party member, I just come here for the trading/betting threads. I go to other places to discuss politics - places where that's what everyone wants to do. If others want to discuss politics and other contentious issues here then I don't see any problem with that but, equally, I don't see much point either. :|
mobius

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has told MPs that the cabinet had agreed on plans for Heathrow expansion, saying that "the time for action is now".
bbc

Well that ends the London debate

London RIP

No way in by plane, no way in by train and "learners in England, Scotland and Wales can have lessons on the motorway" bbc yesterday
Gawd 'elp us.

Is that politiks?
Kafkaesque

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:48 pm
mobius wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:31 pm
Now here's food for a forum vote >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Salad Cream: Heinz 'considers Sandwich Cream re-brand'
BBC.co.uk 1hr ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44373387

Don't shoot me I'm just the messenger
:evil: :evil: :evil:
Mind you, some advertisers don't always think things through...

dasani.PNG
You Brits are such prudes ;)

Danish liquorice brand, still in production and has been for decades.... :lol:
Derek27

Having thought about it I don't think we really need forum rules as we're all friendly on this forum despite differing opinions.

I would just ask you all to imagine, instead of having discussions over a forum, if we were all sitting round a pub table having a chat about trading and everybody can see that I'm of Indian origin, would people still feel comfortable banging on about Pakistani Muslim rapists?

In case anyone's forgotten, the living in London thread was actually spun off the today's racing thread by me travelling down to London to attend a funeral. I moved it on to a new thread but it was just the mention of the word London that resulted in hundreds of posts about Muslims, rape and child abuse!

viewtopic.php?p=150866#p150866
threedogs

The forum is about trading really so current news is not really appropriate unless its sports news ...
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:24 am
I would just ask you all to imagine, instead of having discussions over a forum, if we were all sitting round a pub table having a chat about trading
I agree, but the straw that broke a whole caravan of camels' backs for me was
threedogs wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:45 pm
It should also be said that in many cases .........
Apart from it reeking of salacious tabloid titillation, does the poster consider the impact that might have on someone who might be or know a victim of abuse? Again, fortunately not an issue that bothers me one bit, I could turn my back and not give a damn.... but there is a reasonable likelihood is that someone here has experienced things they'd rather forget, boys as well as girls are abused, this lurid graphic sensationalism would be potentially very upsetting, especially in an unexpected environment.

Strong debate, differences of opinion, all fine and dandy ....but deliberate insensitive attempts to do nothing but shock or upset are a very diffferent thing; expecially from someone who's contributed fuck all for 4 years except advocating using a Martingale :roll:. I would hope that everyone who has selected 'No' would also agree that it doesn't mean 'Yes' to postings like that, whether or not they might be true.
BetScalper

There is a General Discussion thread. It says "A Place to discuss anything". Maybe it should be renamed to "A Place to discuss anything sports related". Same for the "Chill out area"
Euler

It's so busy in here now that there is plenty of room for many different types of discussion. If you don't agree, you don't need to join in. There are some threads where I don't contribute and some where I contribute a lot. We don't have hard and fast rules and that's let the forum grow significantly. We just want people to talk trading, make a contribution and respect other posters. I don't mind lively debate as it forces people to think harder and challenge assumptions, but some of the non-trading stuff I don't really get involved in as I'd prefer to keep things focused on trading, but realise that has a place in public discussion, so tend to pass over it. It's OK to agree to disagree.

We are lucky to have some incredibly smart people on the forum, so learn from them what you can.
LeTiss

If you've been driven to pose this question, due to the Tommy Robinson thread, then fair enough mate

I think there should still be threads though that discuss challenging subjects, whenever there is a trading related theme to it.

I'm obviously referring to politics and political markets
Euler

I haven't really read in much on the story, but I think the forum should be free to discuss whatever it wishes. Too heavy a hand by moderators would stop people from posting or actively engaging and given the growth in the forum, I think moderation is about right at the moment.
mobius

Might be an idea to check the Betangel Disclaimer. Just listening to a "You and Yours" edition BBCR4 about copyright infringment -not really connected but photos on this site are apparently subject to legal thingummys. There are also discrimination, race, gender bias.......and all the other things I'm guilty of these days. I just started a thread about morons (But it's ok I swapped my door number - so I'm all right - I know where I live - the morons will knock on my neighbours door an' I don't like him much). Leaving the forum "open" is ok but the not-for-profit school music project in the radio article got hit for 700 quid bill for one photo.
:shock:
Autolearner

For what it is worth as a newbie, I think the current moderation arrangement is fine. While occasionally things can get a little rambunctious this generally seems within acceptable bounds. It soon becomes clear when an individual has "gone beyond the pale" and so things generally seem self-correcting.

I continue to be impressed at the general level of support and helpfulness from so many of the more experienced traders to newbies like me. While I may not contribute much I follow many of the threads and am learning lots as I take my faltering steps along this fascinating journey towards trading

I am also starting to get a bit of a handle on the preferred style and approach of some of the "big beasts" in this particular jungle, and am enjoying trying to predict the follow on responses from some posts. But maybe I should devote less of my energies to that and more to trading!!

But once again, think current moderation levels fine, and as a newbie thanks for such a fun, informative and engaging forum. The silent readers salute you!

Return to “General discussion”