Realistic yield

A place to discuss anything.
Kafkaesque

This is such a generic discussion that it may have been done before my time. If so, apologies :)

That said, what would people say is a realistic average yield for pre-trading? I would find opinions on this from the "senior" members interesting (though anyone can of course kick in), and it might be a good guideline for newbies, as I suspect it's smaller than most newbies would think.

As a disclaimer. before the discussion turns to this, I do realize - and agree - from other threads that the consensus is that the initial goal when you start out should be small stakes, limiting losses while you learn and build from there. But once you've put in the hours and start producing a positive yield, what's realistic pre for various sports in your opinion?

I say pre, because inplay is likely to have a much higher variance and thus need a bigger sample size, plus I suspect it differs a lot depending on approach, risk aversion etc. Do toss in opinion on inplay as well, if you fancy, though :)
spreadbetting

Not sure pre off, inplay , scalping , swinging, would make a large difference as usually the greater the reward the greater the risks that need to be absorbed into your wins. Always seems to be debate over how to calculate ROI too but I'd guess my return to back stakes is certainly under 5%
ShaunWhite

I think all the preaching about specific returns being delusional and targets leading to the workhouse have been done to death. You know all that stuff.

So, ... just between you and me (& I don't consider myself to be not especially good yet), anything north of 3% on my total back bets number and I'm happy. Scalpy, swingy, get what you can when you can sort of style, although 'style' is very flattering.

That said, I had a decent day and it was 0.8% but then again I scratched quite a lot so on any given day it's fairly meaningless as you know.

Return to “General discussion”