Huge over-staking foolishness

A place to discuss anything.
LeTiss

Dallas wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:17 am
Your asking about stories have a search for
'New years day' by Letiss

It echoes what Iambic has just said above and what can/will happen if you don't
You never fail to impress me, Dallas........you are a human sponge, you absorb everything on this forum :lol:

But, yes you're right

2008 Arsenal v West Ham New years Day - I've posted it more than once here
Rstrach

brimson25 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:25 am

Anyone got any stories about staking mistakes and how it all ended up ok when they did similar things? (I'm less keen on the ones which end "and then I lost a bunch of money")
Unfortunately mine isn't able to be blamed on anyone but myself, i found myself in a similar position needing a trade to go one way (it never). It escalated to me blowing over a years work building a trading bank in a mere 3 hours :oops:

It can be a cruel game if you are mentally unable to accept a 'loss' it's taken me all this time to go back to normal work build a bank and start to dabble again. I have resigned myself to doing this for enjoyment and taking it easy rather than a sole income, which works great :D

look up my post from that day for more detail should you care! "my darkest and final day" - dramatic

Well done on closing the trade mate :D
Kafkaesque

Jukebox wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:46 pm
I had my default stake size set to £64 on the ladder one busy saturday and flicking through the markets on a lap-top that was a bit slow heard a 'pop' only to discover that I'd acciddently placed a back bet on 0-0 in a correct score market when the score was already 2-1. I didn't even get it all matched at 1000 as there was only about £40 there so everyone who'd left a lay bet in at lower prices got a piece of my action too.
Brutal! A misclick where you have to take a loss is one thing, but with no way out, yikes :(

Sorry about the derail, but I've always wondered about those lays of 1000 at non-relevant spots. It's a sure thing, when it does happen for whoever does it, obviously. Still, you'd have to think, someone only makes that misclick once in a blue moon, and even then it's even a very small roi. Who has 40k to toss around in many spots on the off chance of a tiny roi payoff? What is you guys' take: Betfair filling those spots, someone with a deal with Betfair, or is it actually traders with funds not currently in use and then placing it there?
Kafkaesque

brimson25 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:58 pm
Bloody hell, Shaun. I almost feel guilty about asking the question. Sorry.

You're a strong man. I don't think I'd have had the balls to come back from that.
Pretty much every single, successful, sportsbetter and poker player I've come across in my life has been dead broke more than once. It's not even something that's taboo or a cause for shame. Just par for the course and part of the road to where you got. Okay, most of those were borderline degenerate gamblers in their own right :lol: At least compared to what I'm seeing on here from the regs.

Don't sell yourself short, mate. I'm sure you could come back from that. In fact, most could imo. The breaking point is whether you come back from it stronger and smarter. I'd venture a guess, and like to think from what I've seen on here, that's the case for Shaun.
Derek27

brimson25 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:25 am
Morning

I really, really need the Huddersfield Giants to trade lower than their current price, as I somehow managed to stake roughly 10 times what I intended by clicking the wrong button... Unwilling right now to trade out for a loss, particularly as the market is gappy.

Anyone got any stories about staking mistakes and how it all ended up ok when they did similar things? (I'm less keen on the ones which end "and then I lost a bunch of money")

:oops:
Here's an old thread full of confessions.

viewtopic.php?p=133247#p133247
ShaunWhite

brimson25 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:58 pm
Bloody hell, Shaun. I almost feel guilty about asking the question. Sorry.

You're a strong man. I don't think I'd have had the balls to come back from that.
:) thx.... It's only money brimson. I've been through worse things and survived.
It's certainly made me a very aware of disater recovery and backup plans. I think I could get that closed these days even if the bombs were dropping.

It does remind you though how long it takes to save 7 grand working a 'proper' job. :cry:

If it wasn't for bad luck i wouldn't have no luck at all
napshnap

Anyone got any stories about staking mistakes
Missclicked today at some aus horses market, hedged for 50e loss. Just accept you loss and move on. If we are taking about few thousands loss after hedge, then I don't know, cut your fingers off or something 8-) .
ruthlessimon

napshnap wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:28 pm
Missclicked, hedged for 50e loss.
Blimey :shock:

8-)
napshnap

ruthlessimon wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:31 pm
napshnap wrote:
Missclicked, hedged for 50e loss.
Blimey :shock:

8-)
)) If that was so, then how could i post with my fingers cutted off?
ruthlessimon

napshnap wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:37 pm
)) If that was so, then how could i post with my fingers cutted off?
:lol:

Yeah that's one way to stop it happening again
Kafkaesque

napshnap wrote:
Missclicked today at some aus horses market, hedged for 50e loss. Just accept you loss and move on. If we are taking about few thousands loss after hedge, then I don't know, cut your fingers off or something 8-) .
Cut off the body part causing big mistakes? With that strategy the human race would die out.....most men wouldn't have their baby-making equipment past their teens :lol:
dmbusa

Kafkaesque wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Sorry about the derail, but I've always wondered about those lays of 1000 at non-relevant spots. It's a sure thing, when it does happen for whoever does it, obviously. Still, you'd have to think, someone only makes that misclick once in a blue moon, and even then it's even a very small roi. Who has 40k to toss around in many spots on the off chance of a tiny roi payoff? What is you guys' take: Betfair filling those spots, someone with a deal with Betfair, or is it actually traders with funds not currently in use and then placing it there?
I know some traders who will lay 0-0 then when a goal is scored back at 1000 to get the funds back into their accounts to reuse save waiting for the end of the match
Kafkaesque

dmbusa wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:35 pm
Kafkaesque wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:57 pm

I know some traders who will lay 0-0 then when a goal is scored back at 1000 to get the funds back into their accounts to reuse save waiting for the end of the match
What am I missing here.....how does doing that get money into their account before the end of the match?
Last edited by Kafkaesque on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmbusa

Kafkaesque wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:14 pm

What am I missing here....how does doing that get money into their account before the end of the match?
laying 0-0 at 20's for £5000 stake has £95k Liab back it 1000 for £96 removes the Liab leaves the profit on the other scores which leaves them with the £95k to play another match sooner than waiting.

Personally don't have the guts to do those trades.
Derek27

dmbusa wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:29 pm
Kafkaesque wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:14 pm

What am I missing here....how does doing that get money into their account before the end of the match?
laying 0-0 at 20's for £5000 stake has £95k Liab back it 1000 for £96 removes the Liab leaves the profit on the other scores which leaves them with the £95k to play another match sooner than waiting.

Personally don't have the guts to do those trades.
I didn't realise you can get bets that large on the correct score market but that's a lot of money to throw away on a strategy that's not likely to have a high ROI. When the 0-0 draw comes in they'll suffer heavy losses so I wouldn't have thought they could afford to throw money away just to move onto the next match.

Return to “General discussion”