Using betfair on mobile when abroad?

A place to discuss anything.
arbitrage16

Tried using the native app when in Paris, and predictably this was a no go.

I have always assumed there would be a way to achieve using Android and a VPS - but is it actually possible?

Necessary to have a back up connection, so if the wifi goes down, will I be able to access betfair through data connection on mobile? cheers
Dallas

With a VPS you can connect from anywhere in the world and with any internet enabled device (you just needs RDP or similar free program) on the device your connecting from
arbitrage16

Cheers Dallas. So if the wifi goes down I'd just connect to the VPS via data connection and handle it that way?
Dallas

arbitrage16 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:25 am
Cheers Dallas. So if the wifi goes down I'd just connect to the VPS via data connection and handle it that way?
Yes that's correct, assuming of course, your data connection is decent, if not i'd be inclined to just close all positions asap and wait till you have a strong and steady connection before resuming manually trading
northbound

Alternatively...

On a mobile phone, while abroad, don’t use the app. Simply connect to a VPN and then go with your browser to the Betfair mobile website:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/

I personally recommend ExpressVPN, which costs around £10 per month.
JTEDL

I was in Spain on holiday, 2 months ago. I could only access the Spanish version of Betfair on mobile, so used chrome remote desktop to access BA on laptop at home in UK
gstar1975

northbound wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:29 pm
Alternatively...

On a mobile phone, while abroad, don’t use the app. Simply connect to a VPN and then go with your browser to the Betfair mobile website:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/

I personally recommend ExpressVPN, which costs around £10 per month.
I would highly reccommend NordVPN its the cheapest and best for number of UK servers, I went for the 2 years offer for just £79 thats only £3.29/mth and you can use upto 6 devices
SeaHorseRacing

I can understand reasons for using VPs... especially if you live abroad or have to be abroad for work etc... but if your on holiday why do you want to trade. It’s called Holliday guys. Lol
northbound

From my experience using NordVpn for a few months early 2017, it often struggled to connect to UK servers. Had to retry a few times, not to mention dropped connections.

As for holidays: the way I see it is that if you love what you do, it never feels like working. For me personally, holidays are only necessary when I’m doing jobs I don’t enjoy.
gstar1975

northbound wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:00 am
From my experience using NordVpn for a few months early 2017, it often struggled to connect to UK servers. Had to retry a few times, not to mention dropped connections.

As for holidays: the way I see it is that if you love what you do, it never feels like working. For me personally, holidays are only necessary when I’m doing jobs I don’t enjoy.
I also experienced that last year but since then (2018) no problems at all and even more UK servers to choose from if you find a slow connection just try the next one until you find a super fast connection I manage to get 40+ mb/s. I will have to test the mobile data option and get back to you.
Euler

I've always found hidemyass very effective and never had any problems with it. They have a desktop and mobile connection.
gstar1975

arbitrage16 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:57 am
Tried using the native app when in Paris, and predictably this was a no go.

I have always assumed there would be a way to achieve using Android and a VPS - but is it actually possible?

Necessary to have a back up connection, so if the wifi goes down, will I be able to access betfair through data connection on mobile? cheers
I have ran some tests today using Nordvpn on the Mobile data (local Germany sim card) and with LTE connection (Long Term Evolution) on my mobile phone. I managed to achieve a 30-50 mb/s connection which is amazing by any standard IMO, plenty enough to trade with, and if you have an unlimited data plan.

Return to “General discussion”