Bets or trades that you never made

A place to discuss anything.
brimson25

I both gamble and trade.

Slightly annoyed this morning that I spent half an hour yesterday thinking about Molde vs Hibernian, before deciding that Hibs had dominated the first game, and though Molde were strong, 1.6 was too short. So no bet for me. And it was too short, even though this happened: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45175150

Which just goes to show, that the best gambler ever will be a physicist interested in time travel!

I also regret getting Brexit/Trump wrong (in a betting sense, and I hesitate to mention either because I don't want to go down that route).

Got me thinking what's the worst one you've missed? (My missed 1.6 wasn't the worst, btw, merely the most recent).
Euler

I was on Trump from big odds, but never thought it would happen. The hallmark of a good bet.

Leicester winning the premier league was never going to happen though.
brimson25

Trump was around 100 before the primaries, wasn't he?

Leicester is a great shout. Always like to think if that had been a bet of mine, I'd have stubbornly let it ride (I wouldn't - I have caved about February/March, I think).
Euler

110, £200m market!!!
Jukebox

Since the presidential election I have learned that if something really is a 'sure thing' the market will ensure that ALL alternatives are at 1000 and that Hilary was therefore not a sure thing and an easy overnight parking place for the night.
brimson25

Wow!

Worst thing about that market - in the days leading up to November 2016, loads of people contacted me:

"you know about betting, don't you, will Trump win?" (Because they wanted to back him)

I didn't quite say no chance, because that's just silly, but I wasn't encouraging...
northbound

One afternoon in September 2007 I was in bed with fever and tonsillitis. Threesomes are the best.

There was live racing on TV.

A couple of weeks earlier I heard an interview in which someone connected said that the horse Fremen was going to hit form soon.

That afternoon Fremen was racing, the field was big, the odds higher than 10/1. I was about to put £100 on it, but told myself “don’t be a mug”. As it’s often the case when you don’t bet, the horse won.

On the next race there was a horse called Rowe Park, which won me a few quid a few months earlier. The odds where 40/1+.

My thought was that if I had won that £1k+ on Fremen, I would have definitely put £200 on this Rowe Park, as felt that the odds were a bit too big than they should.

Of course this horse won too.

I turned off the TV and went back to my threesome.
Dublin_Flyer

I was watching the Dereck Chisora v Dillian Whyte fight wondering was there much activity in boxing markets as it was a battle of the Brits, and seemed quite evenly matched. It was a great fight, good liquidity and they hammered the sh1te out of each other the full distance. The graph of the fight market in play was like a seismograph, it would have been hard to not make money on it! Alas I was having a few beers watching it so only observed the market, never entered it :(

I'll be doing a good bit of looking into the McGregor v Khabib UFC fight to try sense will it be similar, 150k traded on it so far with 7 weeks to go.

Return to “General discussion”