Number Crunching After Capturing and Sorting.

A place to discuss anything.
CallumPerry

^ Good advice. Heck Peter even made a video especially for you this week (Practise vs Live) ;) If your idol believes in you then you should too. Set aside a comfortably amount you're willing to lose in a month and trade live in October. See what happens then report back.
jimibt

CallumPerry wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:18 pm
^ Good advice. Heck Peter even made a video especially for you this week (Practise vs Live) ;) If your idol believes in you then you should too. Set aside a comfortably amount you're willing to lose in a month and trade live in October. See what happens then report back.
i'd advise anyone/everyone to take their show on the road on exactly the terms you describe. practice mode can become a fantasy if pursued for too long -i know as i was that man once upon a time (and still am when testing new snippets) :D
ruthlessimon

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:12 pm
How many times has he said you need to test ideas with money? Do you disagree or have you decided that that doesn't apply to you?

Being frank, as always, and you'll hate this...... I think the problem is psychology; either fear of failure or chronic risk aversion.
I completely get that

Maybe I'm totally unique in this regard. But I put far more weight on understanding/improving something, vs the execution - & also why do I need to trade, when you're already testing an edge for me?? :D r.e. back a few pages

For example, today I was looking at two edges - & I applied the same "enhancement" to both; & the refinement was intended to be universal (should boost any strategy)

However, this didn't occur - which has thrown up an entirely new set of questions - which I'm more interested in solving than actually trading ;)

spreadbetting

I think at the end of the day unless the advice your given agrees with your view, you're just going to ignore it , Simon. Not that there's anything wrong in living by your own convictions but you were continually asking for Peter to step in with advice but then don't take it. Live markets always behave differently from past data because the markets react to money entering, call it the butterfly effect or whatever but assuming the market will react exactley how it did with past data may end up being a big flaw in your strategy when it finally comes to playing live. Learning how the market reacts to your money entering is an edge in itself.
ruthlessimon

spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:25 pm
I think at the end of the day unless the advice your given agrees with your view, you're just going to ignore it , Simon. Not that there's anything wrong in living by your own convictions but you were continually asking for Peter to step in with advice but then don't take it.
???

No I don't think that's a fair comment. I realised the advice I was looking for simply cannot be divulged on a forum (for obvious reasons). I mean look how twitchy Shaun got over something (I thought) was minor.

.. but could've been used to make an edge. It wasn't an edge - but the implication was "this is what you need to make an edge".

Ironically, I had answered my own question!!

The key lesson I've learnt from this thread - is to keep my bloody mouth shut!

P.S. I'm assuming you trade nags SB, but if you don't, the advice I was looking for would've allowed you to build an edge on nags. Can you see why stuff like that cannot be divulged on a forum! How traders utilise their data is such a massive edge!!! Most top traders don't even advertise that they track data (i.e. "Shaungate", i.e. page 8) - they especially don't advertise what they're tracking & how they analyse it. Hence why I posted this (I didn't expect Peter to reply):

"Even though I have edges, I am no different to someone asking for an edge, who doesn't have an edge. To the perspective of a trader better than me, I am no different to a complete novice."
CallumPerry

ruthlessimon wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:39 pm

How traders utilise their data is such a massive edge!!! Most top traders don't even advertise that they track data (i.e. "Shaungate", i.e. page 8) - they especially don't advertise what they're tracking & how they analyse it. Hence why I posted this (I didn't expect Peter to reply):
This was the initial barrier I faced that made me start this thread, the thought that once I collect a ton of data what do I do with it? Guess that's where the edges come from. What I will say is looking at SQL databases, advanced pivot tables analysis tutorials on YT and reading the hints from this thread has given me some good ideas now to move forwards.
ShaunWhite

It all starts with "I wonder if thing A as any effect on thing B'. Then ask what info do I need to find out, and how can I make excel show me it. That part usually starts with thinking how you'd do it with pencil and paper, add up this, is it bigger than that etc.

If A does seem to correspond to B in some small way, then try putting thing C on top and seeing if it makes it better or worse. Tada, horses with 3 legs drift unless it's really foggy, in races run on paydays.

Sorry to have become the poster boy for being guarded (thx si) but there's only a finite number of 'things'. Granted they're in a lot of different combinations; it's something to fill those long winter's nights.

Return to “General discussion”