The Use of Betfair Logo - Legal or Illegal?

A place to discuss anything.
oliver123

Basically, I am arranging to have a Betfair trading website designed and, hopefully, up and running by the first week in October. I obviously want to use the Betfair logo but can you just go ahead and use it or do you need to contact Betfair for their permission.

Any thoughts?
jimibt

i think that Betfair will not allow you to use the logo unless they specifically endorse you as a partner. you can imagine the ramifications if there was no due dil performed on a site that purported to be in alliance with BF but was instead conducting business that was outside of the betfair remit.

in short, the marketing and legal teams will make this a difficlt propositon. you could of course link to their site, using their logo, that is a different thing altogether.
spreadbetting

Depends how you're going to use it Oliver, I'd have thought they'd be more than happy to have a trader of your calibre endorsing them.

Most blogs/trader use the logo somewhere on their sites so can't see Betfair complaining unless you try to imply you're endorsed by them, all fails stick a referral link on the site as that has the BF logo. Even Betangel are a bit cheeky calling this forum "Betfair forum | Betfair trading community" so you'd be in good company.
Adriaan

You could signup as an affiliate https://affiliates.betfair.com/ and use their promotional tools / banners on your website..
Euler

It's at the discretion of the trademark holder. You can't use a trademark without permission, but ultimately lots of people do, its how you use it.

If, for example, you used the Bet Angel trademark to actively divert traffic to your site where you recommended another product or made a disparaging review of our product or similar such malfeasance. Then I'd have every right to sue you. But if you are actively promoting a product like Betfair then you probably wouldn't fall foul of that.
oliver123

Good advice, Adriaan, of course, I could do the business via the affiliates option. And Pete, yes I am aware of the upsides and downsides with reference to other-related subjects, e.g. betting robots, etc!
ShaunWhite

Why ask that question here and get guesses when you could just ask them and get the facts?
SeaHorseRacing

Oliver? Will you be posting any YouTube videos on your site? A bit of spandau ballet? Or Duran Duran. Friday or Sat evening specials?

Return to “General discussion”