Software

A place to discuss anything.
Abraquay

With regard to the software for Bet Angel what language is it written in?. Do you employ a team of programmers?
Were there any challenges in writing the software for Bet Angel. I remember doing some programming in my first job using Pascal
on a VAX/VMS based system about 25 years ago now. My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 16K before moving onto the 48K.
When i was at school you either had a ZX Spectrum or Commodore 64. And the kids with rich parents had a BBC Micro Model B.
Derek27

I learnt to program on a ZX Spectrum and when I was 16, I purchased a BBC Model B Micro for £399 (fuck knows what that amounts to in today's money, you can buy a good laptop now for less), but I still wouldn't have thought you need to have rich parents to buy that, if I could afford it on a very modest wage at the time.
gazuty

Today - we live in an age of mass affluence. (Even "poor" people generally have clothing, food and shelter - a far cry from 100 years ago). Basically, the modern capitalist western society has solved poverty. Hence the ideological wars have moved on to things of much less consequence, identity politics mainly and how much more money the government can spend to "solve" another "problem". Our departed friend explains it all here - http://wickeddox.blogspot.com/2007/05/i ... xists.html But I digress.

I did some initial programming on a ZX80 that our school purchased - with 1kb of memory. Yep, back when programming was efficient.

I also used to ride to my local library and use some sort of bigger PC with its own monitor (this was in 1982 and early 1983). You used to have book a time on a Saturday afternoon. I remember taking special care of my 5.25 floppy disk between Saturday's. Lots of fun. From what I remember, we were mainly writing programs to produce interesting graphic displays on the screen.

We also got something that was probably uniquely Australian - a "Dick Smith Wizard" - which was a combo gaming console and also programmable. The games came on cassette tape (the same sort of those for music in 1980s).

Then at home when I was sixteen we got the Commodore 128 - yep the big time.
ShaunWhite

This thread had some nice reminiscences viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16233
wearthefoxhat

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:44 am
I learnt to program on a ZX Spectrum and when I was 16, I purchased a BBC Model B Micro for £399 (fuck knows what that amounts to in today's money, you can buy a good laptop now for less), but I still wouldn't have thought you need to have rich parents to buy that, if I could afford it on a very modest wage at the time.
inflation.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General discussion”