Lest we Forget - 100 Years On

A place to discuss anything.
Dallas

As everyone knows (or should know) this Sunday marks the 100th anniversary the guns fell silent and World War 1 came to an end, it goes without saying that we all owe the men and women of that time a great deal which we can never repay but also never forget

Poppy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaunWhite

There's a stunning new documentary by Peter Jackson, all newly colourised. It really brings the guys to life like nothing I've ever seen. Here's a clip https://youtu.be/EYIeactlMWo
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:40 am
There's a stunning new documentary by Peter Jackson, all newly colourised. It really brings the guys to life like nothing I've ever seen. Here's a clip https://youtu.be/EYIeactlMWo
Thanks for that Shaun, I'm an avid documentary watcher with world wars docs among my favourites and what they've done certainly there looks amazing and years ahead of the colour overlays which have been done so far in recent years.

I've just set it on my planner too (21:30 this Sunday)
gazuty

Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:08 am
As everyone knows (or should know) this Sunday marks the 100th anniversary the guns fell silent and World War 1 came to an end, it goes without saying that we all owe the men and women of that time a great deal which we can never repay but also never forget

Poppy.jpg
+1
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 am
I've just set it on my planner too (21:30 this Sunday)
I hadn't seen that on the tv guide, thx.
I think I'll go and watch it round my old mum's....but then watch it again back home on a decent telly, & not at ear-splitting volume, another time :)
PDC

Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 am
I'm an avid documentary watcher with world wars docs among my favourites
If you haven't seen it, watch on Netflix - The Vietnam War: A Film by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick

10 episodes roughly 100 minutes each.
jimibt

+1 dallas.

if you're a big docu consumer, you should do yourself a favour and watch this one Bobby Kennedy for President

it's a 4 parter. watched it this week and can honestly say that no other docu has touched me like this did. you really get a sense of *what could america have become* if he had become president. touching, funny and deeply investigative.
LeTiss

+1

Those men and women were unbelievably brave, something we struggle to relate to. We have become weakened by generations of peacetime, we'd never have the backbone and resolve our ancestors had.

These days, we describe bravery as somebody who wears a bikini on the beach for the first time in years, due to being 6 stone overweight
jimibt

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:13 am
These days, we describe bravery as somebody who wears a bikini on the beach for the first time in years, due to being 6 stone overweight
...the battle of the bulge
LeTiss

jimibt wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:18 am
LeTiss wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:13 am
...the battle of the bulge
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're sharp today - very encouraging signs for a good day trading
Dallas

Thanks for those earlier links guys,

PDC, I've seen a few of Ken burns stuff and really enjoyed most (US Civil war, dust bowl, the west, prohibition etc) but not the Vietnam you mentioned so will take a look
PDC

Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 pm
PDC, I've seen a few of Ken burns stuff and really enjoyed most (US Civil war, dust bowl, the west, prohibition etc) but not the Vietnam you mentioned so will take a look
I don't think you will be disappointed with the time spent watching it, it scored 98% on Rotten Tomatoes (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_vietnam_war/s01/) and is mainly a 5 star review (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/10/ ... ken-burns/) and has been described by many viewers as the/one of the best thing they have ever watched:

E.g. https://twitter.com/jeremyclarkson/stat ... 04?lang=en

or

https://twitter.com/Benfogle/status/1043930962764222465
oliver123

Sorry people but I will say it again (lost count), why the hell are we remembering all the British dead in WW1? What about all the British military who died in WW2? And if you wanna take it further, what about all the enemy dead? I mean we're all human beings for f*ck's sake!
PDC

oliver123 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:39 am
Sorry people but I will say it again (lost count), why the hell are we remembering all the British dead in WW1? What about all the British military who died in WW2? And if you wanna take it further, what about all the enemy dead? I mean we're all human beings for f*ck's sake!
Not sure why you are so angry but I along with everyone I know remember all service men and women and not just those that died. Having served in the military I would respectfully ask you not to assume who people are remembering.
ANGELS15

PDC wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:51 am
oliver123 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:39 am
Not sure why you are so angry but I along with everyone I know remember all service men and women and not just those that died. Having served in the military I would respectfully ask you not to assume who people are remembering.
Agreed. Also I beleive from being an a documentary watcher of conflicts WW1 was the first war that really shocked the world by it's sheer scale the new technology (air war, bombing, tanks, submarine attacks on shipping). It made a lasting impression that has been passed down generations. Although millions also died in WW2. But certainly by my understanding even from childhood all servicemen are remembered.

Return to “General discussion”