Lest we Forget - 100 Years On

A place to discuss anything.
CallumPerry

bennyboy351 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:52 pm
IMHO, as we stand here, on the eve of the 100th anniversary of the armistice of the 'war to end all wars', I feel we should take a moment to reflect upon just how lucky WE are; to be sitting here 'fat, dumb and happy' thanks to the sacrifices of countless others.

Not wishing to go all political on this issue, I feel we should reflect for a moment on the fact that most of those who fought and died - along with the non-combatants who basically just died - didn't want to make that ultimate sacrifice! They were just unlucky to be born into a time and place where Humankind was at that time in its evolution and therefore had little - if any - choice other than to become caught up in those various conflicts that have - since the dawn of time - seemed to plague mankind. They also weren't as well informed as we - in this manic, technological era - are. So often, they did as they were told, accepting that their 'betters' knew best!

Tomorrow - November 11th, 2018, I shall observe a 2 minute silence (maybe not at 11am) during which, I shall do my best to prove myself worthy of those who made those sacrifices, by pausing and reflecting upon the truth in the simple - yet oh so accurate sentences - "They shall grow not old, as we that are left, grow old. At the setting of the Sun - and in the morning, we will remember them!"

We SHOULD remember them! We MUST remember them! We should NOT denegrate them! We should be thankful that we were not them! RIP - ALL those who died on all 'sides'.......
Nicely put! Can't really add any more to this other than I too will be pausing at 11am for two minutes of silence where I will reflect on how evil life can be, how unfortunate you can be to be born in the wrong time/place and have to literally fight for your life and how lucky I am for not having to go through that. I am alive in this country, happily ignorant to a lot of life's evil, because very very brave men/women/animals have died to keep me safe. God bless their resting souls. I will remember ALL who have fought for mine and my family's future and any young soul who has died fighting selflessly for what he/she believed would make the world a better, safer place to live.
Dallas

bennyboy351 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:52 pm
IMHO, as we stand here, on the eve of the 100th anniversary of the armistice of the 'war to end all wars', I feel we should take a moment to reflect upon just how lucky WE are; to be sitting here 'fat, dumb and happy' thanks to the sacrifices of countless others.

Not wishing to go all political on this issue, I feel we should reflect for a moment on the fact that most of those who fought and died - along with the non-combatants who basically just died - didn't want to make that ultimate sacrifice! They were just unlucky to be born into a time and place where Humankind was at that time in its evolution and therefore had little - if any - choice other than to become caught up in those various conflicts that have - since the dawn of time - seemed to plague mankind. They also weren't as well informed as we - in this manic, technological era - are. So often, they did as they were told, accepting that their 'betters' knew best!

Tomorrow - November 11th, 2018, I shall observe a 2 minute silence (maybe not at 11am) during which, I shall do my best to prove myself worthy of those who made those sacrifices, by pausing and reflecting upon the truth in the simple - yet oh so accurate sentences - "They shall grow not old, as we that are left, grow old. At the setting of the Sun - and in the morning, we will remember them!"

We SHOULD remember them! We MUST remember them! We should NOT denegrate them! We should be thankful that we were not them! RIP - ALL those who died on all 'sides'.......
+1 on that from me
PDC

Only thing I would add to the thread is to think (which I am sure people do) about those who were/are injured either physically or mentally.
jimibt

if you've got the time and inclination, give this a quick watch/listen....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaoXAwl9kw

as someone comments, ...this is what the world would be like if not for idiots and wars... (the idiots referring to warmongers, not the unfortunate participants)
bennyboy351

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:33 pm
oliver123 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:39 am
Sorry people but I will say it again (lost count), why the hell are we remembering all the British dead in WW1? What about all the British military who died in WW2? And if you wanna take it further, what about all the enemy dead? I mean we're all human beings for f*ck's sake!
Remeberence Day is to pay tribute to ALL the fallen in ALL conflicts. WW1 is featuring because of the centenary of the end of the war. It marks the end of 4 years of special events.

You have misunderstood what the day is about, not just this year but every other year by the sounds of it.
You've got it 100% right. :-)
oliver123

Some of the remarks against me are pathetic! Try to look at the wider picture. ALL people die in wars, not just WW1. Try to get it into your heads the millions of villagers who died in Korea and Vietnam! Any remeberance about them - no! We British can be soooooo up our arses thinking that only we died in war! Bullshit. I witnessed personally the bombing on of people in Yemen. Anybody thinks about this hellish culturally suicide by Saudi Arabia? No. You guys get a flipping life!!
Oscar

Oliver,
I think you need to get some rest. Ranting at 6.38am isn't a healthy sign.
I "feel" that all the guys on here are very compassionate, and so are most the us "arseholes" you strangely identify yourself with.
Which part of "All" don't you get? :roll:
Shaun White eloquently wrote;
" Remembrance Day is to pay tribute to All the fallen in All conflicts."
LeTiss

oliver123 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:38 am
Some of the remarks against me are pathetic! Try to look at the wider picture. ALL people die in wars, not just WW1. Try to get it into your heads the millions of villagers who died in Korea and Vietnam! Any remeberance about them - no! We British can be soooooo up our arses thinking that only we died in war! Bullshit. I witnessed personally the bombing on of people in Yemen. Anybody thinks about this hellish culturally suicide by Saudi Arabia? No. You guys get a flipping life!!
There are other services taking place across Europe - we are remembering the British people that died fighting for this country. Other countries will be remembering their dead and not Brits. Ranting about villagers in Korea makes you look a prized twat
Kafkaesque

Being non-British, but from the same cultural tradition if you like, I'm somewhat ambivalent on the whole day. I will though say this in response to Oliver's rant:

It is entirely possible to honour and show respect to the men and women who as individuals and groups of soldiers served to protect their country and in some cases died in that cause, without it meaning that one has a stance one way or another on atrocities in Korea, Northern Ireland or anywhere else; or on the Iraq war; or or or.....

Things aren't as black and white as you'd like to paint the picture, Oliver.
oliver123

Look, I am pretty much older than most on this website. My great grandad died in WW1. What did he die for? And as for all you blockheads with venomous rants against me, let me enlighten you (if it gets through your obvious thick skulls), there is such a thing as peace and love. Let's celebrate the great times in the mid-sixties when we hated war and the dying. If there wasn't a war, there wouldn't be the dying - get it?? Or is that too a basic thought??
spreadbetting

You never actually come across as a peace loving 60's hippy child, if I'm being honest , Oliver.
jimibt

spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:11 pm
You never actually come across as a peace loving 60's hippy child, if I'm being honest , Oliver.
i blame the now defunct *silk road* ;)
CallumPerry

Screaming for people to be compassionate when calling them names... ok. To get this topic back on track, I was teaching in a year 1 class and a year 4 class today who were finishing off some work creative work for the school in Walsall. It's lovely to be feel proud to be British.

Had some very nice conversations about how each young child paid their respects yesterday, a lot of boys saying how they went to the football at the weekend and how good of a job their locals teams did to beautifully: welcome, host and respect many service men and women. I went to visit my brother yesterday and we went to Arsenal vs Wolves. They introduced 100 service people, lay down a combined wreath from both teams and whole thing was so well done.
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:23 am
Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 am
I've just set it on my planner too (21:30 this Sunday)
I hadn't seen that on the tv guide, thx.
I think I'll go and watch it round my old mum's....but then watch it again back home on a decent telly, & not at ear-splitting volume, another time :)
One of the best programs I've seen in a while, at first I wasn't thinking much of it but then once it got going the number of new perspectives it covers with the views of those on the front was really hard-hitting, and of course the way the colour and detail was done really added to it and brought it to life.

Anyone who hasn't seen it well worth a watch!

Return to “General discussion”