Lest we Forget - 100 Years On

A place to discuss anything.
Dallas

Thanks for those earlier links guys,

PDC, I've seen a few of Ken burns stuff and really enjoyed most (US Civil war, dust bowl, the west, prohibition etc) but not the Vietnam you mentioned so will take a look
PDC

Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 pm
PDC, I've seen a few of Ken burns stuff and really enjoyed most (US Civil war, dust bowl, the west, prohibition etc) but not the Vietnam you mentioned so will take a look
I don't think you will be disappointed with the time spent watching it, it scored 98% on Rotten Tomatoes (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_vietnam_war/s01/) and is mainly a 5 star review (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/10/ ... ken-burns/) and has been described by many viewers as the/one of the best thing they have ever watched:

E.g. https://twitter.com/jeremyclarkson/stat ... 04?lang=en

or

https://twitter.com/Benfogle/status/1043930962764222465
oliver123

Sorry people but I will say it again (lost count), why the hell are we remembering all the British dead in WW1? What about all the British military who died in WW2? And if you wanna take it further, what about all the enemy dead? I mean we're all human beings for f*ck's sake!
PDC

oliver123 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:39 am
Sorry people but I will say it again (lost count), why the hell are we remembering all the British dead in WW1? What about all the British military who died in WW2? And if you wanna take it further, what about all the enemy dead? I mean we're all human beings for f*ck's sake!
Not sure why you are so angry but I along with everyone I know remember all service men and women and not just those that died. Having served in the military I would respectfully ask you not to assume who people are remembering.
ANGELS15

PDC wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:51 am
oliver123 wrote:
Not sure why you are so angry but I along with everyone I know remember all service men and women and not just those that died. Having served in the military I would respectfully ask you not to assume who people are remembering.
Agreed. Also I beleive from being an a documentary watcher of conflicts WW1 was the first war that really shocked the world by it's sheer scale the new technology (air war, bombing, tanks, submarine attacks on shipping). It made a lasting impression that has been passed down generations. Although millions also died in WW2. But certainly by my understanding even from childhood all servicemen are remembered.
Wolf1877

oliver123 wrote:
Before giving anyone else the benefit of your crass, ignorant, bigoted and borderline racist views of what the 11th November Rememberance Day represents and with your lack of understanding of exactly whom and which nationalities are remembered then I can only suggest that you try to educate yourself on the subject first. If you do manage to gain a greater understanding of what it represents and you personally still dont wish to pay your respects then kindly allow others to do so without the benefit of your unwanted personal views.
cappy77

I can only echo the words said already on the first page and add no matter how much we try we will never fully understand what our grand parents and great-grand parents lived through and endured
ShaunWhite

oliver123 wrote:
Remeberence Day is to pay tribute to ALL the fallen in ALL conflicts. WW1 is featuring because of the centenary of the end of the war. It marks the end of 4 years of special events.

You have misunderstood what the day is about, not just this year but every other year by the sounds of it.
bennyboy351

IMHO, as we stand here, on the eve of the 100th anniversary of the armistice of the 'war to end all wars', I feel we should take a moment to reflect upon just how lucky WE are; to be sitting here 'fat, dumb and happy' thanks to the sacrifices of countless others.

Not wishing to go all political on this issue, I feel we should reflect for a moment on the fact that most of those who fought and died - along with the non-combatants who basically just died - didn't want to make that ultimate sacrifice! They were just unlucky to be born into a time and place where Humankind was at that time in its evolution and therefore had little - if any - choice other than to become caught up in those various conflicts that have - since the dawn of time - seemed to plague mankind. They also weren't as well informed as we - in this manic, technological era - are. So often, they did as they were told, accepting that their 'betters' knew best!

Tomorrow - November 11th, 2018, I shall observe a 2 minute silence (maybe not at 11am) during which, I shall do my best to prove myself worthy of those who made those sacrifices, by pausing and reflecting upon the truth in the simple - yet oh so accurate sentences - "They shall grow not old, as we that are left, grow old. At the setting of the Sun - and in the morning, we will remember them!"

We SHOULD remember them! We MUST remember them! We should NOT denegrate them! We should be thankful that we were not them! RIP - ALL those who died on all 'sides'.......
ShaunWhite

Nice words Bennyboy.
CallumPerry

bennyboy351 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:52 pm
IMHO, as we stand here, on the eve of the 100th anniversary of the armistice of the 'war to end all wars', I feel we should take a moment to reflect upon just how lucky WE are; to be sitting here 'fat, dumb and happy' thanks to the sacrifices of countless others.

Not wishing to go all political on this issue, I feel we should reflect for a moment on the fact that most of those who fought and died - along with the non-combatants who basically just died - didn't want to make that ultimate sacrifice! They were just unlucky to be born into a time and place where Humankind was at that time in its evolution and therefore had little - if any - choice other than to become caught up in those various conflicts that have - since the dawn of time - seemed to plague mankind. They also weren't as well informed as we - in this manic, technological era - are. So often, they did as they were told, accepting that their 'betters' knew best!

Tomorrow - November 11th, 2018, I shall observe a 2 minute silence (maybe not at 11am) during which, I shall do my best to prove myself worthy of those who made those sacrifices, by pausing and reflecting upon the truth in the simple - yet oh so accurate sentences - "They shall grow not old, as we that are left, grow old. At the setting of the Sun - and in the morning, we will remember them!"

We SHOULD remember them! We MUST remember them! We should NOT denegrate them! We should be thankful that we were not them! RIP - ALL those who died on all 'sides'.......
Nicely put! Can't really add any more to this other than I too will be pausing at 11am for two minutes of silence where I will reflect on how evil life can be, how unfortunate you can be to be born in the wrong time/place and have to literally fight for your life and how lucky I am for not having to go through that. I am alive in this country, happily ignorant to a lot of life's evil, because very very brave men/women/animals have died to keep me safe. God bless their resting souls. I will remember ALL who have fought for mine and my family's future and any young soul who has died fighting selflessly for what he/she believed would make the world a better, safer place to live.
Dallas

bennyboy351 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:52 pm

+1 on that from me
PDC

Only thing I would add to the thread is to think (which I am sure people do) about those who were/are injured either physically or mentally.
jimibt

if you've got the time and inclination, give this a quick watch/listen....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaoXAwl9kw

as someone comments, ...this is what the world would be like if not for idiots and wars... (the idiots referring to warmongers, not the unfortunate participants)
bennyboy351

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:33 pm
oliver123 wrote:
Remeberence Day is to pay tribute to ALL the fallen in ALL conflicts. WW1 is featuring because of the centenary of the end of the war. It marks the end of 4 years of special events.

You have misunderstood what the day is about, not just this year but every other year by the sounds of it.
You've got it 100% right. :-)

Return to “General discussion”