Peter’s average number of matched bets per race

A place to discuss anything.
xitian

Thought I better move to a new thread.
xitian wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:05 pm
Dallas wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:47 pm
about 2 weeks ago Peter did over 1/2million in matched bets on a Saturday afternoon
Hang on, just to clarify - so let’s say an afternoon is 5 hours to give round numbers. That means Peter was matching 100,000 per hour, or approximately 30 matches per second sustained over 5 hours. If those are matches, how many unmatched bets did he place? Also is he self-matching at all to get those numbers?

No wonder Betfair servers are struggling at this time. It’s Peter bringing it down!

Any idea what his take/offer ratio was in that half million in an afternoon?
Euler wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:07 pm
50 races, 10k a race isn't a huge amount.

Betfair was reluctant to give me any information on my activity, but when I started trading seriously on Betdaq I asked them to check my account to see if I was aggressively taking prices or adding liquidity to their exchange. On average I offered 85% of my positions to the market. I haven't gone through that exercise recently, but I'd say if you offer you benefit from the spread as well as any net positive strategy you have found, so that's why I do it.
I must say, that’s pretty impressive. Is 100% of that through BetAngel software then?

How much of that is manual trading (with servants) vs using pure BetAngel automation? Even with servants I struggle to see how you can maintain 30 bets matched a second for 5 hours. So I’m guessing the majority is BetAngel automation?
Euler

Where do you get 30 bets a second?

I trade manually, automatically and using servants which is sort of a bit of both. But anybody that trades seriously would rack up pretty big turnover very quickly, especially on big markets. I don't see anything unusual, especially when you consider the volume you can get through a really large race.
Dallas

I was thinking the same but having just checked I think he's mistaken 0.5 million as individual bets and not £0.5 million pounds matched
Euler

I think so.
xitian

50 races with 10,000 bets per race, 5 mins trading each race = 300 secs, so 30 bets per second.

Alternatively 5 hours of trading, 100,000 bets in that time, works out as 100,000 in 3600 seconds which again is around 30 matches per second.

Where am I going wrong?
Euler

Dallas was talking volume traded, not the number of bets.
Euler

Transaction charges would kill any profit at that frequency of bets I would have thought.
xitian

Ah, ok. Dallas’ original statement above said “1/2 million in matched bets”. I took that to mean you matched 1/2 million bets. Not turned over half a million in volume.

Confusion cleared up now!

Return to “General discussion”