Black Friday Specials...

A place to discuss anything.
jimibt

CallumPerry wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:22 pm
So through all my searching today, the best deal looks to be something that isn't even part of Black Friday, don't give a rat's arse about it being new. These specs look good to your fellas? There's a handful in stock if anyone else is considering an upgrade today too...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0774Y9Q55/ ... 1476036424
callum - nice price. have to fess up tho, altho i have a desktop (from 2015), i actually no longer see the virtue in static computing (be that immobile objects or storage). my current setup is basically a i5 laptop which connects to a variety of VM's (BA versioned one among them).

in short, i wouldn't buy a desktop anymore, UNLESS, my work/life crossover somehow needed it. as things stand, everything i do workwise nowadays is on a VM and anything i need to test locally can be more than handled by a mid range laptop... (and generally is moot due to aforementioned VM's).

also, i travel a bit (work and real life), so having a laptop that can connect to xyz service is for me the expected nirvanna..
Last edited by jimibt on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasBarrow

Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:02 pm
JasBarrow wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:36 pm
Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:55 am

Couldn't manage without mine anymore

What way can it be used to make trading more streamlined?
It allows you to action anything and everything at the push of a button, so I have all my servants and every other action I use regularly in BA like greening, reverse greening, profile switching, trading screens, staking methods etc assigned to there own button

I literally have everything I use on a regular basis at the touch a button, it feels strange when I'm on my laptop or other PC and have to actually move the cursor about to open/launch things
pretty cool so I guess you could assign keyboard shortcuts to different buttons also rather than fidgeting about with a gaming mouse?
jimibt

JasBarrow wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:10 pm
Dallas wrote:
JasBarrow wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:36 pm

What way can it be used to make trading more streamlined?
It allows you to action anything and everything at the push of a button, so I have all my servants and every other action I use regularly in BA like greening, reverse greening, profile switching, trading screens, staking methods etc assigned to there own button

I literally have everything I use on a regular basis at the touch a button, it feels strange when I'm on my laptop or other PC and have to actually move the cursor about to open/launch things
pretty cool so I guess you could assign keyboard shortcuts to different buttons also rather than fidgeting about with a gaming mouse?
i reckon this is EXACTLY what Dallas does ;)
jimibt

good overview!!
Dallas

jimibt wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:25 pm
JasBarrow wrote:
Dallas wrote:

Correct on both :)

I used a 9 button Gaming mouse for years but within a few weeks getting the streamdeck ended up doing away with it and solely using the steam deck

The video Jukebox has just linked to shows it being used by Peter (around 6min 35 secs)
JasBarrow

Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:49 pm
jimibt wrote:
JasBarrow wrote:

I used a 9 button Gaming mouse for years but within a few weeks getting the streamdeck ended up doing away with it and solely using the steam deck

The video Jukebox has just linked to shows it being used by Peter (around 6min 35 secs)

looks like i'll have to get one then!

last question on this can it be used to action other things on your pc like when youre not using BA can it be used for openingfiles and launching chrome etc...?
Dallas

JasBarrow wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:00 pm
Dallas wrote:
jimibt wrote:

last question on this can it be used to action other things on your pc like when youre not using BA can it be used for openingfiles and launching chrome etc...?
Yes almost anything can be assigned to a button which is why I miss it so much when I'm on my laptop,

If you look at the 2nd image I posted yesterday I have set mine up so the icon at the top left opens google for me, while at the bottom left next to the BA icon the 'windows tiles' icon opens a new layout where I have all the following windows based apps I use most configured
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JasBarrow

thanks Dallas
PDC

Dallas wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:15 pm
JasBarrow wrote:
Dallas wrote:

Yes almost anything can be assigned to a button which is why I miss it so much when I'm on my laptop,

If you look at the 2nd image I posted yesterday I have set mine up so the icon at the top left opens google for me, while at the bottom left next to the BA icon the 'windows tiles' icon opens a new layout where I have all the following windows based apps I use most configured
So with it being Prime Day I thought I would look to see what deals are on and I see the Stream Deck 15 button option is reduced from around £140 to £99, not as good as the £90 it was a while back as documented on this thread but still a good 40% off what it normally sells at.

Now I am tempted to get one but don't think I would use it for my trading as I use my gaming pad for that and can't see this replacing it for that purpose as my hand sits permanently on the gaming pad which I have all the functions I need hot key'ed in and I know the buttons without having to think or look.

So, I was interested more in it from a general computing use and would be interested in Dallas etc giving their views on it from this view point now they have had it for some time.

I use a series of about 4 excel files constantly so it would be handy to have them assigned to keys on it (I assume it could do this), also could it be used to activate Excel split screen vertical on one button and horizontal on another as these are two things I use a lot in Excel?

But other than that I am not really sure what else it would come in useful for?

I would be really keen to hear what people who have had it for a while now think of it, in particular if you have a gaming pad as well and how you have found you use the two?

Thanks
Dallas

PDC wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:49 pm
Dallas wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:15 pm
JasBarrow wrote:

So with it being Prime Day I thought I would look to see what deals are on and I see the Stream Deck 15 button option is reduced from around £140 to £99, not as good as the £90 it was a while back as documented on this thread but still a good 40% off what it normally sells at.

Now I am tempted to get one but don't think I would use it for my trading as I use my gaming pad for that and can't see this replacing it for that purpose as my hand sits permanently on the gaming pad which I have all the functions I need hot key'ed in and I know the buttons without having to think or look.

So, I was interested more in it from a general computing use and would be interested in Dallas etc giving their views on it from this view point now they have had it for some time.

I use a series of about 4 excel files constantly so it would be handy to have them assigned to keys on it (I assume it could do this), also could it be used to activate Excel split screen vertical on one button and horizontal on another as these are two things I use a lot in Excel?

But other than that I am not really sure what else it would come in useful for?

I would be really keen to hear what people who have had it for a while now think of it, in particular if you have a gaming pad as well and how you have found you use the two?

Thanks
There are loads of options on it, for what I need I've only used the same 3-4 functions so not really investigated all its other capabilities

When I get 5 minutes later tonight or in the morning I'll have a play about with to see if it can do some of the things you've asked about, I should imagine specific excel sheets or any file, image etc won't be a problem to assign to a button.
Also, the split screen should be doable, its aimed at gamers and YT'ers so I imagine that's something they'd want to do.

I do still have a multi-button gaming mouse but tend to use a regular mouse alongside the stream deck now so I sort of traded 2 handed (mouse in 1 stream deck in other).

To give you an idea of how I use mine I have multiple profiles set up so in that image if I push the BA logo that opens a new profile with 15 new short cuts all for navigating and opening stuff in BA like Guardian WL's etc, a button is dedicated to servants and when pressed will open yet another profile which has just all my Servants at my fingertips.

Going back out to that image above the firefox logo in the top right opens the web for me, I then have a profile with all my regular sites etc.

I think I now have around 8 profile with up to 13 shortcut buttons on each (I use 2 buttons on each to switch back and forth to other profiles quickly) so can be a handy bit of kit for many things
PDC

Thanks for that Dallas, I guess with that many profiles you find the little image icon on the buttons are needed so you know what button is what.

I don't think I would have the number of profiles you do.

I really like my gaming pad as it sits in the hand perfectly. I have never been a fan of the gaming mouse buttons, I do have one but just for the comfort of it over a regular dumb mouse but bar the back and forward buttons on the mouse for going back and forth on webpages I don't use all the other features on it as the gaming pad is ideal for that sort of thing.

Other than the images on the buttons, to remind you what each button does, I am struggling to see what positives the stream deck would have over the gaming pad, the big negative for me on the streamdeck is that it isn't ergonomically designed to allow you hand to rest on it like you do with a gaming pad/mouse.

My gaming pad has 3 profiles that I can toggle through and it can auto switch profiles depending on what program is in focus (not that I have ever used this feature).

It sounds like most of your benefit from using it is down to Bet Angel but I don't use trading software in the complex way you though so it would be for more general computer use and non trading data use.
Dallas

PDC wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:15 pm
Thanks for that Dallas, I guess with that many profiles you find the little image icon on the buttons are needed so you know what button is what.

I don't think I would have the number of profiles you do.

I really like my gaming pad as it sits in the hand perfectly. I have never been a fan of the gaming mouse buttons, I do have one but just for the comfort of it over a regular dumb mouse but bar the back and forward buttons on the mouse for going back and forth on webpages I don't use all the other features on it as the gaming pad is ideal for that sort of thing.

Other than the images on the buttons, to remind you what each button does, I am struggling to see what positives the stream deck would have over the gaming pad, the big negative for me on the streamdeck is that it isn't ergonomically designed to allow you hand to rest on it like you do with a gaming pad/mouse.

My gaming pad has 3 profiles that I can toggle through and it can auto switch profiles depending on what program is in focus (not that I have ever used this feature).

It sounds like most of your benefit from using it is down to Bet Angel but I don't use trading software in the complex way you though so it would be for more general computer use and non trading data use.
I think from the needs you've described then a Gamepad is maybe more suitable for you, I did have the following YT video bookmarked from when I first got mine which goes through its features, that should tell you for sure if getting one for your requirements is worth it for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbdDF4bo8-s
PDC

Thanks Dallas, I will have a watch of the video. I didn't buy one in the end but will have a think about if it would suit my needs now/in the future and maybe pick one up next time they are on offer. Probably black Friday if not before.
ged1200

Interesting discussion re automating repetitive tasks. I'm always looking to find ways of working more efficiently and hadn't considered a game pad before. I think Streamdeck might be overkill for me too so any thoughts/ideas would be welcome.

PDC - what game pad do you use and what have you set it up to do? I like to have excel data readily accessible but find it a pain digging in to various workbooks and worksheets and switching between excel, exchanges and bookies at the same time. I had been thinking that multiple monitors (at the very least x2) was the only way to go but this thread has got me thinking that it might be possible to streamline workflow without filling a workspace with screens?

Which begs another question - static (desktop) or mobile (laptop)? I've favoured the latter over recent years as I like having the option of being able to 'de-camp' if I want to and work from anywhere. I've been considering and pricing up a desktop set-up but I'm somehow reluctant to tie myself to a fixed workstation/environment. I guess to have both options would be ideal but at this time I need to choose between one or the other.

Anyone else got any views on this?

Return to “General discussion”