Distraction and trading

A place to discuss anything.
stueytrader

Potentially a good time of year to make this posting. ;)

Been pondering the issue of household distraction and my own trading activity. I wonder if others encounter the issue?
Usually mostly an issue of family noise of course. I sometimes manage to get my quieter space/time in the house, but not always. I think it affects me negatively at times - eye off the ball. :|

Is this something I should really address and try to manage I wonder. Not always easy though, other than basically not trading at all when distraction is around (would heavily limit it).

What do others do?
Derek27

I only experience it when I'm staying with relatives so it makes me appreciate the peace of living on my own. :)

If you're living with people it is crucial that they understand that you must not be disturbed while trading even if they don't understand trading, just like they wouldn't disturb a student studying for imminent exams.
stueytrader

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:11 pm
I only experience it when I'm staying with relatives so it makes me appreciate the peace of living on my own. :)

If you're living with people it is crucial that they understand that you must not be disturbed while trading even if they don't understand trading, just like they wouldn't disturb a student studying for imminent exams.
Yes, though sometimes a little difficult to get that across entirely, especially where kids are involved!
I think it's also slightly more difficult a 'sell' when trading is like mine, essentially only a sideline not my job. Can seem to others it's only a hobby in that case (it's actually a very serious hobby and sideline to me).
Just to note, I do set plenty time aside away from trading, so not like I'm trading during a Christmas dinner or anything like that.. :lol:
iambic_pentameter

I agree with what Derek says about people needing to understand you can't be disturbed.

It might also help to say to the family that if you can crack this, it could potentially change their lives hence why you need the quiet time.

Have a good 2019.

Iambic
LeTiss

Interesting balance though, because I live on my own.

Whilst, I have nobody to distract me, I also have nobody to remind me there's a life away from trading
spreadbetting

stueytrader wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:03 pm
Potentially a good time of year to make this posting. ;)

Been pondering the issue of household distraction and my own trading activity. I wonder if others encounter the issue?
Usually mostly an issue of family noise of course. I sometimes manage to get my quieter space/time in the house, but not always. I think it affects me negatively at times - eye off the ball. :|

Is this something I should really address and try to manage I wonder. Not always easy though, other than basically not trading at all when distraction is around (would heavily limit it).

What do others do?
Good luck with that , don't think I ever found a way of stopping them pestering me. All you can do is win double and realise eventually kids grow up and move out :) It's a nightmare if you're doing this as a sidleline rather than job. If you do have a spare room set it up as an office is pretty much the only advise I can give as your kid's and missus will ignore your requests for peace unless they realise their livliehood depends on it also.
Cards37

I'll fess up to something here as a warning to others not to trade distracted.

Given I am in Australia I can only trade on test cricket when play is not underway,

So the morning of Day Four of the Boxing Day test I was trading the draw (from memory it was still around fives) and left some open positions when my four year old son came in wanting a few things. I thought I would be two minutes but a few things led to another and before you know it I had completely forgotten I had left some unmatched bets on either side of the current prices. Well of course I didn't remember for hours and when I got back India were dominating and my position had deteriorated to a $1000 loss .....

Never trade distracted !!!!!!!!!!!!!
stueytrader

Cheers for the replies, some interesting views as a range suggested here, must admit.

I agree with the suggestion from spreadbetting about getting a 'space' sorted, I've worked on that specifically as a strategy must admit. It took some fairly recent IKEA work to get it sorted - which I didn't enjoy, but at least if it gives me a simple space that's a move on. I'm not quite rich enough for my own trading room sadly in my house, so a space it is for now. :)

The one advantage is that it has a door which can make it my 'room' at times. Amazing what quiet can add.

It's a start, and I have noticed it helps some days.
Last edited by stueytrader on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stueytrader

Just as an additional example, I remember the inplay trader Dave (who had a fairly well known blog, not sure if he's known on here or not?) talking about his house/trading situation. He said it was mad (family, kids etc) and often distracting I seem to recall from his blog. Still did pretty well though...

Return to “General discussion”