Matched betting

A place to discuss anything.
brimson25

I apologise firstly if this post is in the wrong place our outwith the subject of the forum, but I hope any punishment beating from the mods is light; I remembered some members here have a matched betting background and thought someone might be kind enough to answer my dumb question.

So, I had been dimly aware of matched betting and then saw this tweet:

https://twitter.com/nickgoff79/status/1 ... 5036517376

Assuming this ad is real, I didn't know it was such big business!

I have a simple question:

Surely if you do this, you have a short shelf-life, as the bookies give offers to new members only generally (don't they?), and then sometimes, ban those doing this sort of thing? How can you possibly have longevity? And yet, this firm has 12k subscribers who are apparently making between £300 and £1500 a month? What am I missing?
LinusP

Quick look and this job is for a company that advises on how to Match Bet, ie. they are not making money from match betting themselves, or have I misunderstood your question?

As you have alluded to the user turnover on this business is huge, hence the requirement for a Marketing Director :lol:
sa7med

I started matched betting before getting into trading. its definitely possible to maintain a few hundred quid a month with not that much effort, especially if you don't make any foolish mistakes (of which i made several). Some bookies will limit your account if you're too obvious about it (especially if you're matching with arbs) but a few like coral and william hill seem to tolerate it. You keep getting the offers, not just for the new members, although those are the most lucrative. I still get freebet offers in my inbox all the time. Many have weekly offers on horse racing.
brimson25

LinusP wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:52 am
Quick look and this job is for a company that advises on how to Match Bet, ie. they are not making money from match betting themselves, or have I misunderstood your question?

As you have alluded to the user turnover on this business is huge, hence the requirement for a Marketing Director :lol:
Linus - I just mean that I thought it was some sort of fruitless scam. Surely their whole business can't be hunting new users to replace the ones who realise it doesn't pay long term. Can it? I must be naive.
brimson25

sa7med wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 pm
I started matched betting before getting into trading. its definitely possible to maintain a few hundred quid a month with not that much effort, especially if you don't make any foolish mistakes (of which i made several). Some bookies will limit your account if you're too obvious about it (especially if you're matching with arbs) but a few like coral and william hill seem to tolerate it. You keep getting the offers, not just for the new members, although those are the most lucrative. I still get freebet offers in my inbox all the time. Many have weekly offers on horse racing.
Cheers. I'm really surprised. I just can't get my head round why, If it works, why doesn't every do it?
spreadbetting

brimson25 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Cheers. I'm really surprised. I just can't get my head round why, If it works, why doesn't every do it?
Probably because it's generally not as easy to maintain accounts as the ads may make out and people in general are too lazy to try something if they don't understand it. But like sa7med says the majority doing it aren't doing the old bonus bagging it's generally the freebies over a large number of accounts. Obvious arbers/bonus baggers get limited very quckly so people do have to put in the effort especially if they're searching out bets themselves.

I've offered a mate on the dole how to play the exchanges/bonus bag etc even offered to give him a couple of bots to run but he'd turned it down as too complicated even though it's simply mean switching on the pc and logging in :) Some people are just happy as they are I guess.
brimson25

Makes sense. Lots of people lack confidence too.

ps. If you're feeling benevolent, send them my way. I have an entirely useless rugby union draw strategy to share if you want :lol: (I'm convinced it will work one day)
LinusP

brimson25 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:30 pm
LinusP wrote:

Linus - I just mean that I thought it was some sort of fruitless scam. Surely their whole business can't be hunting new users to replace the ones who realise it doesn't pay long term. Can it? I must be naive.
You have pretty much summed up every bookmaker...
Euler

I originally started by arbing on Betfair back in 2000 but it's always got a limited shelf life as you run out of bookmaker accounts. I was surprised to see matched betting get such attention as I always felt it was niche and had low upside. That's why I started trading as it was a sort of synthetic arb with huge potential.

I haven't looked recently at matched betting, but it probably still has some potential if you are starting from scratch.
brimson25

LinusP wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:49 pm
brimson25 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:30 pm
LinusP wrote:

You have pretty much summed up every bookmaker...
:D

Good point.
sa7med

good way to build a bank to trade with and is a good way to start to understand the exchange
Cards37

sa7med wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:36 pm
good way to build a bank to trade with and is a good way to start to understand the exchange
Agreed. I think this is it's strongest point. It's a very useful way to build a bank and then once limited or banned you take that bank into trading. Certainly how I built up my bank.
vankancisco

It just goes to show how something so simple can result in big rewards. The kid who started off one of the leading matched betting sites basically just took info that was already online and packaged it in a half presentable way. No edges needed : ) I think he was at university at the time. It's made him a multi-millionaire with plenty more to come.

Return to “General discussion”