Why do you trade what you trade?

A place to discuss anything.
brimson25

Inspired by Peter saying he didn't have the capacity for cricket, I wondered again how people had come up with the trading schedules they have. I've dithered around this question for ages and hope to be inspired by someone who has "solved it"!

I'm always concerned that I should be doing something else, particularly on weekends. Bad, and counterproductive FOMO! I wish I could just settle and say I am an x trader, who sometimes does a bit of y.

Take yesterday - if you tried to do tennis, cricket, football, darts, politics you'd have been busy for about 20 hours and trying to do three things at once at some points!

I suppose the right things to think about are:

1. Is this profitable? How profitable?
2. Do I enjoy the sport?
3. Do I enjoy the experience of trading it?
4. Have I seen my family today? :shock:

Any views very welcome.
MemphisFlash

personally if two flies are crawling up a wall and i can trade it i will,
I pretty much trade all sports from footy to darts with tennis , american footy, badmington, table tennis, snooker, golf, F1, along with the greyhounds and horses.
Derek27

I trade horse racing because I've been interested in racing since the age of eight. I took up tennis over a year ago but I don't really have the energy to get involved in anything else when there's so much racing and tennis on.
brimson25

MemphisFlash wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:58 am
personally if two flies are crawling up a wall and i can trade it i will,
I pretty much trade all sports from footy to darts with tennis , american footy, badmington, table tennis, snooker, golf, F1, along with the greyhounds and horses.
Don't you feel conflicted all the time? eg. I'm doing footy and I can't do horses?
brimson25

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:52 am
I trade horse racing because I've been interested in racing since the age of eight. I took up tennis over a year ago but I don't really have the energy to get involved in anything else when there's so much racing and tennis on.
Interest in the sport drives you then. That's probably the best reason.
Derek27

brimson25 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:12 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:52 am
Interest in the sport drives you then. That's probably the best reason.
It's probably more a case of knowledge of the sport than interest, as these days I don't really watch the racing or take much interest in it because I'm too busy trading.
stueytrader

Similar to me in knowledge/interest and experience main reasons I mostly trade horse racing.

Enough wasted time in my past, which has finally become useful in my trading now....

I'd agree with your earlier point that I would find quite large conflicts in time/energy in trading too many sports or events. I can just about cope with 1 horse race at a time personally!
napshnap

brimson25 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:17 am
I suppose the right things to think about are:

1. Is this profitable? How profitable?
2. Do I enjoy the sport?
3. Do I enjoy the experience of trading it?
4. Have I seen my family today? :shock:

Any views very welcome.
I'll add another point:

5. Can it be automated in the future?

And I highly recommend newbies to take this into account, cause trading can quickly become routine and betfair provides you with all necessary infrastructure to automate it.
MemphisFlash

Don't you feel conflicted all the time? eg. I'm doing footy and I can't do horses?
19.01.19 2.PNG

does that look conflicting to you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emmson

There is a subtle difference in the way Memphis Flash's p&l is layed out when I compare it to mine. Look at the triangle after just for today, mine is filled in and his is not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brimson25

MemphisFlash wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:35 pm

19.01.19 2.PNG

does that look conflicting to you
No!

Do you do lots of automation?
MemphisFlash

yes i automate the dogs and horses but maually trade tennis.
northbound

I trade what I trade because it's profitable, although am clearly a small time player.
Derek27

northbound wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:27 am
I trade what I trade because it's profitable, although am clearly a small time player.
:lol:
weemac

Switch from raindrops to flies, imo.

Return to “General discussion”