Why do you trade what you trade?

A place to discuss anything.
JTEDL

Football - favourite sport to watch, so understand it a lot more, so good to trade
Tennis - don't watch it too much, enjoy trading it as good risk/reward
Racing - again don't watch it too much, I purely trade the numbers and reason I like it so much is the short time period, anything from 5 seconds to 5 mins and I'm done and on to next race
Thebest147

Personal I wil trade anything as long as there is enough liquidity to get out without losing my balls, ie cricket you won't lose to much as there is plenty of time to get out of a bad situation,with plenty of money on either side of the book,but USA horse racing if you take a trade and goes wrong you have to take an terrible price, or pointless trying to get to much money though an E liquid market
bennyboy351

Horses - only! Reason, I can fit horse racing into my present lifestyle easily. Maybe once I spend more time trading, I will look at other sports, but the easy in/easy out, high liquidity aspect of BRITISH horse racing suits me at present. :-)
LeTiss

bennyboy351 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:49 pm
Horses - only!
Anything, but horses!

I hate horse racing, I have ZERO interest in the sport. I think that's reflected in my inconsistent trading on horses over the years - it's difficult to suceed in anything in life, when you don't enjoy it
brimson25

Really appreciate the replies here. I look at it every now and then when I consider trying to trade something which doesn't me, to remind myself that's it's fine to just say: that's not for me. And that there are lots of different ways to make it work.
stueytrader

brimson25 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:34 pm
Really appreciate the replies here. I look at it every now and then when I consider trying to trade something which doesn't me, to remind myself that's it's fine to just say: that's not for me. And that there are lots of different ways to make it work.
I've considered diversifying (from almost only horses pre-race), but found it tricky must admit.

Football and tennis are two sports I both played and love watching/following. But my trading on both has totally stunk! I'm not sure why, but potentially I had too many preconceptions for both those, from simply being a player/fan.

With horses I am more clinical essentially.
wearthefoxhat

For trading purposes - Football over Horses in the long run.

I enjoy the mystique allure of horse racing, but can only really trade In-Play profitably, quite time consuming.

Football has more data and varying markets to get involved in. Again, In-Play is where nice returns are possible.

Greyhounds, not so much for trading but for straight laying opportunities.
rik

I think the main reason why im 80% horse racing at least for manual trading is that I see clear potential to improve. If I dont have new ideas it can quickly become boring and feel like a grind.
I like watching tennis for example and im profitable but other than doing a lot of statistical analysis which is just not my thing I dont see good route to get better at what im doing there, same for some other sports like football.
Horse racing has some unique characteristics both pre race and inplay.
stueytrader

I really should try to get my head around trading Tennis.

I played the sport to a fairly decent level in my younger days, and follow the sport closely. Just need to learn some proper trading ability around it.

Plus, I need to expand so that when racing is weaker I've got another string to the bow (or racket)...
trader44

" personally if two flies are crawling up a wall and i can trade it i will "

brilliant that made me laugh out loud :D :D :D
Crazyskier

Dogs. Due to volume of races and therefore speed in refining (mostly automated) strategies.

CS
LeTiss

I'm pretty much a football only trader these days

Return to “General discussion”