Drones for faster / better views

A place to discuss anything.
megarain

I know the guy ..hes v pro-active/hardworking.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racin ... -edge.html
Dallas

There's been a few comments about this on the Today's racing thread over the last few days
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7400&start=15618
PDC

Might be better to keep this discussion on this thread as it will get lost in the Today's Racing thread quickly.

Here are most of the posts from there:
PDC wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:13 pm
Dallas wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:54 am
PDC wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:42 am
Racing out to ban drones over fears they 'give punters unfair edge'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racin ... l#comments
I've always been surprised it's not been more widely used given how tech-savvy in-play traders generally are on course
A further article from today about Drones and inrunning punting:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... MAaKUGtKVM
A 5 minute news section on BBC East Midlands from last night with footage of drones in use during the races on Sunday at Southwell. Southwell say they have had drones there for every meeting in the last 6 months.

The program is only available until 7pm tonight on iPlayer, it is the first news segment:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... s-17012019
sionascaig

PDC

I'll fly my drones and nobody can stop me!

Interview with drone owner:

https://twitter.com/tonypaley/status/10 ... 9505012736
megarain

Yeah .. I am not sure he wants the publicity .. but, agree with his assessment that legally, the courses can do v little.

Horse races are an almost ideal vehicle. The races only last 3-5 mins .. so, battery life on drone not an issue, and picture quality is
now good enough.

I am involved with a security project to use a drone down a (gold) mine .. its pretty amazing what definition u can get etc.

Once battery life improves .. I cold easily see v many sports having live feeds. I am sure data rights are being trampled on .. but, thats
what the law is for.
Balmus

I have been looking into it a lot in the last few weeks and have contacted a few drone pilots based in the south of England. Each and everyone of them has been super anal about what I want to use them for and not one has agreed to even give one track a go. The only way is to buy all the gear myself and attend tracks with a worker. It will cost about 4.5k for the setup + wages for one of the guys I know to fly the thing. For the 4.5k I can get side on pics from above, streamed directly to a mac/pc screen in 1080i 60FPS in the car with a latency of just 24ms (avg). That is huge! Certain tracks where you have a head on view and are restricted to actualy being side on 2f out it is a gold mine.

Megarain is right, the tech is all there now and although expensive, it is a great investment IMO.

You may be seeing another drone shortly...
Naffman

As long as you're not endangering the horses than I have no problem with it.

Good luck and tell us how you get on :)
invisiblelayer

Wonder when the first drone war will take place when some track boys take exception :lol:

Plenty of tracks have housing and farms adjecrent to tracks, my grandad did at Uttoxeter so it's finding someone willing if you don't want to be parked up outside. Trouble with drones though is all the scaremongering recently, people will automatically assume it's dodgy as hell even though it isn't. Good luck to them I say because probably still years away before 5G kicks in, you'd like to think you'd have close to live pics then
Naffman

Problem is even if they do have live pics then they still don't get the aerial or side on views that are much better than the angle you get watching it on tv.
ShaunWhite

Balmus wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 pm
Each and everyone of them has been super anal about what I want to use them for
Presumably because it's illegal to fly them over someone else's land without permission. They'll give the clay pigeon shooting people something else to have a pop at I guess.

But isn't all this old news? I remember about 20yrs ago attaching an RF camera to a 100inch glider I had. Launched by a small fold away electric motor prop. In reasonable weather you could keep it up there for hours, all whisper quite and no battery life issues. You could get it so high it was just a spec. People were usually more interested than hateful too as it was unobtrusive. Back then the pics were 320 x 200 B&W so with new tech it would have been great. Can anyone explain why radio controlled aircraft are now called 'drones' .... Or is it so they sound cool and cost 10x what they should ?
bennyboy351

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:21 pm
Balmus wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 pm
Each and everyone of them has been super anal about what I want to use them for
Presumably because it's illegal to fly them over someone else's land without permission. They'll give the clay pigeon shooting people something else to have a pop at I guess.

But isn't all this old news? I remember about 20yrs ago attaching an RF camera to a 100inch glider I had. Launched by a small fold away electric motor prop. In reasonable weather you could keep it up there for hours, all whisper quite and no battery life issues. You could get it so high it was just a spec. People were usually more interested than hateful too as it was unobtrusive. Back then the pics were 320 x 200 B&W so with new tech it would have been great. Can anyone explain why radio controlled aircraft are now called 'drones' .... Or is it so they sound cool and cost 10x what they should ?
I reckon Drones are called Drones, because - like the Male Bee of the same name - they are pretty useless in general! LOL :-)

Return to “General discussion”