Drones for faster / better views

A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

Balmus wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 pm
Each and everyone of them has been super anal about what I want to use them for
Presumably because it's illegal to fly them over someone else's land without permission. They'll give the clay pigeon shooting people something else to have a pop at I guess.

But isn't all this old news? I remember about 20yrs ago attaching an RF camera to a 100inch glider I had. Launched by a small fold away electric motor prop. In reasonable weather you could keep it up there for hours, all whisper quite and no battery life issues. You could get it so high it was just a spec. People were usually more interested than hateful too as it was unobtrusive. Back then the pics were 320 x 200 B&W so with new tech it would have been great. Can anyone explain why radio controlled aircraft are now called 'drones' .... Or is it so they sound cool and cost 10x what they should ?
bennyboy351

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:21 pm
Balmus wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 pm
Each and everyone of them has been super anal about what I want to use them for
Presumably because it's illegal to fly them over someone else's land without permission. They'll give the clay pigeon shooting people something else to have a pop at I guess.

But isn't all this old news? I remember about 20yrs ago attaching an RF camera to a 100inch glider I had. Launched by a small fold away electric motor prop. In reasonable weather you could keep it up there for hours, all whisper quite and no battery life issues. You could get it so high it was just a spec. People were usually more interested than hateful too as it was unobtrusive. Back then the pics were 320 x 200 B&W so with new tech it would have been great. Can anyone explain why radio controlled aircraft are now called 'drones' .... Or is it so they sound cool and cost 10x what they should ?
I reckon Drones are called Drones, because - like the Male Bee of the same name - they are pretty useless in general! LOL :-)

Return to “General discussion”