MS Office licences

A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

If anyone is thinking of upgrading Office or buying additional licences, it might be better to do it sooner rather than later.

It's getting increasingly difficult to buy perpetual licences, instead they're forcing users into subscription software ie Office 365 (presumably named '365' as you pay for it 365 times a year and the same again next year).

MS seem to have twigged that a business model based on updates is doomed. PCs and software do what 99% of people need them to do, there's no longer any incentive for most users to upgrade regularly....I'm sure most of us are using Office licences we bought years ago. So unless you feel like paying for Office over and over and over again for the rest of your days, it might be a good idea to snap up a copy with a perpetual licence. Office 2019 will be the last version that's available without subscription, but even now that only seems to be available in regions where Office 365 isn't available, and that's not many.

You can still get keys from the key only vendors for most versions, but for anyone who prefers to deal directly with MS, the clock is ticking.
BetScalper

I’m still using Office 2003 Professional. Does what it says on the tin. So I won’t be upgrading. :)
sa7med

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:54 am
If anyone is thinking of upgrading Office or buying additional licences, it might be better to do it sooner rather than later.

It's getting increasingly difficult to buy perpetual licences, instead they're forcing users into subscription software ie Office 365 (presumably named '365' as you pay for it 365 times a year and the same again next year).

MS seem to have twigged that a business model based on updates is doomed. PCs and software do what 99% of people need them to do, there's no longer any incentive for most users to upgrade regularly....I'm sure most of us are using Office licences we bought years ago. So unless you feel like paying for Office over and over and over again for the rest of your days, it might be a good idea to snap up a copy with a perpetual licence. Office 2019 will be the last version that's available without subscription, but even now that only seems to be available in regions where Office 365 isn't available, and that's not many.

You can still get keys from the key only vendors for most versions, but for anyone who prefers to deal directly with MS, the clock is ticking.
I recently bought a 365 subscription on ebay for 3 pounds. It's one of those organizational licenses and allows for excel to be installed on 4 devices, or 5 i cant remember. It also comes with terabytes of cloud space but I don't use it as the administrator of the license would have access to it. I also make sure im not signed in to excel, just in case. It's supposed to be a lifetime subscription (though that has yet to be tested)
Derek27

I didn't know you could purchase a standalone version of Office, I'm paying monthly subs for Office 365.
spreadbetting

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 am
I didn't know you could purchase a standalone version of Office, I'm paying monthly subs for Office 365.
Jebus, I only found out they'd gone all cloud based and subscription recently. I'm still using Office 2010, probably have a copy of Lotus 1-2-3 if I looked hard :oops:
PDC

This is a good (short) recent video kind of about this topic:

Getting Windows on the BLACK MARKET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvwjq3Zi3wE
Derek27

I still have a copy of Office 2000 on CDROM. Putting aside the fact that I no longer have a working DVD in any of my computers, the only thing that really forced me to upgrade is that Outlook 2000 doesn't work from Microsoft Vista upwards. They've also got rid of the Active X calendar control so I've had to re-write a lot of my Access code.

Return to “General discussion”