Trading Diet — what do you consume?

A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

eightbo wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:36 pm
Shaun your consumption habits aren't relevant as you don't trade manually.
Just kidding. Maybe you do trade manually...
:D You're right. I need to stay far more alert than that, hitting the button could launch 1000 trades instead of 1. :shock:
I do some manual, but just on the long term stuff
eightbo

Quick update. Figured out why I was getting so tired: Too much decision-making due to constantly evaluating market activity.

Before: Rock up to market and wing it High concentration for long periods Heavy overall cognitive load  Image <2 hours
Revised: Narrow down what I'm looking for Mostly low concentration, short burts of high focus Reduced load Image ~5 hours+

And defo think my protein powder (gainer; whole milk) is an energy sapper so never take that until finished trading for the day now.
ruthlessimon

eightbo wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:55 pm
Before: Rock up to market and wing it High concentration for long periods Heavy overall cognitive load  Image <2 hours
Revised: Narrow down what I'm looking for Mostly low concentration, short burts of high focus Reduced load Image ~5 hours+
Less stress, less tired, more profit - what's not to like :)

"Rock up to market and wing it" <- that mentality is what gives people like Peter an edge
eightbo

Too soon to compare profit
Trader Pat

eightbo wrote:
And defo think my protein powder (gainer; whole milk) is an energy sapper so never take that until finished trading for the day now.
I remember that stuff, hope nobody gets stuck in a lift with you :)
trader44

Sainsbury's chicken jalfrezi curry ans a glass of milk :D
wearthefoxhat

Just watched this You-Tube Video. (42 minutes long) Better Brain Health (you are what you eat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpbfOJ4bJU

I would say there's a correlation to what you start the day with and what you eat during trading.

Essentially, go for a more protein based breakfast over a carbed filled one. It will more likely help you make better decisions. less risky over more risky. (More tolerant to a loss than maybe going on tilt)

Just another piece in the trading jigsaw.
STARBUCK62

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:46 am
Just watched this You-Tube Video. (42 minutes long) Better Brain Health (you are what you eat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpbfOJ4bJU

I would say there's a correlation to what you start the day with and what you eat during trading.

Essentially, go for a more protein-based breakfast over a carbed filled one. It will more likely help you make better decisions. less risky over riskier. (More tolerant to a loss than maybe going on tilt)

Just another piece in the trading jigsaw.
I have watched this before, it is very good, I have been a very healthy eater for over 30 years, weigh between 8st 7 and 8st 11, walk every day and have a 15 minute cold shower every day ( Wim Hof Method), it has been said on many occasions that I look between 15 and twenty years younger than my actual age, so yes diet and good living is paramount to overall well being.
NickH

Anyone have an electric table which you can increase in height and a treadmill under it for some walking during the trading? Thinking about that one to ensure enough standing and walking during the day, besides the gym sessions. I think it would really benefit the health part.
Tuco

My office 'chair' is actually a fit ball (aka swiss ball) :)

Lean back, roll it forward and do an ab workout.

Kneel on it whilst watching the screens/TV, do an ab workout.

Simply lift and hold your feet up, do an ab workout.

etc...
eightbo

NickH wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:22 pm
Anyone have an electric table which you can increase in height and a treadmill under it for some walking during the trading? Thinking about that one to ensure enough standing and walking during the day, besides the gym sessions. I think it would really benefit the health part.
lol you sound like you're trolling with the treadmill UNDER the desk part, but lots of day traders use "elevator desks" for health reasons to get a mix of sitting/standing during the day and I would say defo get one if that's something you fancy.

Exercise outdoors amidst fresh air and nature surroundings have been shown to positively impact mood vs. just running on treadmill indoors (altho I do resistance stuff indoors too) so worth factoring in if you like to run.

Some time has passed since I put this thread up so some notes from the gap:
I've found a multi-vit tablet which contains guarana which helps extend a session once I feel fatigue coming on as i'm not drinking coffee. My friend here had all kinds of yerba mate tea here which I experimented with too but found whilst it definitely woke me up I found my heart rate was too high and it became counterproductive.

tried a veggie diet as well at some point although admittedly only stuck to it for a couple weeks, found it had way too much fibre and needed to drink sooooooo much water to offset it otherwise got headaches. Ended up concluding that my typical, "roughly healthy" diet (whole grains, some fruit/veg, a multi-vit and sometimes i'll eat junk food, and loads of h2o each day) works well enough for trading and that awareness of what state you're in is far, far more important than extending the good states so I focus on that now.

Still find it tough to trade many hours and not get fatigued so I'm on a biphasic sleeping pattern and that works best for me allowing to trade any combo of morning/evening/afternoon as I see fit. Still got a few diets yet to try and I look forward to doing that when the opportunity comes but no incentive to do so atm as daily routine is working for me right now.
eightbo

eightbo wrote:
Oh & this what I considered a negative for my trading day is now a positive as I use it to drain my energy before afternoon nap so no problems getting to sleep, works a charm
wearthefoxhat

eightbo wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:34 pm
NickH wrote:
lol you sound like you're trolling with the treadmill UNDER the desk part, but lots of day traders use "elevator desks" for health reasons to get a mix of sitting/standing during the day and I would say defo get one if that's something you fancy.

Exercise outdoors amidst fresh air and nature surroundings have been shown to positively impact mood vs. just running on treadmill indoors (altho I do resistance stuff indoors too) so worth factoring in if you like to run.

I've found a multi-vit tablet which contains guarana which helps extend a session once I feel fatigue coming on as i'm not drinking coffee. My friend here had all kinds of yerba mate tea here which I experimented with too but found whilst it definitely woke me up I found my heart rate was too high and it became counterproductive.

tried a veggie diet as well at some point although admittedly only stuck to it for a couple weeks, found it had way too much fibre and needed to drink sooooooo much water to offset it otherwise got headaches. Ended up concluding that my typical, "roughly healthy" diet (whole grains, some fruit/veg, a multi-vit and sometimes i'll eat junk food, and loads of h2o each day) works well enough for trading and that awareness of what state you're in is far, far more important than extending the good states so I focus on that now.

Still find it tough to trade many hours and not get fatigued so I'm on a biphasic sleeping pattern and that works best for me allowing to trade any combo of morning/evening/afternoon as I see fit. Still got a few diets yet to try and I look forward to doing that when the opportunity comes but no incentive to do so atm as daily routine is working for me right now.

Have recently trialled; Ashwagandha (Root capsules) one-a-day. £14.99 for 120, 4 months supply (although it says 2) (Amazon)

capsules.jpg

I was looking at a CBT solution originally, but after doing some R&D, and taking them, I recommend them 100%.

Alert/Fresh, no fatigue,
Sleep well
Helps with anxiety/stress and has a multitude of extra benefits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazyskier

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:10 pm
eightbo wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:34 pm
NickH wrote:

Have recently trialled; Ashwagandha (Root capsules) one-a-day. £14.99 for 120, 4 months supply (although it says 2) (Amazon)

capsules.jpg

I was looking at a CBT solution originally, but after doing some R&D, and taking them, I recommend them 100%.

Alert/Fresh, no fatigue,
Sleep well
Helps with anxiety/stress and has a multitude of extra benefits.
Thanks Fox. I think I'd like to try these instead of my daily cod liver oil / multi vitamin pills.

Just ordered a couple of tubs (to get the extra free postage above £20).

CS
eightbo

yeah haven't heard of it before will look into it, thank you for sharing

Return to “General discussion”