Confused as to why I lost a huge % of my bank

A place to discuss anything.
rbb1986

Hi guys,
Please see attached.
My bank was only 160, but after this race it was reduced to 90. I have traded in the same way for a long time, really not sure why this time was any different,

The only thing I can think is because of my self imposed loss limits.

I was watching the race and repeatedly pressed to hedge the loss, but it made no diference. Incredibly frustrating.

Any ideas?
Rob
Last edited by rbb1986 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas

There was nothing attached to your post but I suspect the reason is to do with your repeated clicking if you were not allowing for the in-play delay
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13077
eightbo

Assuming your talking about a loss limit set in the Player Protection section of Betfair,

If your green attempt was a lay, you can compare hedge stake * (price - 1) with your remaining loss limit amount (Or just hedge stake for backing). If it's greater, then it's possible the hedge was prevented.

I'd recommend switching to a deposit limit rather than loss limit if you think this might be hindering you.
ShaunWhite

rbb1986 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:43 pm
repeatedly pressed to hedge the loss, but it made no diference. Incredibly frustrating.
Any ideas?
Judging by the title of this thread, maybe your keyboard is a bit dodgy?
MemphisFlash

maybe you didnt realise, no matter how good a strategy is, eventually you will lose one race!!!
rbb1986

Apologies for the terrible title lol. I did try to amend this just after submitting but can't see how. - EDIT - title fixed :-)

Here's the log which was meant to be attached originally.
30.09 greening errors.JPG
I have the auto safety servant on, which from the looks of the log did try to hedge the market a few seconds in but for some reason all of the lays are for tiny amounts...
Then when I've been clicking to manually hedge the same things happening.
E.g 'Greened up Albert Finney by laying 0.37 at 1.9' - this should've been £75.37, not £0.37.

I do have a loss limit, but it never normally affects markets that I'm trying to hedge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eightbo

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:42 am
Judging by the title of this thread, maybe your keyboard is a bit dodgy?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dallas

rbb1986 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 am
Apologies for the terrible title lol. I did try to amend this just after submitting but can't see how. - EDIT - title fixed :-)

I have the auto safety servant on, which from the looks of the log did try to hedge the market a few seconds in but for some reason all of the lays are for tiny amounts...
E.g 'Greened up Albert Finney by laying 0.37 at 1.9' - this should've been £75.37, not £0.37.

I do have a loss limit, but it never normally affects markets that I'm trying to hedge.
What bets were actually matched in that market and on which runner?

The log is showing the larger bet/s of £75 were rejected on one runner, and all the later greening for smaller amounts was being done on another?
ShaunWhite

Obv it's a bit late to say this now but with a bank of £160, £75 is one a hell of a stake. :shock:
I know trading is about using relatively large stake amounts but in terms of a maximum loss, what was the loss limit you had in mind?

With a bank of £160 I'd be thinking about a max loss iro £1.50. Backing Counting sheep @ 3.6 with £75, means that at 3.7... you're over exposed and showing a £2 loss. Just 2 ticks before max loss doesn't give you much wiggle room.

btw Did you intend to take the trade in-play?
rbb1986

Dallas wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:15 pm
rbb1986 wrote:

The log is showing the larger bet/s of £75 were rejected on one runner, and all the later greening for smaller amounts was being done on another?

Please see attached screenshot of spreadsheet with settled bets from Betfair (and screenshot 2 of bf site itself).

The top 4 lines are trades which were done and dusted, so profited 1 tick on each.
Then entered the market again at 20:19, still before event had gone in play.

So at the time of going in play, I just had the BACK of 75 on Counting Sheep outstanding.
So going in play, the auto safety servant would normally close out the market whether profit or loss.
The AS bets are seen in the log previously posted, but for some reason are

a) LAY bets on the wrong horse, and
B) only for pence, rather than the correct stake.

My manual attempts to hedge which were tried after the Safety servant bets, have also been trying to lay the wrong horse...

I could be missing something here... I've used BA for years, love the program, but it does genuinely look like this has been an error in processing the attempts to hedge.
The safety servant usually hedges the market very efficiently. And even that has processed it's bets as lays of Albert Finney, not Counting Sheep.

The line in the log regarding 'WARNING : REFRESH RATE etc' - I've never seen before, and seems a coincidence that it's appeared in this market when the program has failed to close the position.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

rbb1986 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:23 pm
Dallas wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:15 pm
rbb1986 wrote:

Please see attached screenshot of spreadsheet with settled bets from Betfair (and screenshot 2 of bf site itself).

The top 4 lines are trades which were done and dusted, so profited 1 tick on each.
Then entered the market again at 20:19, still before event had gone in play.

So at the time of going in play, I just had the BACK of 75 on Counting Sheep outstanding.
So going in play, the auto safety servant would normally close out the market whether profit or loss.
The AS bets are seen in the log previously posted, but for some reason are

a) LAY bets on the wrong horse, and
B) only for pence, rather than the correct stake.

My manual attempts to hedge which were tried after the Safety servant bets, have also been trying to lay the wrong horse...

I could be missing something here... I've used BA for years, love the program, but it does genuinely look like this has been an error in processing the attempts to hedge.
The safety servant usually hedges the market very efficiently. And even that has processed it's bets as lays of Albert Finney, not Counting Sheep.

The line in the log regarding 'WARNING : REFRESH RATE etc' - I've never seen before, and seems a coincidence that it's appeared in this market when the program has failed to close the position.
Piecing this together It looks like the problem was with the Back bet on counting sheet (bet ID ending 770) placed at 20:19:49
It has begun to get matched just as it was about to be killed, this and the refresh rate has resulted in the incorrect status for the bet being returned from Betfair - so the bet was matched but this info couldn't be retrieved by Bet Angel.
As far as BA was concerned this bet didn't exist so there was nothing to green up on that selection, end result was a 'straight' bet of £75 on counting sheep

All the other bets on Albert Finney first by the servant then your manual green up just look like the price has kept moving, because the bets are for <£2 the in-play delay is doubled so it's taking 2 secs for these bets to hit that market after being submitted.

I would put it down to very bad luck (which can happen time to time) in that your bet just got/started to be matched at Betfair as an attempt to kill it was done and this has confused its status.

The bets on Albert Finney have nothing to do with that and just look like you were trying to spread the last of the p/l on that runner evenly

Return to “General discussion”