Betfair's relationship with traders

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

stueytrader wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:43 am
Just noticed, is this a recent addition? A whole section just called 'scalping'.

Linked by a front exchange page link to their education sections too. Funny how they have focused on scalping as a trading format - not any other forms or approaches to trading. There's no 'swing trading' section for example. Guess they thought that a little tricky to advertise ;)

https://betting.betfair.com/how-to-use- ... 819-6.html
One-tick scalping usually involves higher stakes, which in turn may encourage liquidity. Perhaps that's the angle?
PDC

Euler wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:00 pm
Not sure, but I know Betfair are looking to invest more money into the exchange going forward than in the past. New TV campaign on the way!
I heard they were doubling the budget from £1 to £2 :o
stueytrader

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:43 pm
stueytrader wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:43 am
Just noticed, is this a recent addition? A whole section just called 'scalping'.

Linked by a front exchange page link to their education sections too. Funny how they have focused on scalping as a trading format - not any other forms or approaches to trading. There's no 'swing trading' section for example. Guess they thought that a little tricky to advertise ;)

https://betting.betfair.com/how-to-use- ... 819-6.html
One-tick scalping usually involves higher stakes, which in turn may encourage liquidity. Perhaps that's the angle?
Could be right Derek - adding larger trades into the market benefits many of course.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Scalping is the first thing that's pushed on newbies because it looks easy. All you have to do is make 2 offers and it's hello to the high-life alledgedly. :roll: It's an easier sell than telling people they need to be Mystic Meg and guess where the market will be in 30s time. I think it's why you get so many new people on here that say "I'm learning to scalp but the markets keep moving around instead of staying nice and still like they did in the training pack/ebook/yt vid etc." Yep, welcome to the real world.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Scalping is the first thing that's pushed on newbies because it looks easy. All you have to do is make 2 offers and it's hello to the high-life alledgedly. :roll: It's an easier sell than telling people they need to be Mystic Meg and guess where the market will be in 30s time. I think it's why you get so many new people on here that say "I'm learning to scalp but the markets keep moving around instead of staying nice and still like they did in the training pack/ebook/yt vid etc." Yep, welcome to the real world.
A possible reason why scalping is so popular with newbies is that, not only is it easier to understand than swing trading, but they may be reading outdated internet articles. There was once a time when it was easy, or at least a lot easier than it is now.
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:53 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
A possible reason why scalping is so popular with newbies is that, not only is it easier to understand than swing trading, but they may be reading outdated internet articles. There was once a time when it was easy, or at least a lot easier than it is now.
Probably because there's a very popular course out there that keeps pushing scalping as the ultimate newbie friendly strategy, its main selling point is a short clip of someone performing an incredible feat of successfully scalping 3 races in a row. First they say that vendors like Bet Angel produce endless amounts of useless videos as a marketing ploy, and then they insist on everyone using Bet Angel to scalp. I'd imagine a lot of those people end up coming here asking how come scalping doesn't work as advertised.
Euler

Most of the sell side present people with simple solutions, while getting a few digs into people that do it for real. It makes for a nice sales pitch. I'm your friend here is a simple to follow solution that will make you as good a trader as me. Which ultimately isn't that difficult if you have never traded to any great ability.

Most of us, especially on this forum, realise the solution is a little harder, but ultimately worthwhile. But we are in a minority I reckon!!
stueytrader

Notice BF now have a few celeb faces promoting the exchange specifically now - including Graeme Swann on how to trade cricket.

Sure he knows a lot about the game, but trading.....? :)

Mind you the other one is (actor) Clive Owen :lol:
stueytrader

Just actually watched a bit of the video with Mr Swann.

Starts with the premise that he is having the exchange explained to him, though moves to him trading it later on as the point.

All good I suppose in terms of promotion at least...
ShaunWhite

stueytrader wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:08 am
Notice BF now have a few celeb faces promoting the exchange specifically now - including Graeme Swann on how to trade cricket.

Sure he knows a lot about the game, but trading.....? :)

Mind you the other one is (actor) Clive Owen :lol:
TV ads aren't real life stuey. Davina doesn't get her shiny barnet by using Head & Shoulders shampoo and Harvey Keitel doesn't sell insurance.
stueytrader

:) Shaun

Yeh, I do get that in general ads. The Clive Owen ones are glossy generalist ads of course.

The Swann one is slightly different though, as it's implying his 'expertise' of course to some degree - until you actually watch it and realise he is shown with no trading expertise explicitly.

What do people think of these ads/campaigns? Likely to be productive, or not?
stueytrader

I find the Clive Owen ones a little too abstract in examples - even as a trader some of it is confusing to watch, lol
Kai

stueytrader wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:32 am
What do people think of these ads/campaigns? Likely to be productive, or not?
People discussed it a bit in this thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19419
stueytrader

Thanks Kai - previous points seem mostly about strategy in general with creating ads.

I still think the content is a little odd - queues waiting at a counter and betting on them moving, why not just actually use a sport example instead?
Kai

stueytrader wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:13 pm
Thanks Kai - previous points seem mostly about strategy in general with creating ads.

I still think the content is a little odd - queues waiting at a counter and betting on them moving, why not just actually use a sport example instead?
I've not seen that one so can't really comment, please link it if you see it. Idk who Graeme Swann is.

Return to “General discussion”