BBC THREE - Can you beat the bookies

A place to discuss anything.
Euler

I would have missed this but saw Mark Iverson mention it this morning so had a watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... he-bookies
ShaunWhite

...and was it worth watching?
BBC Three doesn't fill me with much confidence that'll be anything we don't already know.
spreadbetting

Not every program has to be educational , Shaun.
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:56 pm
BBC Three doesn't fill me with much confidence that'll be anything we don't already know.
It was worth watching from the sense that you realise why people don't understand trading or how to bet for a living (for real).

The courtsider was curious. Not sure why you would go on BBC and show you face then jet off to Florida for a minor tournament to relay information for the episode. Then use bet365 for the betting, but I guess that was less timely than the competitive landscape of Betfair. But the account was limited the next day.

The data analysis company has lost £200k according to companies house so far. But there are so many really good examples of that type of company, I've no idea how they ended up at their doorstep.

The random football punting at the end with no sensible staking process more or less summed up 99% of the worlds attitude to betting. Bet to win, rather than to find value and with a careful crafted staking plan that takes into account your edge. Nobody talked about value or edge.

I watch these things and then wonder why people can't work out if you put it a bit of effort you can carve out an edge. Curiously betting exchanges were not mentioned.

Closing summary of the episode.... don't bet, only the bookies win.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:56 pm
You'd be amazed by the number of people I've met who asked me, "how do you place a bet?" Give them a pen and betting slip and they really wouldn't have a clue what to write on it!!

What frustrates me about inaccurate TV programmes is that people who don't have the aptitude to fill in a betting slip without help are bound to believe whatever they see on TV.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:20 pm
It was worth watching from the sense ...
Thanks for the full Radio Times write-up :)
Sounds pretty much what I thought, people who don't know the industry making a program about someone who doesn't know the industry, talking to people who's motive for being involved is questionable.

Cheers for the heads up though, these things can have their moments but maybe not in this case by the sounds of it.
ShaunWhite

spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:04 pm
Not every program has to be educational , Shaun.
:) Yep I agree, and my planner is full of some very dubious telly I'm not proud of. But I don't usually watch things just because it's got the word 'bookie' in the title so I just wondered if it was any good, or if it was one of those 'well that's and hour I'll never get back' things. That was all really. I'll probably skip it and get on with cataloging all the verdicts from my Judge Judy collection hidden in boxes that look like worthy books. :oops:
invisiblelayer

Watched it last night, looks like he just got in touch with those featured on starsports YouTube vids mainly. Tennis man rants about Bookies yet most of his income will be raping fellow punters on Betfair, just like fastest fingers laying fallers at the races, all playing with time advantages
wearthefoxhat

Will always watch these types of programmes.

The one I remember for realism was the late Jonathan Rendall's -The Gambler on Channel 4. 6th December 2000. (3 Episodes @ 50 minutes each)

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-gambler
Kai

Thanks for posting but sounds like typical lazy journalism and beating up the same old social stigmas.
weemac

I watched it. The message was that almost all punters are clueless, some are out of control and helpless to alter their habits, everyone is being ripped off by those 'orrible bookies, and only very wealthy or dubious operations like starlizard or courtsiders have a chance. The host said at one point: "Ordinary people can't win." When you mix truth with lies like that in broad sweeping statements, people will tend to believe everything you say.

The guy was wandering around betting shops and sitting alone in pubs or in his kitchen betting nonsensically and then watching results come in on his phone or tablet, usually head in hands in horror or disbelief, but at no point did he seem aware that he could have given himself a slightly better chance of winning, or at least losing less, by using a betting exchange or by shopping around for best price or trying arbing or utilising statistics or by modelling markets or by trading price movements. No, it was just the old "It can't be done because I'm an idiot" chestnut.

I wonder if any broadcaster will ever cover the subject properly. I really do doubt it.
brimson25

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:45 am
Will always watch these types of programmes.

The one I remember for realism was the late Jonathan Rendall's -The Gambler on Channel 4. 6th December 2000. (3 Episodes @ 50 minutes each)

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-gambler
Poor bloke, no longer with us.
PeterLe

Interesting to watch
Why on earth would they use Bet365 and not betfair ?
Are bet365 typically that little bit slower to suspend the market?
Interested in anyone who has a view or experience
Thanks
Regards
Peter
spreadbetting

Yep I found it quite interesting to watch too , reckon they used 365 because they were up against the umpire rather than the hundreds of other courtsiders playing Betfair. Plus the smaller games aren't really that active on Betfair. If you can get enough supply of accounts you'd make more thru the bookies than Betfair as you avoid pc and with a pretty much 100% strike rate those lessened odds aren't a big deal.
PeterLe

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:44 am
Yep I found it quite interesting to watch too , reckon they used 365 because they were up against the umpire rather than the hundreds of other courtsiders playing Betfair. Plus the smaller games aren't really that active on Betfair. If you can get enough supply of accounts you'd make more thru the bookies than Betfair as you avoid pc and with a pretty much 100% strike rate those lessened odds aren't a big deal.
Thanks I see. They didn't seem to be short of student accounts! :D
Bet Denise Coates wont be too worried :D

Return to “General discussion”