How do you invest the money you make?

A place to discuss anything.
firlandsfarm

arbitrage16 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:24 pm
I'd love to learn more about that way of thinking. Could you direct me to some sources you've used to further your understanding of this approach please?
I suggest you ask Messers Google and Bing.
arbitrage16

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:11 pm
arbitrage16 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:24 pm
I'd love to learn more about that way of thinking. Could you direct me to some sources you've used to further your understanding of this approach please?
I suggest you ask Messers Google and Bing.
But I'm asking you, clearly. I can provide names and references - Danny Kahnemann for one - who says that the active investing model is nonsense. I'd like you to provide the same for your 'school' of thinking.

If you're unable to do that, it's clear to all that you're talking the same kind of nonsense.
firlandsfarm

arbitrage16 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:28 am
The current market situation is exactly the example that was required to show that the posters on the other side of the argument are wrong. And not just kind of wrong, but 100% wrong and costing themselves significant chunks of money as a result.

The thinking proposed in the quotes highlighted here is at least 15 years out of date. Those investors will still have a decent pot for their retirement, but it is nothing like what they could have earned if they had availed themselves of the data on investment strategy. Their under-performance should serve as a cautionary tale to the rest of us.
Well I guess the 100%wrongers will have to bow to the superior knowledge of the Alwaysrighters and always be poorer than them ... there is no way I could compete with such a font of 'rightness'. I'm envious that you are so right you are able to predict that your system will win over a 15 year out of date approach. And I'm happy you have your views I'm sure they help you to feel warm and comfortable at night.
firlandsfarm

arbitrage16 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:18 pm
If you're unable to do that, it's clear to all that you're talking the same kind of nonsense.
:lol: :lol: :lol: so you deem a reluctance to waste time on you as a 'victory'. There's nothing more praiseworthy than self congratulation!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I refer you to the answer I gave a few posts ago.
arbitrage16

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:29 pm
arbitrage16 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:18 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: so you deem a reluctance to waste time on you as a 'victory'. There's nothing more praiseworthy than self congratulation!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I refer you to the answer I gave a few posts ago.
Ok, so still no sources then. That's telling. And now you're getting personal - the penultimate refuge of the scoundrel.

And I'll refer you to your previous post, which ended "Clearly we are of differing minds so let's just leave it at that. Bye." And something similar you said to PDC - but you can't leave it alone.

That's because you realise the way you've been doing it your whole life has been wrong, and that's hard to deal with. I'm guessing you're 60+? So knowing that if you actually went into the literature - I recommend Smarter Investing by Tim Hale or Thinking Fast and Slow by Danny Kahnemann amongst many, many others - you'd find out that, like so many others, you've been punked by the financial services indusry into believing that active investing is the way to do it.

They've been sucking you dry for years mate, and you didn't even realise it.
firlandsfarm

arbitrage16 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:37 pm
And I'll refer you to your previous post, which ended "Clearly we are of differing minds so let's just leave it at that. Bye." And something similar you said to PDC - but you can't leave it alone.

That's because you realise the way you've been doing it your whole life has been wrong, and that's hard to deal with. I'm guessing you're 60+? So knowing that if you actually went into the literature - I recommend Smarter Investing by Tim Hale or Thinking Fast and Slow by Danny Kahnemann amongst many, many others - you'd find out that, like so many others, you've been punked by the financial services indusry into believing that active investing is the way to do it.

They've been sucking you dry for years mate, and you didn't even realise it.
I don't see anything personal unless you are admitting the cap fits!
You raised the issue again, not me ... twisted scenarios don't win debates! And I thought I was being polite in correcting you rather than ignore your ramblings.
You have demonstrated your degree of being wrong by not understanding the simple concept I proposed.
I'm certainly not your mate but if you keep looking you may find one one day. I wish you luck, you will need it.
There is one favour I would ask of you, could you put up more challenging debate, this is getting boring.
Kai

Speaking of quality forum content, come on guys, could you please take the pissing contest somewhere more private?

It's been a decent thread to follow so far, gained some good insight personally and I'm sure others have as well, it would be a shame if it was ruined with personal insults.
arbitrage16

Kai wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:34 pm
Speaking of quality forum content, come on guys, could you please take the pissing contest somewhere more private?

It's been a decent thread to follow so far, gained some good insight personally and I'm sure others have as well, it would be a shame if it was ruined with personal insults.
With respect, no, as that's not appropriate at this moment. The argument we are having is one that has been playing out for the last 30+ years in the financial services space, and me making an example of this numptie is a useful exercise in demonstrating to others what the issue is.

The debate - active versus passive investing - has been won by the latter camp - it is not possible to consistently outperform the market, so taking a passive approach that tracks the performance of an index allows one to capture the returns of the market. However, the active camp would lose unfathomable $$$ in fees if they were ever to admit to the common investor that they can't make them any more money than a low cost index fund, hence why the debate rages on for some.

You'll notice the other side of the argument, certainly on this forum, has been very light on references and high on low-quality put downs. That should be telling for anyone reading between the lines.
firlandsfarm

Kai wrote:

Nice try Kai but as you can see 'he' will never stop but thanks for trying. All I can say is you won't get anymore from me going forward. I tried to bring it to an end weeks ago but 'they' had to reopen it. Anyway my boredom threshold has been reached.
manrobertkir

I still hold the money and do not withdraw it from Betfair yet unnecessarily
arbitrage16

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:33 am
Kai wrote:

Nice try Kai but as you can see 'he' will never stop but thanks for trying. All I can say is you won't get anymore from me going forward. I tried to bring it to an end weeks ago but 'they' had to reopen it. Anyway my boredom threshold has been reached.
It was re-opened because in the very moment that you were suggesting that timing the markets was the right approach, the markets proved you entirely wrong, so as I've said, your example is a good one for others to learn from - you can't time the market.

If there has been anything good from this thread then you have to take a lot of credit for it - you are the perfect example of a cautionary tale, the guy who even in the face of overwhelming evidence - and still unable to provide any of his own - believes he is in the right.

Here is Daniel Kahneman - that's Mr Kahneman, who as a psychologist won the nobel prize in economics, think about that for a second - also confirming how and why you're wrong - https://youtu.be/hOm6rD4m4V0?t=88

When Kahneman cites 'individuals losing a ton of money' we now all know who he's referring to.
ShaunWhite

Berkshire Hathaway announce a record $50bn (£40bn) net first quarter loss, Reuters news agency reports.
LinusP

marksmeets302 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:09 pm
A very nice example of this was last Thursday: the stock market closed at a level that triggered the deleveraging. The futures were still open for another hour and there you saw massive selling.
With sentiment so extremely negative it could very well be that a short term bottom is very near, or we already saw one on Friday. Don't panic :-)
Good call but are we now at the top?

I am now 90% cash and have my finger on the trigger to go 100%, my only fear is that all this money printing is going to cause uncontrollable inflation, in my mind this is what is fuelling current prices.
sa7med

LinusP wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:59 pm
marksmeets302 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:09 pm
A very nice example of this was last Thursday: the stock market closed at a level that triggered the deleveraging. The futures were still open for another hour and there you saw massive selling.
With sentiment so extremely negative it could very well be that a short term bottom is very near, or we already saw one on Friday. Don't panic :-)
Good call but are we now at the top?

I am now 90% cash and have my finger on the trigger to go 100%, my only fear is that all this money printing is going to cause uncontrollable inflation, in my mind this is what is fuelling current prices.
Same. I bought some previous metals ETFs as a hedge against inflation but the rest is cash. May look into other commodoties.
megarain

Am 60% cash.

Portfolio recovered from crash. I can’t understand it.

Can’t help thinking u can own 5 or so stocks and forget

Long : Nvidia (rocket ship)
Tesla .. same
Microsoft
Shopify .. all star
Amazon .. same
Apple ..

Return to “General discussion”