Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
Bonnie

Atho55 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:19 pm
Not saying they have done a sparkling job but do you think Corbyn, Long-Bailey, Starmer, Abbot would have done any better?

I think population density has a part to play but you never hear it mentioned much... persons per km2
Where does that put Singapore?
Archery1969

Bonnie wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:57 pm
Atho55 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:19 pm
Not saying they have done a sparkling job but do you think Corbyn, Long-Bailey, Starmer, Abbot would have done any better?

I think population density has a part to play but you never hear it mentioned much... persons per km2
Where does that put Singapore?
Singapore is a totally different country and culture.

They have one of the best infrastructure and health care of any country in the world. There people are also very trusting of the government and will do what they say 100%.

One example would be:- The average UK internet download speed is 64mbps while in Singapore its 181mbps.

In a nutshell whatever Singapore does it normally does it very well.

I spent 12 years there, great people and country. Just dont drop litter as i did back in the 1990s, as it cost me a 24" truncheon across the back of my legs, policeman stood there until i got back to my feet and told me to pick up the litter and put it in my pocket. I couldnt walk properly for 2 weeks. But i havent dropped litter in any country since.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:56 pm
Just dont drop litter as i did back in the 1990s, as it cost me a 24" truncheon across the back of my legs, policeman stood there until i got back to my feet and told me to pick up the litter and put it in my pocket. I couldnt walk properly for 2 weeks. But i havent dropped litter in any country since.
That's what we need over here. :)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:13 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Just dont drop litter as i did back in the 1990s, as it cost me a 24" truncheon across the back of my legs, policeman stood there until i got back to my feet and told me to pick up the litter and put it in my pocket. I couldnt walk properly for 2 weeks. But i havent dropped litter in any country since.
I agree. :)

Think you get fined now, $300 to $1,000 for first time offenders and upto $5,000 if you get caught doing it again. :o

- Selling chewing gum is upto $100,000 fine or 2 years in prison
- Feeding pigeons is $500 fine
- Annoying somone wih a musical instrument is $1,000 fine
- Spitting in public is $1,000 fine
- Being naked at home with curtains open is $2,000 fine
- Forgetting to flush a public toilet is $150 fine
- Connecting to another persons WiFi without their permission is $10,000 fine
- Same sex relationship is 2 years in prison.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:21 pm
It's quite a serious issue. Most people, including me, can understand breaking the lockdown rules to get your end away.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Joke yes ... getting your leg-over is a good excuse but wanting to look after your family is not!!! Really? Well I guess that runs with the myth that a man's morals are in reverse correlation with the rigidity of his dick! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:40 am
Derek27 wrote:
It's quite a serious issue. Most people, including me, can understand breaking the lockdown rules to get your end away.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Joke yes ... getting your leg-over is a good excuse but wanting to look after your family is not!!! Really? Well I guess that runs with the myth that a man's morals are in reverse correlation with the rigidity of his dick! :lol: :lol: :lol:
He's been accused of making several trips and one to a beauty spot and his silence suggests guilt. If you're accused of this, that and everything, fair enough, just ignore it. But it's quite reasonable for somebody who couldn't attend a loved-ones wedding, funeral, last hour or their wife giving birth to demand an explanation from the very hypocrite who devised the rules.

Boris Johnson, talking through his arse as usual, said that Cummings acted responsibly, legally and with integrity!!

Does he even know the meaning of integrity? :lol: :lol:
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:40 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:40 am
Derek27 wrote:
He's been accused of making several trips and one to a beauty spot and his silence suggests guilt. If you're accused of this, that and everything, fair enough, just ignore it. But it's quite reasonable for somebody who couldn't attend a loved-ones wedding, funeral, last hour or their wife giving birth to demand an explanation from the very hypocrite who devised the rules.

Boris Johnson, talking through his arse as usual, said that Cummings acted responsibly, legally and with integrity!!

Does he even know the meaning of integrity? :lol: :lol:
well, you can have a voice in this: https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament- ... -be-sacked ;)
Bonnie

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:23 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:13 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
I agree. :)

Think you get fined now, $300 to $1,000 for first time offenders and upto $5,000 if you get caught doing it again. :o

- Selling chewing gum is upto $100,000 fine or 2 years in prison
- Feeding pigeons is $500 fine
- Annoying somone wih a musical instrument is $1,000 fine
- Spitting in public is $1,000 fine
- Being naked at home with curtains open is $2,000 fine
- Forgetting to flush a public toilet is $150 fine
- Connecting to another persons WiFi without their permission is $10,000 fine
- Same sex relationship is 2 years in prison.
Spent 48 hours there in 1974, had to get a short back and sides to leave the airport. With over 8000 people per sq km they've done a remarkable job to keep deaths down to the mid 20's out of 40k cases. Mind you I still won't be rushing back to live there anytime soon.
Derek27

I had no idea Singapore's so oppressive. Anyone could fall foul of one of those rules.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:07 pm
I had no idea Singapore's so oppressive. Anyone could fall foul of one of those rules.
Yep. But i found most people to be very friendly and helpful. Apart from that policeman. :lol: I wonder what would have happened if i had told him to fcuk off. :roll: Probably hanged the following Friday. :o
Emmson

No wonder this fumbling Rasputin is a man of the shadows.
greenmark

I think the media and opposition should drop the Cummings thing.
There have been people breaking the rules for far more trivival reasons and haven't lost their jobs.
Then again Dr Catherine Calderwood (Scotland's chief medical officer) resgined for visiting her "2nd home" in East Fife. Anyone who knows that area knows you'd be hard pushed to work out whether her Edinburgh or East Fife home was their primary residence. They live in Edinburgh for work and then head off 'home' to East Fife at the weekend.
But she was hung out to dry.
It really highlights how someone of Cummings' stature can survive when others can't.
Archery1969

The potential danger here is that it drags on, Boris is forced to sack him and then says, fcuk this, I'm off too. Then there would be a leadership contest at the worst time possible with the rest of the country on hold. Many millions are probably going to be losing their current furlowed jobs in the coming weeks, so i think there are more important things to be worry about.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:11 pm
The potential danger here is that it drags on, Boris is forced to sack him and then says, fcuk this, I'm off too. Then there would be a leadership contest at the worst time possible with the rest of the country on hold. Many millions are probably going to be losing their current furlowed jobs in the coming weeks, so i think there are more important things to be worry about.
I sort of get your point. But, surely, our government has an army of civil servants to inform/execute policy. Its the cabinet that sifts/drives the information from the civil service and decides what to do. And thats where Cummings and the like (Duncan Campell, for example) enter from stage left and have perhaps undue influence.
This whole episode does make "The Thick of It" look alarmingly realistic.
Derek27

jimibt wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:51 pm
well, you can have a voice in this: https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament- ... -be-sacked ;)
The petition to force bookies to accept bets from winning punters got, off memory, 176 signatures but I have a feeling this one will succeed. :D

Normally forcing parliament to go through the motions of a discussion is the equivalent to a cub scout badge, but this will have a much sharper edge.

Return to “General discussion”