Will gambling be BANNED!?

A place to discuss anything.
Edmo3003

Recently I've been seeing a ever-growing amount of articles in the mainstream media portraying gambling in a negative way. From MP's asking for tighter regulations (spending limits etc) to the good old sob story of people losing there entire life savings in an hour of madness.

Is anyone else worried the way this narrative seems to be going or am I getting paranoid?
Archery1969

Edmo3003 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:26 pm
Recently I've been seeing a ever-growing amount of articles in the mainstream media portraying gambling in a negative way. From MP's asking for tighter regulations (spending limits etc) to the good old sob story of people losing there entire life savings in an hour of madness.

Is anyone else worried the way this narrative seems to be going or am I getting paranoid?
Depends largely on which party is in power. I doubt the Tories will go for a ban but Labour may well do if they come to power in 5 years time.
Crazyskier

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:32 pm
Edmo3003 wrote:

Depends largely on which party is in power. I doubt the Tories will go for a ban but Labour may well do if they come to power in 5 years time.
God help us all should that be the case. White, middle-class men (named 'privileged, male, pale and stale' by the current Labour Lunatics) will very likely be forced out of England, just as we were British Rhodesia in the 70s. And look how that ended up!

No, if Labour get in, you won't be able to get a job in politics, the Police Service, Schools or Universities, or any other public body, even the BBC, unless you're a disabled black or, asian homosexual.

CS
invisiblelayer

:roll:
Trader Pat

invisiblelayer wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:20 pm
:roll:
Oh no! I'm in danger of being sucked into a brand new thread! :lol:
ANGELS15

Edmo3003 wrote:

You're not being paranoid. There do seem to be politions with dangerous ideas re the betting industry.

Do see the other current thread on the suggestions to implement changes to betting and gaming including (worryingly) abolishing in-play betting on sports.

Currently you would think the government has far bigger fish to fry. I cant't see them banning gambling altogether. It is too far entrenched in the culture of this country.

We should be more concerned about anything that impacts trading. The last thing we need is something like stakes being limited to ridiculously small amounts or some college kid sat behind a computer screen in an online bookies office deciding whether you can afford to bet, trade etc
mcgoo

distributed exchanges have been talked about before (e.g.https://www.augur.net/) and although it can't solve the problem ...it will be interesting to see if the distributed stuff gets legs to add an avenue
Carasad

This good old sob story of people losing their entire savings and houses you're talking about is because of this entity called ludomania. It's a psychiatric condition that represents the dependence on gambling, and these people simply physiological couldn't resist the impulses.

Return to “General discussion”