Today's Reading ...

A place to discuss anything.
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:51 pm
I'm still waiting for the Red Dwarf virtual reality technology where you can shag the girl of your dreams and it will feel like the real thing. :D
i refer you to my previous comment sir - :D
Atho55

You need to ask the bag lady in the shop out on a date.... sounds like she has a soft spot for you... and no, not the bog at the bottom of the garden
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
I'm still waiting for the Red Dwarf virtual reality technology where you can shag the girl of your dreams and it will feel like the real thing. :D
New definition of Plug and Play
Euler

I've been reading up on how gaming companies are going to create a multiverse so that sort of thing may become reality!
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
I am still waiting for that Holodeck technology from Star Trek. Extremely disappointed with the lack of technological progress on that front.
Derek27

jimibt wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:17 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:29 pm
jimibt wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:24 am
not totally related to trading per se, but as we all know, AI in trading is happening and MAY end up in BA at some point. here's a quick look at microsoft's revamped flight simulator using AI - pretty stunning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-53811956
That's a must-have for me if I can find the time to fly it. Haven't used my flight simulator for several years but I was last using FS2000! Looks okay from several thousand feet, albeit low-res and square repetitive farming fields but get down to lower altitude and you see the roof tops of houses are just painted on the ground. :)
yeah, the microsoft offering looks quite realistic, like the fact that they've linked *realtime* to google. future generations of this revision will undoubtedly allow you to *fly* into scenes as they are actually evolving (in real time)... amazing stuff.
They really have come a long way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27szyA9mZ8Q
Derek27

I've just found a video that goes through the MSFS evolution from 1.0 to 2020. Version 2.0 reminds me of the ZX Spectrum sim - the graphics don't work, I think they were using an OS call that draws triangles on the screen but got the coordinates wrong. :lol:

You can tell I've got the night off Aussie racing. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pd-4PouHM4
gazuty

This article https://quillette.com/2020/08/16/the-ch ... f-marxism/

helped me get a greater understanding of "critical thinking" developed from Marxism and where the progressives and leftists are trying to take society (ie to its destruction).

The section that I found most interesting is "VI. The Marxist endgame and democracy’s end "

You too can now easily formulate Marxist theory.
  • From the Marxist point of view, because modern Australia follows colonial Australia and colonial Australia destroyed the pre-existing indigineous society, modern Australia is a continuation of the oppression of that indigenous society and must be destroyed.
  • From the Marxist point of view, because the modern United States follows colonial United States and colonial United States destroyed the pre-existing indigineous society and was founded at a time of slavery and the person who wrote "we hold these truths to be self evident ... " owned slaves, modern United States is a continuation of the oppression of that indigenous society and descendants of slaves and must be destroyed.
  • In its place the Marxists will create .... [an even more barbarous society, with a ruling elite that opresses the rest of us and murders millions] a utopian paradise.
ShaunWhite

I was looking through the list of presentations and topics at last year's Mathsport International Conference (2019) http://www2.stat-athens.aueb.gr/~jbn/co ... entations/ There's links to most of the PDFs/slides used but sadly no videos of the presenters.

Lot's of interesting topics though (and some bizzarly obscure ones too), here's the list of abstracts and I guess with some googling you could find the actual papers.
msScreenshot_13.png
msScreenshot_14.png
msScreenshot_15.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaunWhite

msScreenshot_16.png
msScreenshot_17.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaunWhite

I think my personal obscure topic of the week is....
Screenshot_13.png
I look forward to the relevent data being available in Guardian :)
firlandsfarm

That's some amazing stuff you've uncovered there Shaun … just need to be reincarnated so I will have enough time to read and apply it!
firlandsfarm

I just came across this from Betfair. It's probably well know to many and if not the content will be but I found the 'Diary' on pages 64 - 72 might be an interesting read for any newbies to serious betting. I explains the practical application of 'value' and how a (maybe fictitious) professional goes about his work.
JuiceyJones

Some that have really helped me in the last year with trading. I trade small potatoes to most here though.

Antifragile - Nicolas Taleb
Trading in the Zone - Mark Douglas (available on Youtube for free if you prefer to listen)
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Made Simple - Seth Gillihan
Thinking Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman
Happiness Hypothesis - Jonathan Haidt
jimibt

one for the nerds among us

Return to “General discussion”