Business opportunity for knowledgeable traders

A place to discuss anything.
Euler

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:05 pm
Euler wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:23 pm

I don't even know if this fund is still operating?
The fidens link goes to http://www.footballformlabs.com/ but thought you'd know as it's essential before you trade, apparently.
" The ability to mine information on vital statistics is a key part of finding an edge in any sports market. The vast range of data available in Form Labs makes it an essential tool for me before I trade any football match. "
Peter Webb Bet Angel founder

My views on using stats and sports hedge funds are very clear and very well known.

To imply that somehow because I like stats, I'm somehow endorsing a sports betting fund is somewhat wide of the mark.

I'm not actually sure when that quote was made, but it must be very old now.
spreadbetting

Fail to see how I'm implying that, just pointing out you're being used to promote http://www.footballformlabs.com, if you're aware of that fair enough.
jimibt

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:24 pm
Fail to see how I'm implying that, just pointing out you're being used to promote http://www.footballformlabs.com, if you're aware of that fair enough.
SB - i THINK PW was implying that the fund page blurb was the ermm implier
alexmr2

tiberigc wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:57 pm
A good trader could "automate" manual work, or better yet, outsource trading and have a profit return in exchange for training and shadowing.
I would compare this to a professional footballer player taking a team of athletic people off the street and then teaching them how to play football and expecting them to do well in the Premier League and hand over 25% of their salary to the teacher (that actually sounds like a good idea for a TV show :!: )

If you take some intelligent people off the street and train them how to trade manually even shadowing them 6 afternoons a week, then I believe that 2 years down the line they would probably still be losing money

I just don't believe manual trading can be taught without years of experience to develop the skill in your "system 1" thinking which would allow you to trade consistently profitably
tiberigc

alexmr2 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:03 am
tiberigc wrote:
A good trader could "automate" manual work, or better yet, outsource trading and have a profit return in exchange for training and shadowing.
I would compare this to a professional footballer player taking a team of athletic people off the street and then teaching them how to play football and expecting them to do well in the Premier League and hand over 25% of their salary to the teacher (that actually sounds like a good idea for a TV show :!: )

If you take some intelligent people off the street and train them how to trade manually even shadowing them 6 afternoons a week, then I believe that 2 years down the line they would probably still be losing money

I just don't believe manual trading can be taught without years of experience to develop the skill in your "system 1" thinking which would allow you to trade consistently profitably
I read somewhere on the forum that PW is coaching his daughter and she already reached the first level of premium charge.
I doubt that this coaching is going for more than 1 year back, which goes to show that teaching the important stuff is more relevant than the period you learn in.
We could be both at the same level of iq, as long as I get direct and concrete/practical information whilst you only get general info out of random videos, I will always be years ahead of you.
Euler

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:24 pm
Must be a really old quote, I used it a long time ago. I guess that's the danger of saying something positive about something with no time frame attached.
alexmr2

tiberigc wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:45 pm
alexmr2 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:03 am
tiberigc wrote:

I read somewhere on the forum that PW is coaching his daughter and she already reached the first level of premium charge.
I doubt that this coaching is going for more than 1 year back, which goes to show that teaching the important stuff is more relevant than the period you learn in.
We could be both at the same level of iq, as long as I get direct and concrete/practical information whilst you only get general info out of random videos, I will always be years ahead of you.
Maybe PW can confirm this but from my memory he was teaching his daughter in 2017 or 2018 and she started doing well this year, so that's at least 2 or 3 years even when you are taught everything from the best
Euler

I've been teaching her on and off for a while, but it was only since she left Uni was she able to spend time on it properly.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:23 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:52 pm
It was Wilde that got me thinking about it. I get a weekly pc report at the moment and turnover more than him but don't get near his £900,000 profits :(
I don't believe that profit figure is a real number. As an edge that would be something way out there in terms of a percentage.
900k/30m = 3%? It's strong but not crazy if you're betting rather than trading. And they are punting because 30m isn't hard to do trading.

These features have a tendency to exaggerate too so I assumed that 900K was gross.
Euler

The variability on football is such, that exceeding the 'true' odds by a wide number is really hard to do. It's a really low margin game. The odds often aren't far enough away from the true price to capture that much value.
TraderFred

I met the guy from that fund once at Cheltenham. Told me he was the head of the third biggest football betting syndicate in the country. Said it was Bloom, Benham, then him, in collaboration with a load of ex betfair staff.

Think all the money was bet into Asia through brokers etc. Came across more salesman than trader to be honest, trying to raise money and gain investors for his fund.

Don’t get why anybody would want to invest in these funds. No idea how this one did though, this is the first I’ve read of it since.
ruthlessimon

alexmr2 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:05 pm

It all depends on a person's aspirations.

If a trader is content with making £3K a yr - that is teachable in a couple of "heavy going" afternoons imho (bit of theory, bit of data, bit of videos, bit of live trading - job done). But if a trader wants to make £30K+ a yr, that is gonna take something extra. A lot extra.
ShaunWhite

ruthlessimon wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:58 pm
If a trader is content with making £3K a yr - that is teachable in a couple of "heavy going" afternoons imho (bit of theory, bit of data, bit of videos, bit of live trading - job done). But if a trader wants to make £30K+ a yr, that is gonna take something extra. A lot extra.
Profitable in a couple of afternoons? :shock: No way.

Trading has a tipping point and if you can do 3k you can probably do 30k. But what you can't do is 300k.
Euler

TraderFred wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:50 pm
I met the guy from that fund once at Cheltenham. Told me he was the head of the third biggest football betting syndicate in the country. Said it was Bloom, Benham, then him, in collaboration with a load of ex betfair staff.

Think all the money was bet into Asia through brokers etc. Came across more salesman than trader to be honest, trying to raise money and gain investors for his fund.

Don’t get why anybody would want to invest in these funds. No idea how this one did though, this is the first I’ve read of it since.
Bloom, Benham are all huge participants and yes, Asia is a big hunting ground for a lot of syndicates.

There are about seven or so big ones I'm aware of. But I'm of the opinion that while trading and the like works really well at a small scale, its very difficult to scale. So scale isn't an advantage.
In collaboration with a load of ex betfair staff
Gambit is full of ex Betfair staff.
spreadbetting

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:17 pm
ruthlessimon wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:58 pm
Profitable in a couple of afternoons? :shock: No way.

Trading has a tipping point and if you can do 3k you can probably do 30k. But what you can't do is 300k.
I'd agree, once you understand the mechanics it's mainly balls and bank that get you to the next stage especially given the wall to wall events available.

Return to “General discussion”