Volume drop and scheduling

A place to discuss anything.
AlexisMartin

So they look to have scheduled more races and with closer start times to eachother since the lockdown, and the in play volumes and pre off volumes seem to have dropped? has anyone else noticed this or is it just me ? I do not have much ruinnin in play anyway but yesterday in the penultimate race the chelmsford only 30k matched in running?!
And the 16:15 race had around 172k matched in total!!
I know races never run on time but the gap in between races is even less!
TraderFred

They seem to be going back to a more normal schedule now, 7/8 race cards , 4 or 5 cards per day.

Always get lots of clashes late August/early September where the night and day racing overlaps. Tend to get a race going off every 5 minutes from around 4-6 pm.

As regards the penultimate race at Chelmsford last night, it was a 5f race, so I assume they match less than races over further ?
Euler

I was looking at overall volumes in August and there was a drop year on year. I did sort of put it down to the unusual scheduling.

August was 10% below July which was 17% below June, but Royal Ascot would have skewed that a little.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:19 pm
I did sort of put it down to the unusual scheduling.
Or maybe the biggest economic crisis in the last 200yrs has stifled the flow of money? I'd speculated that there would be a significant number who would drift away from racing when it was suspended who wouldn't come back because they'd find other interests, 10% would seem to be about right.

The unemployment rate is astronomical at the moment, people are struggling and the number of evictions and repossessions will escalate dramatically when the vito on court action is lifted. It's going to get worse before it gets better.
TraderFred

I’d put it more down to the scheduling. The early starts caught a lot of people out, especially mid summer.

Also, despite the bigger cards, there was still was less racing than a typical summer. Take Saturday 22nd August as an example, there was originally scheduled to be 7 uk meetings and 2 Irish, though we ended up with 2 Irish and 4 uk. So despite the bigger cards, I think there was still less racing, which will have an effect on overall volumes.

And the premier league and domestic football didn’t finish until late July, then we had the champions league etc through August. And no crowds on course at the summer festivals must have had some sort of trickle down effect. Been a strange year, and not really comparable to anything else.
ShaunWhite

TraderFred wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:47 pm
there was still was less racing than a typical summer.
Whatever it is/they are, considering the scale of the shitstorm out there I think we've got away quite lightly even if it's 20% down. It's no reason for celebration obviously but in April I think we'd have settled for that.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:20 pm
TraderFred wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:47 pm
there was still was less racing than a typical summer.
Whatever it is/they are, considering the scale of the shitstorm out there I think we've got away quite lightly even if it's 20% down. It's no reason for celebration obviously but in April I think we'd have settled for that.
i kinda have a feeling lurking that says that we're going to see a similar *lockdown* on racing and the likes again come oct/nov... hopefully i'm wrong. combine that with some unseasonal heavy frost and we're really laughing
TraderFred

Yes I’m certainly not complaining, I’ve quite enjoyed the new schedule to be honest.

The shitstorm you speak of hasn’t happened yet has it ? I think it’s still brewing. Next year is when it will hit, when furlough stops, recession kicks in, racecourses start to close, trainers go out of business, owners leave the sport.

That’s obviously worst case scenario, and I hope it doesn’t come to that. I guess we will know a lot more this time next year and all we can do for now is sit and wait, and carry on as normal.
alexmr2

Pro traders, has post-corona trading has been different to previous years? Is it harder to read and trade or is it just the same but you have to use smaller stakes than last summer?

Return to “General discussion”