Nice trading quote

A place to discuss anything.
Iron

“Dramatic and emotional trading experiences tend to be negative; pride is a great banana peel, as are hope, fear, and greed." - Ed Seykota
Iron

'I honestly think struggling retail traders "psyche themselves out". In other words, it's not that professionals do extraordinary things unobtainable by retail, it's that (the best of them) are better risk managers and better at following rules of risk management & position management.'

Richard Weissman
PeterLe

Forget contemplating whether your glass is half empty or half full..it doesn't really matter if you have lots of glasses
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iron

'When you and I set out to create anything— art, commerce, science, love— or to advance in the direction of a higher, nobler version of ourselves, we uncork from the universe, ineluctably, an equal and opposite reaction. That reaction is Resistance. Resistance is an active, intelligent, protean, malign force— tireless, relentless, and inextinguishable — whose sole object is to stop us from becoming our best selves and from achieving our higher goals.'

Pressfield, Steven - Do the Work
doncht

Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.

If you want to have a better performance than the crowd, you must do things differently from the crowd.

The four most dangerous words in investing are 'This time it's different'.
Iron

A view which Zenyatta will doubtless agree with! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
THENUTS

PeterLe wrote:Forget contemplating whether your glass is half empty or half full..it doesn't really matter if you have lots of glasses
That made me laugh and whenever that happens its always a good thing :D :D
Euler

Ferru123 wrote:A view which Zenyatta will doubtless agree with! :D
But a lot of that doesn't apply in the sports market.
Euler

Hmm, punting it all on a tip by a mate. Not sure that's a trading or investing maxim.
Iron

The sum zero and commission bits apply to BF.

As for slippage, let's go with Nassim Taleb's definition (from Wikipedia):

'the difference between the average execution price and the initial midpoint of the bid and the offer for a given quantity to be executed'.

Let's say I want to enter the market long when the market is at 6.0-6.2. I could either:

- Offer at 6.0. If my offer is accepted, great. If not, and the market rises further and I still want to go long, I have to offer at 6.2 and risk missing the boat again, or take at 6.4.

- Take at 6.2 initially.

Either way, unless I am filled at 6.0, I'm losing out due to slippage.

As a result, I would say that slippage applies to BF trading (although if your style is to offer speculatively and you don't care where you get matched, it's not such an issue).

Jeff
Euler wrote:
Ferru123 wrote:A view which Zenyatta will doubtless agree with! :D
But a lot of that doesn't apply in the sports market.
Euler

Your maximum loss on Betfair is the commission you pay to them, which is tiny if you are trading. So that's all you need to overcome to make a profit. Much more favourable than financial markets.
Iron

I've never gone in big on a tip from a mate, but I've made big bets on what I thought were high probability trading outcomes, and ended up red faced. I imagine it's quite common.

I once knew someone who bought £20K of Lloyds TSB shares because he thought the price would rise after a government announcement. It actually fell. I disliked the guy, and took pleasure from him losing money due to his own hubris! :lol: He had a macho attitude to losing money, but didn't realise that, whilst losses weren't to be feared, they should be kept to a minimum!

Jeff
Euler wrote: Hmm, punting it all on a tip by a mate. Not sure that's a trading or investing maxim.
Euler

I think the general problem with tips is that you can blame somebody else, when in fact you should always make your own decisions as if forces you to think them through. You also have to accept responsibility when they go wrong.
Euler

Not aiming this at you particularly Jeff, but having just returned from the US I'm always on such a high. Met loads of people and we all talked open and honestly about the various aspects of what we do, but the 'can do' feeling and positivity in the discussions always really strikes me when I'm in the US. You feel anything is possible. But it's not a blind optimism, its just a 'lets see what we can do' sort of optimism.

I've offered to help a hedge fund there and they are going to try and reverse into a sports insurance company and, if successful, we may actually be able to list on Nasdaq within a year. Fair few hurdles to overcome but it's an interesting diversion.

Return to “General discussion”