Computer speed. (should I buy a new pc!?)

A place to discuss anything.
rogerpalmtree

Hello all. I spend most of my time on bet angel either backing or laying the entire field, when a margin of half a percent or more is being offered by other users. This stratergy requires the bets to be placed very quickly, (within half a second or preferably quiker) to make any long term profit. I'm just wondering if investing in a new pc would be worthwhile. My current response times are generally between 50 and 100 milliseconds, and then it takes another fraction of a second until the bets are actually in the market. This delay varies, but I'd say it usually around a quartar of a second. Is this delay always going to exist (ie is it just down to internet connection speeds and the betfair severs), or could this delay be reduced to virtually nothing with a more powerful system. I currently have 2gb ram and a core2duo proccessor. I also use a non api mode. If anyone could let me know whether a faster computer would reduce this delay that would be much appreciated.
JollyGreen

Hi Roger

Who is your internet provider? Those response times seem pretty good to me.

As for the PC, a C2D and 2Gb of RAM should be more than enough to run Bet Angel. Only question I would have is about your graphics card, what is the specification of that?

JG
rogerpalmtree

Hi JG

not really sure about my graphics card, (my knowledge of computers is pretty poor and I can't find the manual). Also don't no my service provider as I'm in student accommodation and it comes with the place.

But it's not really the response times that are the issue, (although at times they can slow a little), its more the time it takes for bets to actually reach the market after I here that "beep." don't no if this is Betfair related and will always happen regardless, or whether it's my computer. But presumebly the faster the computer the smaller the delay??? Or am I wrong and does computer speed stop mattering after a point??? Any other comments would be great

Roger
andyfuller

Got to: http://www.speedtest.net/ and run the speed test and post the link to the result or the image itself. Will show your connection speed, ping and ISP
rogerpalmtree

ok. download was 1.82 mb/s, upload was 0.34 mb/s, ping was 22 ms. My sever is in Maidenhead, (150miles away) and my ISP is Torch communications Ltd.
andyfuller

Your response times sound pretty good to me. Can't see you shaving too much time off them. Perhaps work on speeding up your own reactions.
jimrobo

Personally I think 1.82 is pretty slow. It depends on what type of trading you are doing though
andyfuller

The response times are 50ms to 100ms which I think is good. Anything near 50ms is excellent imo.
TheRiddler

personally I don't believe a super fast (expensive) computer would pay dividends. Your best bet is to find/upgrade to as fast a broadband speed as possible.
And if your already at that point then maybe improving the efficiency of your present computer would do no harm. Is there a better way of firing your stakes into the system eg through software etc
?
That's how I would approach this before shelling out. Unless of course a faster computer would benefit you in other ways unrelated to this topic?
jimrobo

andyfuller wrote:The response times are 50ms to 100ms which I think is good. Anything near 50ms is excellent imo.
Fast internet is crucial IMO unless you are an excellent trader. 100 is putting you at a disadvantage straight away.
andyfuller

What response times do you gouys get? Mine are in the 100 to 200ms range. Hopefully in a month or two I will be able to try out a connection with 50ms to see if I can notice much of a difference.
rogerpalmtree

ok thanks guys for all your responses. I think the general consensus seems to be a faster internet connection would do no harm. As I said I'm currently stuck with what I've got as I rent but I was thinking maybe some mobile broadband company's might be faster that what I currently have?

With regards to a new computer I'm still not sure.... surely if I spent say 800 quid on a good system, and because of this I earnt even as little as an extra fiver a day, (through reduced slowdown on maybe one or two sets of bets), this would be worth my while, and the computer would pay for itself within a few months?? The suggestion about upgrading my current PC also seems like something I'll think about.
jimrobo

Mobile broadband gives a max speed of 400 kb/s which is a quarter of your current speed. They advertise 7.2 Mb/s but the only place you can get this is in london and thats the theoretical maximum. The actual maximum is 6.8 I think but even that is pretty much impossible. If you can't get cable then I'm afraid you're probably on the fastest internet you're going to get. A faster pc won't do anything for your trading. The bottom line is it is your broadband speed which is the main factor.

Return to “General discussion”