my VPS has gone really slow!

A place to discuss anything.
xitian

superfrank, I don't think having a browser open would make that much difference.

Generally you'll find that any home connection will have a less stable/reliable connection to anything else compared to a hosted server. If you do a constant ping to your VPS from home over a long period of time you'll probably also find that it'll spike every now and then. If it doesn't then there's probably a good route between you and your VPS, and that may be better than going direct to Betfair.

There doesn't seem to be much in it, like you said.
Euler

I've got so used to using the VPS since I first started many years ago that I tend to use it as my main trading interface. I wouldn't be without it.

I original started with a dedicated server but moved to a VPS because tests showed that there was little difference in performance between them. But ultimately you can spec up a VPS or dedicated server as little or as much as you like.

Ultimately thought the bottleneck is at Betfair's end. No matter how fast you call their servers the prices are now cached so there's an economic point at which spending money trying to call efficiently them falls over. It doesn't matter how clever your software or how high spec your server you can't exceed that universal speed limit imposed by Betfair.

I guess it all depends on your strategy, but I wouldn't be without mine. Even if just used as a back up or as a way of trading from any internet enabled device.
PDC

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I thought it would be better to extend this thread which I found while searching the forum rather than start a new one on the same topic.

My VPS has 'developed' an issue where it is really slow to update when I am viewing it. For example, I click to submit an order pre-race and it may take 3 or more seconds to display on the ladder on my home PC screen, when it should be near instant as there is no delay to placing orders pre-race.

The money being matched and updated can be really slow as well, I describe it like trading in treacle.

But it only seems to be an issue during the afternoon and evenings, though I haven't kept any records of times as of yet.

If I log in to trade the Australian racing say between 3am and 8am I have no issues and it runs nice and smoothly with no delays or lags.

My internet speedtest doesn't seem to vary, being the same ping and download/upload regardless of time of day.

I don't think it is the software either.

The main factor I can point to is time of day, as I said above.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned the following and I wondered if that could be the issue:

"When using VPS's you're actually sharing hardware with other virtual machines. Although generally the load from all VPS's on the same hardware should be distributed fairly, I do hear cases where one VPS hogs resources and can cause other VPS's to slow down. I've never actually had a serious issue myself, but it's one of my worries when using a VPS."

Has anyone else had this experience in the past and figured it out or got some advice on what to do/check?
Euler

You may want to ask for a new VPS and see if that solves the problem. It could be that the resources are stretched on the host you are using. But a simple way to test that would be to switch. Short term though bring up the task manager and see which part is stressed.

Right click the bottom bar, select task manager and select more details, performance.
PDC

Thanks for replying Peter, few follow up questions in response to your reply as I am bit unclear on some of the replies.

When you say, ask for a new VPS, do you mean ask for one of the same spec but just a new VPS, so replacing like for like or do you mean something else?

When you say, the resources could be stretched on the host you are using, do you mean company wide or on the set of shared hardware I m using with other customers (going by the quote I posted in my previous post on the thread where I quoted another user)?

When you have said, a simple way to test that would be to switch, do you mean switch company/provider entirely or as in the first above point, just switching by asking the current provider for a new VPS?

In terms of Task manager what do people consider to be acceptable levels to be running at? For example what are you running at when trading, as I have nothing to compare it against so it is hard to know what is classed as being stressed. My CPU usage is around 50 - 75% usage (it is constantly changing), though sometimes it can go right up to 90% (which I would assume is stressing it) but in normal pre-race trading it sits around 75% and Memory is 1.23GB of 2GB available and stays pretty constant.
Euler

When you say, ask for a new VPS, do you mean ask for one of the same spec but just a new VPS, so replacing like for like or do you mean something else?

Switch VPS's (same spec) if you can't find a particular reason as that may put you on a different rack or server that is less stressed.

When you say, the resources could be stretched on the host you are using, do you mean company wide or on the set of shared hardware I m using with other customers (going by the quote I posted in my previous post on the thread where I quoted another user)?

When you have said, a simple way to test that would be to switch, do you mean switch company/provider entirely or as in the first above point, just switching by asking the current provider for a new VPS?

Usually individual servers get stressed. You could be sharing a blade with somebody that is killing performance of the whole unit. So switching should move you to a different blade or rack.

In terms of Task manager what do people consider to be acceptable levels to be running at? For example what are you running at when trading, as I have nothing to compare it against so it is hard to know what is classed as being stressed. My CPU usage is around 50 - 75% usage (it is constantly changing), though sometimes it can go right up to 90% (which I would assume is stressing it) but in normal pre-race trading it sits around 75% and Memory is 1.23GB of 2GB available and stays pretty constant.

If it hits 100% then it's stressed, but below that it should be ok.

Return to “General discussion”