VPS and increased downloads.

A place to discuss anything.
Finoh

Hi,

I have VPS which I am very happy with. What I have noticed though is I am using about 1.2 gig per night. How is everyone else going with VPS usage.

Cheers

Finoh.
andyfuller

I use one from time to time and I am like you and see a significant increase in my download compared to when I use Bet Angel directly on my PC.

The amount you quote would roughly be in line with the amount I use.
ls001

Hi guys,
I'm also using the VPS service and I'm pleased with the performance. Given, the 20 gig disk space limitation, I'm just curious about the downloads you're referring to. Are these downloads automatic or something you've configured?
Regards,
Larry

P.S. Sorry if this is a double-post, I hit save the first time and seemed to have lost the draft.
andyfuller

The download i am talking about is the download I use on my home internet connection. I am on a 50gig monthly allowance and have no issues as I don't get near that but I was just saying that if I use BA on my home pc I use a lot less of my download allowance each day than if I use the VPS.

Hope that clears up what I was saying?
ls001

Thanks for clearing it up.
Regards,
Larry
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Surely the wrong way around?!?!?

When using a VPS your bandwidth usage will drop off dramatically. You only use around 3 kb/s but a direct connection will use up to ten times that amount.
andyfuller

No I definately use more when using my VPS - I have not switched over to the BA package yet by I use the same company as the BA one uses currently.

Perhaps my settings are not right?

But I definately use a lot more when using the VPS than when I use BA on my home PC. That's why I was a bit surprised when it said on the VPS page on the website that the download would be a lot less.

As I say it is probably something to do with my settings?

Perhaps because I have the VPS over 4 screens?
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

That's very bizarre, you must have somehow have local settings that increases the bandwidth using the VPS?

RDP only downloads items on the screen that change so it doesn't actually download much data at all. If you have a native connection it downloads all the data from the market from Betfair, so that is much more bandwidth intensive.

When I was looking after my dad last year I often didn't have a decent internet connection but was able to trade perfectly well using a VPS and a 3G connection. The bandwidth usage was so low than I never exceeded my 5Gb per month limit using the 3G connection.
andyfuller

Interesting - I guess something is wrong at my end. I will have a look at it when I have chance. As I say it isn't a big issue as I have plenty of download allowance but something is obviously not working as it should be so.
JollyGreen

That does seem very strange :?

As mentioned by Bet Angel all the main number crunching is performed on the server as is most of the data transfer between your server and the betfair server so it would seem odd that your data usage increases.

How are you measuring the usage?
SpikeyBob

A quick question to the people getting high bandwidth usage over the VPS.

Are you heavy graph users (i.e. do you have lots of graphs open on your VPS)?

If so this could explain the additional bandwidth being used. The normal BA client will use simple numerical data to progamatically build the graphs on your local PC which is small amount of data compared to graphics data even if RDP is only sending screen changes.

If you are sending graphs over an RDP connection, this is graphical data that is constantly changing and will therefore increase the bandwidth required.

If you don't use graphs (use say just the ladder) and compare the figures then between VPS and the normal client does it use less bandwidth?

Cheers .... SB
andyfuller

I am measuring the usage by looking at my ISP stats which shows how much I have downloaded each day and up loaded.

In terms of graphs I have the charting undocked and open I also have the BF style graphs open for each of the three horses in the ladder and also the advanced charting open for each of the three horses in the ladder so it is fair to say I am a heavy chart user.

Return to “General discussion”