Betfair trading made simple - Part 5 "Why always me?"

A place to discuss anything.
steven1976

Hi Jolly,
Good to see they will have some permanent place as they could soon disappear deep into threads in 6 months and then future newbies may not always see them.

ste
burdo77

I might suggest that you should do some brain training games every day.

Luminosity. Com very good place to start.

All games target certain areas of the brain
Any brain game such as "response inhibition" that stimulates the frontal lobe cortex which the primary control is for emotions would be beneficial for traders.
jessicapatel123

hello
If we break it down simply, you should only be entering trades when you have an idea of where the market is likely to move. So if you're only betting at those opportunities you should be at you max potential. If you sit by hesitating at whether to place bets and they then pass you by it's likely you'd be undertrading, sticking spurious bets into the market on a whim to be involved because nothing clear has cropped up would be considered overtrading.

I'd imagine most traders veer between the two simply because we're either trying new things out or bored/tired of watching the markets. Realistically you're trying to be the most efficient trader you can be on that particular day.

regards
jessica patel
Mr Undercover

Hi JollyGreen,

Just wanted to echo opinion, fantastic job writing these episodes and surely essential reading for new and seasoned traders alike. It's appreciated the great deal of time it must take to write and edit, you've served our community and forum well Sir!

My only advice to newbies is this is a MUST read series and keep reading over again and again while learning to trade.

cheers
trader44

have to agree with undercover a great post and a great subject for anyone trading to read :D
GaryCook

Good read. Thanks.

Personally, I dont get emotional about gambling or trading.
I accepted that it may not work for me and I just do it for fun with the small chance it could make me money possibly.
ShaunWhite

GaryCook wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:52 am
Good read. Thanks.

Personally, I dont get emotional about gambling or trading.
I accepted that it may not work for me and I just do it for fun with the small chance it could make me money possibly.
You won't be emotional if it doesn't mean anything to you.
stueytrader

You have to place trading in a context in your life IMO, to avoid the biggest impacts of emotion. If it means everything to you, then taking losses with a cool head is more difficult for sure.
nathanrost

Great post for newbies indeed! I would like to add that sometimes it's just better to accept loss and understand that it couldn't had happen in another way, there was the only possible way out of the situation, kind of to believe in fate.
parrettt

burdo77 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:44 pm

Any brain game such as "response inhibition" that stimulates the frontal lobe cortex which the primary control is for emotions would be beneficial for traders.
burdo77 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:44 pm

Lumosity is brilliant thanks!
jamesedwards

I wonder what happened to all these big regular posters of the past. Are they still using Bet Angel but have just moved on from the board? Do they still trade but with different software? Have they quit trading altogether, and if so have they retired rich or gone back to the 9 till 5 grind? Will Derek still be rambling away to himself on his anti-Boris thread in 2032?
Derek27

jamesedwards wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:00 pm
I wonder what happened to all these big regular posters of the past. Are they still using Bet Angel but have just moved on from the board? Do they still trade but with different software? Have they quit trading altogether, and if so have they retired rich or gone back to the 9 till 5 grind? Will Derek still be updating his Boris thread in 2032?
The green giant still appears now and again. I doubt there will be much talk about BJ by the end of this year, it will be goodbye and good riddance. :D

By the way, trading is a 12-hour-plus grind for some people. :)

Return to “General discussion”