Help for new traders - Focussing on Now Part 1

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
cybernet69

I am only risking 2% of my bank.
Bluesky

I imagine CS is thinking that even though your theoretical risk is only 2%, actually placing 10% of your bank on one trade is rather high for a new trader. I am sure its fine for experienced and profitable traders, but I would agree with CS that for someone new, who does not know if they are going to be profitable or not. Then using 10% of your bank on each trade even with a stop at 2% would be too scary.

New traders will often blow up their first few banks, one of those reasons is taking positions too large for their emotions to cope with.
Crazyskier

Bluesky wrote:I imagine CS is thinking that even though your theoretical risk is only 2%, actually placing 10% of your bank on one trade is rather high for a new trader. I am sure its fine for experienced and profitable traders, but I would agree with CS that for someone new, who does not know if they are going to be profitable or not. Then using 10% of your bank on each trade even with a stop at 2% would be too scary.

New traders will often blow up their first few banks, one of those reasons is taking positions too large for their emotions to cope with.
Quite correct. My worst personal issue is 'spam-clicking' back prices on the LTP favourite at the closing stages IP. If only I could adjust to laying them at tiny odds, I'd have far more losses in terms of frequency but win money overall I'm sure...

How many times I've spent several hours slowly and consistently winning, only to find one bad race wipes out the entire day's winnings and sometimes more! This is SO frustrating and stems from a lack of discpline and as you say, positions that are too large for the emotions to deal with...
Bluesky

Crazyskier wrote:This is SO frustrating and stems from a lack of discpline and as you say, positions that are too large for the emotions to deal with...
Don't be too hard on yourself CS, I think the vast majority of traders struggle with similar issues. Very few people have the right mind set as it were that's suitable for trading when they start. I do think however that one can slowly acquire the right mind set, but it takes time, patience and discipline. Unfortunately those three things are in short supply for the vast majority of people that start sports trading.

If you find that your decisions are becoming clouded due to their size, step them down a little. Its not a race to see how much money people can make is a short period of time.

Its very easy when reading forum posts to compare ones results with other posters, I can see how this can be useful in one respect. I also think though it can cause people to use large stake size because someone else who started around the same time as you is making more money.

We are all different and some people will pick all this stuff up quicker than others, most of course will never get it.

I would imagine there isn't a successful trader using this forum that hasn't had periods of extreme frustration, and thought that they would never get it.
stueytrader

Bluesky wrote:

We are all different and some people will pick all this stuff up quicker than others, most of course will never get it.

I would imagine there isn't a successful trader using this forum that hasn't had periods of extreme frustration, and thought that they would never get it.
Too true - sadly, seems as though it's almost impossible to become a successful trader immediately, and without mashing your way through a number of different banks first. I'm only getting near to being what I consider a strong mental and practical approach to my trading, after losing a few banks on the way. I'd be very impressed by anyone who truly just started trading one day, and continually made money without a crash at some point. There's a saying in Psychology that you learn more from mistakes, and I think that's very true of trading.
hmsnaveen95

Great post, Thanks. I am newbie here It shows new way and fresh ideas to get perfect.
Bunchie3174

Ha, not just me then. I've possibly read too much and not enough.
I shall have no targets, no expectations other than to get out of bad positions quickly, and enjoy learning to trade
RussellMarsh

I am new to trading but 15 years ago I used to be a Pretty serious bettor and once even ran my own lay bet advice service being pretty handy at building websites. I have had bets of many thousands and seen the results ebb and flow..

I eventually burned a few banks and came to realise it was a mugs game. For God's sake I was putting hard earned money on dumb animals that didn't even know what they were supposed to do half the time!! - Watch any horse race and it's easy to see most of them are just having a gallop with some new mates! - They have no concept of that winning line and what it means..

HOWEVER there was an education to be had in that working to a defined staking plan within a system you DID learn to out the money down and become more detached from it and become less emotional as time wore on.

I haven't backed a horse in the last 15 years but did miss the world of betting and the excitement of especially big meetings etc. so anyway recently I accidentally came across Peter's videos and thought INTERESTING! - Here is a way of beating the system and it's realistic on one hand whilst 'not being for everyone on the other' - :mrgreen:

I have watched practically every video Peter has made and am about to embark on buying Bet Angel and starting trading. I am fortunate in that I'm not doing this because I NEED the money as I have another income so I am not coming into this desperate to earn a living (even if that amount would be nice).

I think this puts much less pressure on me than the person who needs the income for food.

I will be extremely patient and be staking 3 % of my bank which is somewhere between conservative and normal staking I have worked out - I will never suddenly Up my stake - I think that Does put extra pressure on you but will run a complete Spreadsheet of every trade and will ruthlessly stick to the % - hopefully making a few pennies at first then maybe a couple of quid - and so on up the ladder slowly until it's realistic to call it a useful side income - (he said all this hopefully) ;)

- Great journey Guys and a great forum!!
stueytrader

Good luck Russell.

It's a tough road trading, but great if you make progress on it.
eightbo

RussellMarsh wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:44 am
hopefully making a few pennies at first then maybe a couple of quid - and so on up the ladder slowly
might want to adjust that to:
hopefully not lose too much whilst learning / eliminating my mistakes at first then maybe get to breakeven — and then fine-tune my trades to begin making some £

best of luck, be wary of your need for excitement as to be effectively making trading decisions you'll want your emotions in Neutral
ShaunWhite

RussellMarsh wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:44 am
I will be extremely patient and be staking 3 % of my bank which is somewhere between conservative and normal staking I have worked out
Good luck with it. Try to rid yourself of that punting mentality....it's not the stake size that's important it's the size of the loss you're prepared to accept. Doesn't matter if you stake 10 or 20% or more....just keep those max losses to 1 or 2%.

Re videos etc....great for learning the basics but it's just how one person does it, so use them to help find your own path rather than necessarily trying to copy them frame by frame. There's more than one way to skin a cat and your interests, time, pre-existing skills and personality will all guide that.

It's a long road and not easy, the received thinking is that only about 5% become longterm profitable so be realistic about your progress and if you're close to breakeven after 6 months then you're on the way. That makes you a 20/1 shot, which should put into perspective how hard you're going to have to work to get in the frame. I'm not trying to demoralise you, just being frank about the 1000s of hours you'll need to invest and your likelihood of making any money. This is going to be a hobby with a cost for a long time before you (might) make anything, so the initial objective is just to not run out of money before you've run out of lessons to learn.
TheRiddler

If you put into this trading lark as many minutes as ShaunWhite has posts and you commit to learning something new about the markets each minute, measuring your fundamaental, technical and pyschological progress along the way(not fudged only true), I'd say at the end you'd be shorter than a 20/1 shot to be successful.
Horses come with varying degrees of intelligence. Accept this and you've already made a start.
Good luck.
eightbo

TheRiddler wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:05 pm
If you put into this trading lark as many minutes as ShaunWhite has posts
:lol: :lol: I make that just over 79 hrs. I've gone longer not leaving my room!
TheRiddler

eightbo wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:11 pm
TheRiddler wrote:
:lol: :lol: I make that just over 79 hrs. I've gone longer not leaving my room!
It's a post (from me) about being efficient with one's time. Levelling out and making small profits is very achievable in a relatively short time frame if the approach is true. What you are doing in your room for that length of time is your business, but when you do release yourself don't wave at people with the wrong hand or your palm may cause unwanted blindness temporarily. :D
ShaunWhite

TheRiddler wrote:
Don't remind me, the cost/benefit has been marginal at times, for me and especially for whoever reads them. :roll:

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”