BAMI - Bet Angel Market Import

Help improve Bet Angel.

Would you like to see BAMI incorporated into BA??

Yes, yes, yes. I've always wanted this included in BA
84%
No, I trade manually and can't see any benefit for me
11%
Not sure - but that's just me -always on the fence!!
5%

Total votes: 61
Hobsom

I think this idea would be really useful, and I've asked for something similar before.

If BA grabbed data from a few races (only looking at horse racing at this stage) then 'anonymised' it (replacing horse names with numbers and removing meeting info) then the software could have a 'virtual trial run' button perhaps.

This could remove the licensing problem as the data would just be a mass of ambiguous odds data only. Even if this were a limited data set spread over a few days of racing it would still be hugely useful in working out the wrinkles in systems and logic, and would allow fine tuning improvements that might otherwise take weeks.

If this were a paid for add-on I'd definitely buy it.
jimibt

Hobsom wrote:I think this idea would be really useful, and I've asked for something similar before.

If BA grabbed data from a few races (only looking at horse racing at this stage) then 'anonymised' it (replacing horse names with numbers and removing meeting info) then the software could have a 'virtual trial run' button perhaps.

This could remove the licensing problem as the data would just be a mass of ambiguous odds data only. Even if this were a limited data set spread over a few days of racing it would still be hugely useful in working out the wrinkles in systems and logic, and would allow fine tuning improvements that might otherwise take weeks.

If this were a paid for add-on I'd definitely buy it.
I agree, i would pay per meeting/per daily card to use this additional functionality on a very regular basis. to me it completes the circle between intention and realisation. without a back-testing platform, it's all too easy to make educated assumptions that play kindly 75% of the time and then BOOOM!! this therefore makes BA a less then complete product at present. however, with this in place, i can't see anything touching BA as a total solution.
Bluesky

I tried to vote yet too, and got the invalid notice. Lets hope the powers that be have taken a look and are working on it.
ruthlessimon

For those traders who demand a more rigorous and technical approach, a backtesting feature such as this would be invaluable. BetAngel being a product aimed at more 'astute' traders, should already have a feature such as this incorporated.
Yorkshire Pud

+1 for this please. This would be invaluable for coming up with new strategies / fine tuning. When testing a strategy you can wait for a scenario to happen in practice mode, but if things don't go to plan or need tweeking slightly, then you have to wait for it to happen again but, it will never be exactly the same. With this option it would allow you to fine tune the strategy to that particular race before moving on and testing against similar scenarios in other historic races.
Deeppockets

My YES vote has been logged, no problem there.
LinusP

You need to speak to Betfair first, this is a response I got in May asking the same question:
Dear Liam,

Please find that we plan to update historical data licensing soon as we have taken your details to contact you when details of the scheme are completed.

Kind Regards,

Robert
ShaunWhite

jimibt wrote: ...file standard with Fracsoft which would allow BA users to purchase historical market data from a 3rd party provider.
Wouldn't it be more commercially savvy for BA engage in a licencing agreement with BF directly as Fractsoft already do? Plus Fractsofts business is all about selling people ways to optimise strategies so might not want a partnership with another 'model testing' company. The crossover is simply too big and would limit their own product development to things BA don't do, and visa versa for BA. That isn't a good thing for their own potential uses of the historical data.

A licence for this functional use only (ie encrypted and not fully open to the end user) might be of interest to BF or might be cheaper than 'any use' data. The lawyers would know better than me if it might also slowdown and increase the costs for any competitor who was already poised and ready to go with the more openly available formats.

Removing any relationship issues with Fractsoft also removes all that messy old pie-slicing making it potentailly cheaper for the end user, if the full benefit were passed on.

A direct relationship with BF makes it easier to stay aligned with any changes BF make to core data too rather than being at the mercy of an intermediary who is either slow to conform, pushes the format in an undesirable direction, or goes belly up. If I want Bloomberg data I'd go to Bloomberg, not buy it repackaged by someone else. This seems to be a similar situation.

After all that waffle, it's not actually a feature I can see myself using much, but an interesting one none the less. If IF it could be integrated without messing with core BA too much. The devil is in the detail with these things, especially when it appears the team are committed to keeping BA as one core version stream, rather than branching to a separate sandbox version, lite version, app version etc etc. which would be a disaster.

:D That's probably the first posting I've made on a subject I fully understand, I wouldn't hold much store by some of the others I make on trading topics.
ShaunWhite

Hobsom wrote: This could remove the licensing problem as the data would just be a mass of ambiguous odds data only.
Sadly not that easy Hobsom, it's still capture and use of the data. Peter would probably end up trading from inside Pentonville.
Hobsom

I'm sure they'd let him off. After all they're sending him xmas presents now :-)
I do obviously see your point though.

I would personally love to look at automation for other markets that I don't really understand as yet, from a trading perspective anyway, like football or tennis, and the BAMI could facilitate the creation and refinement of automated systems that may feel too time consuming to trial over weeks or months.
The automation learning curve may also become a little less steep and time consuming.
jimibt

in view of the recent spate of account restrictions, due to (potentially) excessive use of practice mode, I think the time has come to seriously review the approach suggested here. Not only would it prevent account restriction, it would bring additional revenue to BA whilst satisfying demand.
welshboy06

It would be good of we had an easy to use piece of software that can import the market streaming data BF offer. I know it's an expensive option but it will allow robust back testing for the average user.

This can be done using LinusP's Betfair lightweight API but not everyone on this forum is comfortable with Python or even programming at all
Barnobee

I have just voted, this would be a brilliant feature for many reasons.

Rich
BetScalper

Vote YES from me.
Korattt

yes from me because if possible I could test some automation without wasting an afternoon trying it when I could be trading, not all of us have the capacity to do both at the same time, testing & trading

Return to “Suggestions”