dedicated servers for bet angel

Help improve Bet Angel.
ancientsong

Could someone from admin/software development please tell me an approximate time when betangel will offer a dedicated server package with it's software?

Peter mentioned it at a course I attended recently,I am eager to get it as I Live abroad.

I'd like to know because I've been wanting to sign up with a dedicated server provider but would much prefer to sign up via betangel, but if its gonna take a few months I might as well sign up with the other one until bet angel is ready

thanks fo your reply in advance ;)
jimrobo

do you mean remote desktop into a server??

a cheaper alternative is to just sign up for a windows VPS with a london datacentre hosting company. I have one I use for back up in case I have any routing problems to betfair with my ISP. Not that it makes much difference when it is usually betfair that has the problem!
ancientsong

yeah a remote desktop server is want I meant,
I'll have a look into the VPS idea, thanks Jimrobo, I don't know the 1st thing about these things, so is there any company you recommend?, I just want it just to use betangel to improve response times which is currently around 450-500 from where I am

any guidance on what package or price plan to get would be appreciated as I don't wanna spend extra for things in the plan I don't need :)
jimrobo

Mine is with these guys

www.webhosting.uk.com/

I think I pay about £25 a month for it. Response times are around 15 ms BUT bear in mind if your response times are 350 this won't suddenly make your actual response times 15 ms.

If you are 350 ms away from betfair you are also 350 ms away from the VPS! This means that you may get the illusion you are connecting to betfair fast because on your screen you are seeing fast numbers and a response time of 15 ms on your screen but you are actually still 350 ms behind in connecting to the VPS.

I tried using mine from italy and it was a nightmare
ancientsong

thanks for the reply jimrobo, I actually have one running now with the betangel software,Peter emailed me about it and he recommended http://www.tagadab.com
it works so much better than without it, my response times in Australia were 1000+ in connection mode "0" and around 450 in connection mode 1, now it's 15-60 in in connection "0"

ya right, there is a slight delay, but it works far better than without it if your trading from the other side of the world like I am.
jimrobo

Yeh doesn't say where their datacentre is though???

It is an illusion of speed though you still are physically connecting to betfair at exactly the same speed. In fact probably slower. It is impossible to get it any faster as it still has to go from your pc to betfair and travel down the same optic fibre accross the world. You can't make that bit any faster.
ancientsong

yeah I guess thats true, but it seems it be making my trading easier in any case, I'm on the 1 week trial so I'll see how I get on after the next few days
PeterLe

Hi,
Just a thought...
I notice that when you opt for a dedicated server from one of these providers you have two choices; A Virtual Server or a dedicated server....(Typical costs £10/month V £45?month resp....)

I run VMware on my apple Imac..I have four Virtual Windows xp instances running, two with betangel loaded up....(Dont always have four running; sometimes just one instance)..

If I put my Laptop in front on my imac and load up the same market on Betangel, you can see a very small time delay (dont know what it is but expect it is less than 100ms ??)...but it is def there.

I'm running an automated strategy that doesnt run as well on my mac as it does if I run it from my laptop...(in terms of P/L at the end of the day)...(To get around this I'm going to install bootcamp and install native windows on my mac so I can boot into windows)...

...Anyway, my point was...just be a little wary of this tiny but not insignificant delay that might occur....if you trade a lot and can cover the larger cost...it might be better to go for the dedicated server rather than the virtual...

..just a thought..
Thanks
Peter
jimrobo

£45 for a dedicated server??

That seems really really cheap?? Either you are getting a seriously low spec 2nd hand machine or it isn't actually fully dedicated???
PeterLe

Hi
I saw it on http://www.tagadab.com
It was £49 not £45....
Regards
Peter
jimrobo

it says £49 but then when you go to the packages page the cheapest is £59 and it is really low spec.

You're probably getting more power with a higher spec VPS

Return to “Suggestions”