Forum upgrade

We will update this with things that we think you should know.
Geordie

Dallas wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:05 pm
Geordie wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:03 pm
Is there a link to 'view unread posts" in this upgrade as per the last forum?

I can't see one. This saves an awful lot of time.
Top left corner under quick links
Cheers, Dallas :)
Euler

to75ne wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:56 pm
it does not fit on one page anymore, seems to be hell of lot of scrowling involved
Should autofit now to many different devices.
napshnap

Don't like new design.
jimibt

napshnap wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:18 pm
Don't like new design.
yes, it feels like a mobile skin trying to fit the desktop space. on 1920*1080 it feels gappy. that said, i know from experience that once used to it, it wo't seem so bad ;)
Euler

Maybe you need to resize just this page and font to fit. Tricky to get everything to fit every device nowadays.
napshnap

Tricky to get everything to fit every device nowadays.
Is it even necessary? Are there more mobile/tablet forum users than PC users?
xitian

Gonna have to agree with the thumbs down people on this one. There's waaay more white space, which means a lot more scrolling and hard to see what's going on one page. A refresh of the Active Topics link shows me 3 topics before I have to scroll down (BetAngel heading takes up a third of the screen). Previously I would have thought it'd be more like 10-15 immediately on screen. After scrolling down I can fit 9.5 topics on screen vs what was probably at least 20. This problem is compounded on a mobile view and there's no way to "zoom out". Previously on a mobile you could at least zoom in to whatever size you wanted (I'm using Safari on iPhone).

I think the previous version, although perhaps less modern-looking, was actually very good functionally. I must admit I haven't noticed that any key features are easier to access either now? And given no extra functionality like "like" buttons have been added, it feels like a bit of a step backwards to me. (In fact, my most used link was "Active Topics", and now I need two clicks to get there rather than only one previously).

If the upgrade was done with the users in mind, then I'd suggest doing a poll?
Euler

We couldn't keep the old design and have an upgrade path so we had to move. Maybe we can lose the logo and create some more space that way.

We can add a nav link to active topics.
Samo154

Looks pretty awful on my iPad compared to the last version. Don't like how the authors names are on the right either, a lot harder to navigate, it's a no from me. sorry
xitian

Euler wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:23 pm
We couldn't keep the old design and have an upgrade path so we had to move. Maybe we can lose the logo and create some more space that way.
Ok, that's understandable then.

I think some fairly basic stylesheet changes would go a long way. There's just a lot of padding and margins that aren't needed. Attached are two examples. First is what I see now on 1920x1080, with lots of space that could be removed, and also a note of how simply having the time on a new line is using up an extra line of space. Second image is one where I've just gone into Chrome and updated some styles "on the fly" (you can right click and "inspect" elements and modify what you see). Finally, on the second shot I've zoomed out to 80% using Chrome (could potentially change the base font-sizes to make that default), and I've chopped the heading area so it's a bit smaller.
Euler wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:23 pm
We can add a nav link to active topics.
Yes, please!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeTiss

Do new posts appear on the homepage? - that looks empty
LeTiss

Any additional swear filters for me to try and avoid?
to75ne

in my opinion this is a downgrade but having said that its the content that matters not the image.

bit of a shame really, A for effort but a F for outcome, just like when the enhanced ladder screen was upgraded, resulted in a backward step, a solution to a non problem.
LeTiss

I suppose it's a question of familiarity - It's like asking a right hander to have a wank with his left

Not a lover of the new design at present, but I'm sure everyone will get used to it
workpeter

I view website on mobile.

Agree the scrolling is annoying.
Would be good if I could see 8 active topics without scrolling.currently I have to scroll down then I can only see 4 in my screen.

Return to “Announcements”