New Betfair outage cancellation policy

We will update this with things that we think you should know.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Please read the following statement from Betfair: -

https://promotions.betfair.com/customer ... -update-uk
Here’s our new, transparent outages policy which we believe tells you exactly where you stand and creates a level playing field for customers who are using the site at the time of an outage.

1. How will Betfair maintain a level playing field around outages?

One of your key concerns was that during outages some customers are able to place bets through channels such as Betfair Mobile and our API, potentially gaining an unfair advantage over customers betting via the website.

In the event of an unplanned Sports Exchange outage, we will disable the betting functionality across all channels, ensuring a level playing field. However, should Betfair Mobile and/or our API go down, you will be able to continue betting on the Sports Exchange and this will not constitute an outage.

2. Will my bets be cancelled?

We will now cancel unmatched bets in the following instances:

Unmatched bets on markets which are In-Play at any time during an outage.
Bets which, when an outage ends, are unmatched on horse and greyhound races that are due to take place within the next 20 minutes; also, financial markets bets which are unmatched at the start of an outage. These markets are included because they are particularly volatile and are subject to notable odds fluctuations.
Bets which, at the moment betting is disabled, are unmatched on outright winner markets where there may be material price changes due to related In-Play events. For example, a tennis tournament winner market when a tournament semi-final is taking place at the time an outage begins.
rubysglory

I Offset with the ' Place At SP ' option a lot as insurance in case my computer crashes or internet drops etc. Received the following from Betfair which others may find comfort in:

Email Question:

At the moment betting is disabled, I have bets unmatched (example Horse Racing), but the unmatched bets have the 'Take SP' option applied to them. Are my bets still placed at SP ?

Betfair Response:

Thank you for your e-mail.In the case of an outage no SP bets are cancelled and will settled once the site comes back up. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further enquiries.

rg
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Site has just crashed, so lets see if they are true to thier word.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Bets honoured!
LeTiss

Of course, this is no consolation for people who lost a serious wedge of money on a trade, simply because of an ill-timed outage, but at least the cancelling of all bets is good news.
This means we don't have to sit around hoping it will be back soon, we can just take it on the chin and bail out with a bookie or Betdaq. Sure, it will still cost money, but we now know we won't lose a fortune, and we know our bets won't be a sitting duck for quick fingered traders to hoover it up on return
sportinwest

I don't see any news in this. Instead of using resources on so called "news" betfair should deal with the real problem. That people still get caught with an open position and lose there money.

Betfair should cancel all bets ( matched and unmatched) on the affected markets. But ofcourse they won't do that. That would cost them some money in lost commission.
LeTiss

I don't agree with that

I'm the first to moan when I get caught out, but to cancel all bets from the market is ridiculous. If I'd made £30 from a trade in the morning, why should that get voided if BF had an outage for 30mins in the afternoon?
freddy

sportinwest wrote:I don't see any news in this. Instead of using resources on so called "news" betfair should deal with the real problem. That people still get caught with an open position and lose there money.

Betfair should cancel all bets ( matched and unmatched) on the affected markets. But ofcourse they won't do that. That would cost them some money in lost commission.
So i place a bet on a horse first thing in the morning then go off to work, come home, check the racing results and see that it's won, check my balance only to see my bet has been voided because of site problems that did not effect me at all.

Thats hardly fair is it ?

It's a complete myth imo that Betfair don't void bets because it would cost them in commision. They don't do it because it would be unfair to do anything any different.
sportinwest

well, what would you rather have. One winning bet voided or lose half you bank because of a break down. I know what I would go with.

By the way, this is already happening whit horses that are withdrawen. And nobody seems to complaining about that.

Return to “Announcements”