Practice Mode

We will update this with things that we think you should know.
PeterLe

Hi
Nice piece of work in V1.28
Over the years I have often hit a point of diminishing returns where I can't increase my stakes any higher (or so I think)..It just costs too much TBH if I get it wrong..
I know this practice mode wont be 'exactly' the same but just had a play around and it looks really good.

This will enable me to test strategies (one on a live account normal stakes and one on a practice account with much bigger stakes) and compare/contrast at the end of the day.

...and I can pretend I'm the big backer for the day too!! ;)
Well done and thanks for putting the effort in
regards
Peter
LeTiss

I think BA have gone the right way about it by seperating the live markets from practice ones

I also like the fact they haven't tried to simulate a market and it's potential moves, but I just feel that using £2 stakes in a live market will teach you just as much. I struggle to see why someone would pay £150 per year for software, but be too scared to use proper stakes

The previous requests were suggesting a simulated model was a great idea, I disagreed and still do
Zapata

This is great for setting up spreadsheets, a brilliant addition. Well done BA.

It would be a massive addition if data feeds could be directed away from BF to pre-saved race data files on the hard drive allowing practice and spreadsheet design 24/7 - offline.
Euler

It will always be better to use real money for sure and you will never know if a strategy works until you do . But at least people now have an environment to play around in and get used to all the features.
Alpha322

Euler wrote:It will always be better to use real money for sure and you will never know if a strategy works until you do . But at least people now have an environment to play around in and get used to all the features.
Have we a practice money mode now like the others on the otherside Zikes please say we have and where :shock: :shock:
Alpha322

Does Beta version mean its not reliable, (may have teathing problems)
Euler

We have been using it for some time without problems. We just put it out as a beta to let you know it hasn't been mass tested. But we have had no reported problems at the moment and probably shouldn't have, as this release is focused on the intergration of the practice mode. If you use it live you shouldn't see any difference.
Horatio05

Have just downloaded 1.28.0. But I cannot find the practice mode. How do we switch practice mode on and off?
Euler

When you log on.
Horatio05

Hahaha - you could not have made it easier. Customers, where would you be without us....
Innertube

Excellent work.
SpikeyBob

When it comes to pre-race horse trading, I have always been of the opinion that trading for small stakes will teach you a lot more than a training mode. That said, I do see it's value in this area as well for absolute beginners.

I have several football strategies that when modelled seem to be positive, but it will now be nice to test these out in a 'pseudo live' environment. I can also test any future excel bots with this in the knowledge that it isn't going to 'do my bank' on something stupid.

Hats off to the BA team for listening to their customers and also implementing this in what appears to be an excellent way.

Thanks

SB
Alpha322

SpikeyBob wrote: Hats off to the BA team for listening to their customers and also implementing this in what appears to be an excellent way.

SB
Its a Shame Betfair wont do this listen to there customers, when they go down what ever bets were taken on should be cancelled, although i must give them credit where credit is due, all have been quite stable and Rosey for the past month :roll:
mugsgame

I have a question about practice mode. I thought i would post it on the forum as others might have the same question.

Does practice mode use up any data request capability? I thought about running it alongside "Live" mode. My guess it it does. But would like to know for sure.

Cheers
Steve
Euler

It uses real market data and monitors real traded volume to feel as accurate as possible, so yes it does use up your allowance as though you were trading live. But less than if you were as you don't actually make any calls to Betfair other than to retrieve odds and matched bet data.

Return to “Announcements”