Best video recording software?

Help, advice and trading in technicolour
Eddthemaker

eightbo wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:29 am
Guys please don't be paying for any screen recording software.

Use OBS (google it). It's used by gamers and content creators to stream to platforms such as twitch/youtube and can also record local files. It's free and there are tons of tutorials on how to set it up available on youtube.

You can record to a local file, set the resolution and any hotkeys you want for various tasks (start/stop recording, use push-to-talk for your microphone etc.) all in all plenty of functionality.
Lastly and most importantly (for me) -- no watermark.

It's quite something looking back on trades, really showcases mistakes and how different we can become in the decision-making process in the moment when we are affected by emotion vs. when we are thinking logically watching in a relaxed setting.

Have fun guys 8-)
While I do agree that OBS is okay, it's not as simple as you think. I've used it for a while, but my PC was handling it really terribly. Plus I really needed to watch a few guides to set it so I could record remotely fine. Be that as it may I paid for Mirillis Action! and didn't have to bother with inserting all the smallest details before I could record properly.
elofan0

eightbo

Eddthemaker wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:04 pm
While I do agree that OBS is okay, it's not as simple as you think. I've used it for a while, but my PC was handling it really terribly. Plus I really needed to watch a few guides to set it so I could record remotely fine. Be that as it may I paid for Mirillis Action! and didn't have to bother with inserting all the smallest details before I could record properly.
Sure. Whatever works for you my man there's no one-size fits all solution as obviously different people will have different needs.

Ultimately it just becomes a case of internally asking yourself:
- Do I want to faff around learning some new stuff? It may cost me some time, but might that knowledge be useful to me later in life?
- Or am I happy to pay for a solution that probably gets the job done which may sacrifice some flexibility in the files it produces?

As long as everyone is aware that the more simplistic something like this is to set up, it likely converts into having less control over what it is you're doing.
This can then translate into:
  • Too small file sizes (blurry; low bitrate, too low resolutions)
  • Too large file sizes (5x the file size via excessively high bitrates at no extra video clarity, unnecessarily high resolutions, inefficient frame rates e.g. 45/60 fps recordings)
  • File formats which might not work so well with other programs (some potentials are .mkv, .mpeg, .flv), this can lead to playback issues on the media player you use at home/work, or they don't import correctly into other programs due to their encoding
If the only goal is to say 'have a file I can watch back' and nothing else matters, then yes sure there are probably many other simpler solutions, but OBS can match everything they would do (and probably more in a few cases), and at no cost. There's plenty of guides etc. as the user base for OBS could well be the largest of any screen recording software and that user base is chock full of existing content-creators.

Obviously a huge factor in this is how much data you plan to capture. If you plan on recording thousands of races, you'll want to make sure your file size is somewhat optimised otherwise you're just going to end up spending extra cash on hard drives at a later date. But if you're just after recording a days worth of trading here and there then it's not that big of a deal.

Whatever you guys decide, I don't think there should be any situation in which anyone is paying more than, say, £10 one-off fee for such software (...and I'd still recommend tweaking what settings you can to minimise file size once you're happy with a chosen solution).

All the best
Emmson

I'm trying out iSpring today and I always test out freeware via cnet, would never download freeware directly.
Euler

I've started using OBS. Tricky to get to grips with first as it's a production tool really, rather than a screen recorder. But once you have your head around it, it works really well.
Kai

OBS is a fantastic piece of software, can't recommend it enough, the fact that it's both free and open source is mind-blowing. It's also the #1 choice for live streaming as well (for Twitch streamers etc), the only downside being that it's not as user-friendly as some of the others if you want to do some of the more advanced stuff.

I've never looked back since I started using it, I usually have it running in the background but I've even assigned a windows shortcut to it (ALT+CTRL+O) so that I can bring it up fast whenever I need to and I've put shortcuts at F4 to start recording and F5 to stop recording.

Return to “Betfair trading videos - For current videos visit www.betangel.tv”