Inplay Soccer Betting Aus

Jayslow

Gents,
I understand Australian law restricts in-play betting on soccer games.
I have been managing to bypass this by going through a UK proxy. I also have a UK address, but today I received this email.

We have identified your Betfair account being used from Australia to place bets over the internet on sporting markets that are in-play.

This email is to serve as a reminder and initial warning against this kind of behaviour in the future. Any future breaches detected by us could result in restrictions being placed on your account or even account suspension.

Due to the Interactive Gambling Act it is a federal offence for a wagering operator to permit customers present in Australia to place bets over the internet on sporting markets that have already commenced play. It is also against our Terms and Conditions to allow any person other than the account holder to access an account.

If you wish place bets on markets that are in-play you may do so via our telephone betting service (in-play betting by the telephone is permitted under the Interactive Gambling Act).

If you intend to use your Betfair account from a jurisdiction that permits in-play betting over the internet we request that you contact our Help Desk on 1800 644 738 and provide us with the dates that you will be outside Australia and the countries you will be travelling to. We will require you to send a copy of an itinerary or proof of an overseas address (hotel booking etc) to either [email protected] or GPO 192, Hobart, TAS, 7001. On receipt of the above information we will lift the restriction on your account to permit in-play betting over the internet for the period of your overseas travelling.

If you have any queries, please contact the Help Desk on 1800 644 738.

I could use the telephone system, but prefer not too since I use Bet Angel for automation on overnight games. Any advice much appreciated?
gazuty

Betfair face a large fine if they accept a bet from an Australian account holder in play (other than horses).

Can't see anything wrong with their approach on this.

Write to or go and speak to your local mp and the relevant federal ministers and get the law changed.
burdo77

If you are keen on soccer betting matchbook is available and I do believe there is software available with other providers.
Jayslow

Yes I can understand Betfair's stance, it's just frustrating having that functionality taken away.

Thanks I'll do some testing with Matchbook, so that hasn't been restricted in Australia? Or they're less vigilant?
Jayslow

Completed some research on Matchbook and WBX. Both exchanges support In-Play betting from Australia. It's something to do with the licence location.

That at least gives me alternative, just a concern over the liquidity and whether there's software similar to Bet Angel to allow automation.
burdo77

I believe software is in early stages if you search the internet you will find the provider. Software is not as good as betangel but that is the way it is.
Euler

Before you attempt doing so read the Matchbook thread: -

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9138&start=20

I can't imagine any company acting illegally in any jurisdiction will last that long TBH. History has taught us that. It only needs a competitor to point it out before the the situation is rectified.
Jayslow

It's to do with the licence location, Betfair are restricted because they have Australian licence. Where as WBX, Matchbet and Smarkets are based elsewhere. They can legally offer inplay options.

Seems like some shoddy legislation to me.
burdo77

[quote][Seems like some shoddy legislation to me./quote]

I don't see how it is any more dodgy than betfair allowing in play for horse racing! Who's to say that the government won't send betfair bankrupt over ignoring such legislation.
Euler

I'm surprised you would be restricted if you have a UK account though? What's going on there? I reckon a large proportion of Betfair's UK accounts are owned by people from overseas.
Jayslow

It goes off the IP address.. That's why I thought going through a UK proxy would be fine.

Most likely slipped up at some point and logged in from Australia.
Euler

If you use a VPS you can't slip up as it will always be a EU IP address
burdo77

Sometimes they route the VPS through a banned location if there are problems with the proxy. That's my experience anyway!
Shamrock

How long were you using the proxy before betfair emailed you?

A couple of alarm bells for Betfair,
While you have a UK address, are you funding the account from an Australian bank?
Are you using your Australian IP address pre inplay and your UK IP for inplay on the same account.
Is your email address generic, ie hotmail etc and not ending in .au

If you have not done any of the above they should not know where you are.
WinningStreak

Most of Betfairs accounts are owned by poeple overseas :geek:

Return to “Australian”